Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT

Options
  • 24-11-2008 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey

Does anyone know what the penalty is for not having a NCT completed on a car? Friend of mine got stopped by the guards and has 10 days to produce the NCT certificate even though the car has not been put through it in a good few years.

Thanks
    TS

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There are a few people in Jail at the moment for not having an NCT, it all depends on the judge you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TradeSecrets

jonny24ie wrote: »
    There are a few people in Jail at the moment for not having an NCT, it all depends on the judge you get.

Is that not a wee bit extreme ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

jonny24ie wrote: »

Do you have a source to back that claim up with? I'd say jail would only be a factor if you were fined and refused to pay.

OP, I don't think there's a standard penalty for not having an NCT, but the famous case of Judge Terence Finn in Cork attracted a €250 fine:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0404/finnt.html?rss

There are no penalty points in place yet for lack of NCT.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Nope, its a criminal offence to not have a valid NCT on your car. If you couldn't be bothered then you will pay for it.

I think our courts should be dealing with more serious crime etc but alot of people are driving around in cars that wouldn't pass an NCT and if they caused a death what would you do?

phutyle wrote: »
    Do you have a source to back that claim up with? I'd say jail would only be a factor if you were fined and refused to pay.

OP, I don't think there's a standard penalty for not having an NCT, but the famous case of Judge Terence Finn in Cork attracted a €250 fine:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0404/finnt.html?rss

There are no penalty points in place yet for lack of NCT.

I work in the prison service, I wouldn't post up anyones information but I know of a good few people that are in for no NCT serving between 1-3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nope but the court sanctioned daily anal rape is seen as a tad bit extreme by some.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have never read a report of someone going to jail for not having an NCT nor am I aware of anything within the various road traffic acts for same!
    Its usually a fine imposed.

kbannon wrote: »
    I have never read a report of someone going to jail for not having an NCT nor am I aware of anything within the various road traffic acts for same!
    Its usually a fine imposed.

As i said it all depends on the judge you get on the day, if your a repeat offender I would presume you would get some jail time. Other than that I would expect a fine. (Also remember that if you fail to pay the fine on time you will end up in jail, this is what some people could be in for now)

Advertisement