Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Pavlova Week

• 24-11-2008 12:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Ive heard to day its national pavolva week. :D All the schools are making them as part of the push for the less haste, less waste in the kitchen campaign running at the moment.

Anyone got a good recipie please?

..and also....what could I flavour one with. I was thinking coffee or maybe mint (not too keen on that one though) or vanilla.

14.03pm

Just thought of another one or two...

When Im spooning the mix onto the tray, I might do a raspberry ripple effect to see how it turns out. I think a strong raspberry syrup could do the trick.

I was thinking about doing the same with butterscotch/caramel, but maybe that would be too sickly sweet.

Cinnamon would be another and you could spoon apple strudle mix on top of the cream...

Thinking of others....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I make my pavlova according to Delia Smith's recipe - with no added vinegar, cornflour etc.
    I whisk 4 eggwhites until stiff (when you hold the bowl over your head they won't slip out), then slowly add 8oz of caster sugar a few tablespoons at a time, beating until it's glossy and the sugar is all incorporated. Usually I'll add vanilla extract towards the end.
    I smoothe it out into a circle on baking parchment and put it into an oven that's been preheated to 150C, immediately turning it down to 140C. I bake it for an hour, then switch the oven off and leave it in there to cool.
    I gave up trying to make my pavlova fancy around the edges, now I just leave it the same height all the way across and it's lovely and marshmallowy in the centre.
    This method of making a pavlova has never failed.
    If you want to make a smaller one, just reduce the number of eggs by one and the ounces of sugar by 2.

To make the parchment stick to the tin, put a couple of blobs of the mixture under there - it sticks like glue. Also, for ease of serving, I cover the baking sheet with tinfoil before putting the parchment on - then it can be served straight off of it. If you try to move a large pavlova to a plate it'll break up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

My favourite is the Chocolate Raspberry Pavlova but I don't know if my recipe is available online. I'll check later today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

My Mother in Law does a fantastic hazelnut pavlova in two layers with fresh cream in between - served with a tangy apricot sauce made from dried apricots.

Advertisement