Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Installing Broadband Modem

Options
  • 24-11-2008 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recieved a BT modem from IFA Telecom to get me started with broadband. Right, i thought this was gonna be handy - only a matter of plugging in the wires............... seems not unfortuntely.

I plug in the wires and the DSL light flashes but the internet light doesnt come on.

Could anyone help me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Have you had DSL enabled on your line? You can't get broadband without this having been done.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Yup, IFA Telecom was to have it enabled before I recieved the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

OK, What are the settings in the modem config:

It should be:

VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

User: Given to you by IFA telecom
    PAssword: Given to you by IFA telecom

How long ago did you order?

MC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is your modem gaining sync for a start?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I dont know what the settings are - how would i find these MC?

I rang IFA Telecom there they said that the line was enabled for DSL from November 14th so that isnt the problem.

They told me to go to the main socket and plug all the other phones out. Problem is that the house was built in 1970s and the main socket is not near an electrical socket and i dont know how the other telephone points are wired (i.e extentions)
    Cabaal
    Is your modem gaining sync for a start?

I havent a clue - i'm a newbie to all of this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement