Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford halting site device explodes

• 24-11-2008 12:21pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

More fun! :rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1124/waterford.html
    A device exploded after it was thrown into a halting site in Waterford last night.

Gardaí are investigating the incident which happened at around 11.40pm at Bilberry, off Rice Bridge, in Waterford city.

The Defence Forces described the device as crude and homemade and said it had already exploded when it was examined.
    Advertisement

The Army Bomb Disposal Unit was called to investigate the device and declared the area safe at 8.40am this morning

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did they have the fight yet?

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Do we have to have more threads about these people enough is enough.I know unfortunatly they wont GO AWAY but even still think, we all have had our fill of it.Just a final point think it was a disgrace of news and star to publish that front page photo of those people looking for a fight :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

decies wrote: »
    Do we have to have more threads about these people enough is enough.I know unfortunatly they wont GO AWAY but even still think, we all have had our fill of it.Just a final point think it was a disgrace of news and star to publish that front page photo of those people looking for a fight :mad:.

The irony was they probably couldn't read the headline :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

There is obviously some element somewhere that doesnt want this sorted.. So in the meantime this is gonna continue and more people get hurt.. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mike65 wrote: »
    Did they have the fight yet?

Mike

Wait till the News and Star is out. If it aint front page of the main paper, it will be front page of the sports section. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

What's a Halting Site Device and why did it explode?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gulliver wrote: »
    What's a Halting Site Device and why did it explode?

Not sure if you are serious or taking the piss... but..

Basically, a home made bomb was thrown into one of the halting sites (where travellers live/locate) which then exploded. Most of the time these bombs dont explode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Sully wrote: »
    Not sure if you are serious or taking the piss... but..

Basically, a home made bomb was thrown into one of the halting sites (where travellers live/locate) which then exploded. Most of the time these bombs dont explode.

Sorry, was taking the mickeh! The headline just sounded like they had some mad futuristic Traveller technology.

EDIT: And oh yeah - glad no one was hurt. It was just the headline that amused me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

@Gulliver - Would have thought you'd have know all about it being a traveller yourself:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Has anyone else come to the point when it doesn't even register when you read about these goings on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

spot the difference :D:D

http://www.waterford-news.com/

i think the news and star solved their first crime!!

its only a joke s dont take it serious!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Mickdots wrote: »
    spot the difference :D:D

http://www.waterford-news.com/

i think the news and star solved their first crime!!

its only a joke s dont take it serious!! ;)

Hah thats brilliant. Perfect down to the hair and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Spotted that myself! Bizarre eh?!
    But shame on them for even running this story. Its not going to solve anything just more barefaced publicity its ridiculous. With such proceedings lately there are obviously people involved who are just looking for an excuse to cause harm and injury whether it be to members of the traveling community or otherwise. Thought it would just blow over but with the elevation of occurrences lately it might be a more long term problem unfortunately.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The fight is going ahead in March '09 with a €60,000 prize. One of the Sunday rags carried the story yesterday. According to the article, the two guys are heading away to a training camp to prepare for this fight like any professional boxer would normally do leading up to a pro fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

60,000 ...jesus christ, even the guys in the ufc don't get that per fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

so eh,are they all dead?

I see its page 5 this week in the News & Star about a possible fight - this time with the lad that has accepted the fight (looks stronger to me but I suppose there is more to it then looks). He has put down a total of €20,000 and wants his opponent to do the same. Four others want to take part in the fight (five altogether) so it comes to €100,000. Apparently they are already trained and ready so are waiting for the decision from the Waterford crew.

Wonder will we see this on Sky Sports??!

The bomb was a nail bomb, u-nails and plenty of them. People arrested but not charged yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

What a joke. I thought this was about resotring honour/ending a feud. By bringing money into it they've just well and truly decimated any sort of reason for even having this fight in the first place. Its a moot subject now as far as I'm considered and will definitely not be the 'be all to end all resolution' that the media are hyping it up to be. I wouldn't even give the ****ers any media coverage whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Wish I had €20,000 to bet on a fight :(
    ....Actually I just wish I had €20,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

How about as they are all gathered for their fight, the Gaurds could round every single one of them up and charge them with offences against the state and lock them up for life.

Scum who commit crimes like this don't deserve to have freedom.

What if their had of been kids playing at the halting site ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement