Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Ale in Ireland - Pubs that DO sell it.

• 24-11-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, in light of the popularity of the 'Real Ale' thread I thought it might be a good idea to have a definitive list of pubs in Ireland that sell real ales.

Folk can contribute every time they discover a pub that sells real ale.
    I would also suggest that if people are heading out for a night on the town they consult this list and support a pub selling real ale.

Perhaps we could even suggest that the next Official Big Boards Beers (not forum based ones) take place in a pub that sells real ales?

So who'll get the ball rolling? :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Firstly can we define real ale, or are we taking CAMRA's definition?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Okay, in light of the popularity of the 'Real Ale' thread I thought it might be a good idea to have a definitive list of pubs in Ireland that sell real ales.

Folk can contribute every time they discover a pub that sells real ale.
    I would also suggest that if people are heading out for a night on the town they consult this list and support a pub selling real ale.

Perhaps we could even suggest that the next Official Big Boards Beers (not forum based ones) take place in a pub that sells real ales?

So who'll get the ball rolling? :)

Tara's Speciality Beer House, Ballina Co. Tipperary.
    Draught:
    Galway Hooker & Rusty

At least once a year there is a beer festival here that lasts a week with a good few craft beers on draught.

There is often another beer on draught tbut i cannot recall the name (didnt like it much).

Bottles:

Black Sheep
    HobGoblin
    London Pride
    ESB
    Bishops Finger
    Spitfire
    Banana Bread Beer
    Chocolate Stout
    & others I forget.

Notable Absentees:
    Brakspears, Bombardier & Youngs

Additional:
    Lots of beers from lots of places, notably Budvar & Erdinger on Draught.

Lots of other bottles of beer & Cider from alot of other places amongst them:
    Chimay
    Westermalle
    Sam Adams

FBP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

noby wrote: »
    Firstly can we define real ale, or are we taking CAMRA's definition?

Hee hee, can of worms alert :)
    I'm not the best person to ask as I'm not a brewer. CAMRA tend to be very strict about what they call real ale. I would probably be less strict but wouldn't go so far as to call Smithwicks, Caffreys and the like 'real ale'.

Let's see how the thread develops and what the experts think...

I've put the can opener down. But there must be some criteria, otherwise you're just excluding the likes of Smithwicks on personal taste, and that's a whole other can of worms you don't want to go near.

Without getting into the nitty gritty of cask breathers and the like, can we not, for the sake of this thread come up with some sort of definition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

OK - lets nip this in the bud (excuse the pun), before we delude ourselves that Real is Available on Tap in Ireland !!!

Firstly 'Real Ale' it NOT widely available (Apart from 'Porterhouse TSB' Nassau St + 'Porterhouse TSB' Temple Bar - as far as I know .....

Real Ale 'On Tap' is NOT available in 99.99% of Irish Pubs.

Real Ale = Cask Ale= Hand Pumped from a Cask = CAMRA definition.

• Advertisement

Hence the need for an "Irish " definition.
    And as I said on the other thread, there is more than Porterhouse. Not much more but there is. Rusty in Tara's is indeed cask ale. Tigh Bhric in Kerry brew their own, and serve it on cask. Similarly the Well in Cork, although maybe not all the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yeah, I don't think "Real Ale" is a helpful term to use. And "Good Beer" is too subjective a notion. Could it be that what you're looking for are places that sell English ales?

For a list of pubs and restaurants that sell Irish craft beer of all stripes, see Noby's list here.

Up north there are a handful of JDWs, plus the Whitewater and Hilden outlets mentioned on Noby's list.
    Real Ale = Cask Ale= Hand Pumped from a Cask = CAMRA definition.
    Not true. CAMRA have long since recognised bottle conditioning as "Real Ale in a Bottle". UK bottle-conditioned beers will often have a badge on the label saying "CAMRA says this is Real Ale".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭coillcam

The Old Stand in Mullingar has a great selection of bottled beers. A lot of the English stuff is there and plenty more from around the world. No ale on tap though presuming you discount Smithwick's

Hence the need for an "Irish " definition.
    And as I said on the other thread, there is more than Porterhouse. Not much more but there is. Rusty in Tara's is indeed cask ale. Tigh Bhric in Kerry brew their own, and serve it on cask. Similarly the Well in Cork, although maybe not all the time.

Yes indeed Noby, but thats just three, or maybe four Pub's? in the whole Country :confused: and thats presuming the two you mention actually have a 'hand pump' at the Bar that pours Ale of the 'CAMRA' criteria as mentioned in the previous post.

BOTTLED ALE's DON'T COUNT.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the CAMRA criteria, so for the final time, there are not that many in the country, but rest assured the few I mentioned have a proper beer engine/cask setup. Not having been to their cellars I don't know if they have a cask breather that CAMRA looks down their nose at, and frankly I don't care.

Do Messers have occasional casks on?

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think "Real Ale" is a helpful term to use. And "Good Beer" is too subjective a notion. Could it be that what you're looking for are places that sell English ales?
    No. I'm looking for pubs that sell a decent selection of 'real ale' (for want of a better term. There are plenty of good belgian ales that would fit into my definition of real ales but I can see that there is indeed a need for a better definition of ales in Ireland.

:(

This thread really isn't doing what I hoped it would do :) Perhaps we should try to better define 'real', 'good', 'great' ales... :)

Camelot wrote: »

BOTTLED ALE's DON'T COUNT.

Camelot, have a read of this please.
    CAMRA wrote:
    CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, supports real ale in a bottle. This is the next best thing, and the bottled equivalent, to the draught real ales you can enjoy at the pub.

No. Anything he has casked for festivals recently (Imperial, Best, Porter, Extra, Bock) is only ever sold from the keg in MM itself.

There used to be a house cask bitter called Pale, but it's long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Gingerman sells the Lady's Well stuff, repackaged, and on tap.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    No. I'm looking for pubs that sell a decent selection of 'real ale' (for want of a better term. There are plenty of good belgian ales that would fit into my definition of real ales but I can see that there is indeed a need for a better definition of ales in Ireland.
    Right, well, if I'm looking for a selection of bottle-conditioned beers in Dublin I would go to The Bull & Castle or one of the Porterhouses. And that's it.

You'll get token bottles of Chimay or Duvel in the likes of Thomas Read on Parliament Street, or Le Circ on Dame Street, or any number of other upmarket trendy bars. But, bottom line, for a choice of decent ales in Dublin it starts and ends with the Porterhouse and Bull & Castle.

I'm happy to be proved wrong.
    Kegged :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

Tried My first bottle of Clotworthy Dobbin Last night... man I wish this was available on Tap in the Munster region...anybody?

knightmare wrote: »
    Tried My first bottle of Clotworthy Dobbin Last night... man I wish this was available on Tap in the Munster region...anybody?
    I've never enjoyed it on tap -- either cask or keg -- as much as I enjoyed the bottled version (which isn't bottle conditioned Real Ale, before anyone asks). It's never as full-bodied on draught.

If it's going to be on tap anywhere in Munster it'll be The Bierhaus, Abbott's Ale House or Franciscan Well in Cork or Tara's in Ballina. But I've not heard of any of them getting it in.

Excise duty is a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Des wrote: »

good stuff alright but not naturally conditioned in keg or bottle

Have we now defined a criteria for Real Ale in Ireland? and are we now including 'Bottled Beers' in this Real Ale discussion? along with Smithwicks & Bass ? because if so, then we can safely say that every Pub in Ireland sells Real Ale :cool:

But thats certainly NOT what I am on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Ireland? and are we now including 'Bottled Beers' in this Real Ale discussion?

Its "real" in any container if its go a secondly fermentation to naturally carbonate the beer/cider etc, this is not just a CARMA it's also accepted by hr Brewing association in the US

• Advertisement

Rusty is available there (so I've heard)...

FBP.

Have we now defined a criteria for Real Ale in Ireland?
    We're sticking to CAMRA's. They invented the term, after all. In which case
    are we now including 'Bottled Beers' in this Real Ale discussion?
    Yes
    along with Smithwicks & Bass ?
    No. They are not cask or bottle conditioned and therefore are not Real Ale.
    But thats certainly NOT what I am on about.
    Every pub selling cask beer has been mentioned. It's basically Tara's, Tigh Bric and the Dublin Porterhouses. If that's all you need to know, I think you have your answer.

fatboypee wrote: »
    Nitrokegged. It's on cask in Tara's.

Nitrokegged. It's on cask in Tara's.

I know :D, glad that place is my local :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Excuse my ignorance, but is there any reason why a pub could not get in a cask of a well known ale such as London Pride and start selling it? I'd make a beeline for the place if available. I'm getting sick of Porterhouse TSB.

IronMan wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but is there any reason why a pub could not get in a cask of a well known ale such as London Pride and start selling it? I'd make a beeline for the place if available. I'm getting sick of Porterhouse TSB.

No reason at all. Assuming they know how to treat it, and the economics added up (i.e. shipping ot over etc.). A cask breather will keep it good for a couple of weeks after tapping.

Re Messers Maguire ...........
    fatboypee wrote: »

FBP.

But sadly not anymore :( I was there only the other night, but I did ask the Barman where I might get a Pint of the real thing & "He Said" the only place you will get Real Ale On Tap in Dublin is in the Porterhouse Nassau Street, or maybe Temple Bar?

If Bottled Ales are included, then several Pub's have them on the South Side!

IronMan wrote: »
    No reason at all.
    Yes: there's no reason they couldn't, but several dozen reasons they wouldn't. The economics of it would be really hard to justify to an accountant.

Your best bet, sadly, is to keep drinking the TSB (because if you don't, it'll go too), and pester the management of any other bar you're in to get a better selection in, even if it's not cask. Step one in the revolution is to break the power of Diageo and Heineken.
    If Bottled Ales are included, then several Pub's have them on the South Side!
    Bottle conditioned ales. Very few of the English bottled beers we get are bottle conditioned. It's much more common in Belgian ales.

Yes: there's no reason they couldn't, but several dozen reasons they wouldn't.

Precisely. If they won't even stick a couple of bottles of Pride on the shelf, which would take zero effort, and not much financial risk, then they're very unlikely to even consider keg, not to mind cask, Pride.

• Advertisement

Bottle conditioned ales. Very few of the English bottled beers we get are bottle conditioned.

And apparently some of the bigger breweries with "Bottle conditioned Ales" filter their beer anyway to help stabilise it, then re-pitch some yeast.

Why, if I was devious enough I could filter and carbonate my ale, and add a little yeast, so the sediment in the bottom of the bottle would keep the CAMRAites happy.

Advertisement