Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One bulb wonders

Options
  • 24-11-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

Travelled from Dublin to Galway last night and I must have met at least 40 people behind me and coming towards me with a bulb out! Pretty dangerous stuff especially when your overtaking. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Im always surprised at the amount of people driving with one headlight, i am not mechanically minded at all but can manage to buy and replace mine easily.

Amazed at how lazy people are sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I always replace them myself, about 3 mins work, and always the pair of them.

In the summer it's brighter and I understand why someone lazy would go "ah sure, I'll do it later" but now it's pitch black at night and it must really make it harder to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭AlanAhern

Its so dangerous because I always think its a bloody motorbike. IMO i believe it should be an on the spot fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Got 2 sidelights bulbs and fitting in Halford for about e7

so even if people are too lazy to do it themselve then they could at least spend e7 to get it done for them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AlanAhern wrote: »
    i believe it should be an on the spot fine.
    Me too, it's the most straight-forward solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A bit like checking the condition of your tyres. It is the typical Irish mentality of just getting in the car, turning the key and off you go.

It only takes something like 5 or 10 mins to check things like lights and tyres once a week or fortnight. Seems to be much for some folks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

what's worse are the drivers who put their on their lights on full-beam to compensate for only having one front light working :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

I have to change my rear lights at least once a month the feckers keep blowing along with front lights (3months) and the blinkers and there a pain in the arse to change!!!!

Stupid vw bora!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

what's worse are the drivers who put their on their lights on full-beam to compensate for only having one front light working :mad:

It can be a case of incorrect wiring also. Some people have their full mixed up with their dipped and are to ignorant to know the difference. You flash them and as far as their dash is concerned everything is ok.

Some people have their indicator wired as a dipped beam also. Very annoying.

My neighbour is missing one of his dipped bulbs. I mentioned this to him and they are special order from Honda because his car is a jap import. What a pain in the hole. He rings them every day and they keep telling him they take 3-4weeks to order.

:confused::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

AlanAhern wrote: »
    IMO i believe it should be an on the spot fine.

Disembowelment by the roadside ftw:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

peasant wrote: »
    Disembowelment by the roadside ftw:D

no no thats way too harsh!

They should just be strapped into a car while another car hits them at like 40 - 60 kmph head on. They will learn their lesson..... i assume:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dealers charge about a 10 euro to change a new megane bulb i think the official way is go in through the wheelarch new focus i think you need to remove the headlamp unit. although most of the cars that you see arent these so its just people being lazy i've actually changed bulbs at the side of the road when i've realised theyve gone only a 2 min job on my car thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Changed the girlfriends last night. New Micra. Have to say though it was the biggest pain in the arse. Very little hand space in that engine bay and the connector was almost welded to the back of the bulb.

And as for those metal retention clips. is this a pure eastern design . Had them on my old mazda and i dispised them. But they are far worse on the micra due to the space. You may aswell be blind as to see what your doing.

listermint wrote: »
    Changed the girlfriends last night.

And if you were not in her life, who would change them?

Nobody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

What winds me up the most is the one headlight out and one fog out on the opposite side. Its the height of laziness and ignorance. I sure hope that they put a bit more effort into other important parts. Can imagine one of these idiots sliding across the road on bald tyres and wiping someone out:mad:

EPM wrote: »
    What winds me up the most is the one headlight out and one fog out on the opposite side. Its the height of laziness and ignorance. I sure hope that they put a bit more effort into other important parts. Can imagine one of these idiots sliding across the road on bald tyres and wiping someone out:mad:

There should be a law saying you must carry a spare bulb kit and the spare bulb kit must be fully stocked.

Otherwise you get a fine if you are missing a bulb. The reason that just simply fining a driver for not having a working bulb would be that if they were doing a checkpoint and as you came around the corner your bulb went and you werent aware instantly then it would be unfair to fine you.

So, carry a spare bulb kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I must have met at least 40 people behind me and coming towards me with a bulb out!

And I haven't noticed this on this scale in any other country I've driven. Is that just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Though I loathe supporting the French in any way, I think their approach, having to have fuses, bulbs, high vis etc in the car at all times is a good idea and should be brought in here.

But even if it was I doubt it would be enforced either, most traffic laws seem not to be. I was stopped at a checkpoint on Saturday night for a breath test, all fine, coming back the same way 5 minutes later stopped again. Guard asks the usual have you done it before... I say bout 5 mins ago coming the other way, she says 'ah grand off you go so'. Must remember that one next time I've a few pints on me:D

/I don't drink and drive before ppl r*pe me for that comment/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

one of the xenon bulbs popped on the Alfa a while back, took five fecking weeks for a spare to arrive :mad:

plus actually changing it, feck sake, you'd need a childs hands to get at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I was up the north yesterday and driving back in some horrible showers the amount of cars missing bulbs scary.

Im not saying im the best on a recent trip up to cavan one of the headlights went on a friday evening at 9pm. So places where closed the stopped in 2 garages they didn't have bulbs. So kept going and the next day i replaced them in halfords. I had a sidelight and headlights so i didn't look like a bike. But im sure ill get my teeth kicked because i told the truth!

It does happen where bulbs do suddenly go on you.
    I would agree the carrying spare bulbs at all times is a good idea. Halfords actually do an all round kit.
    The only thing i have noticed is that newer cars are getting harder and harder to change the bulbs. you nearly need to employ one of those child labourers you hear so much about! :D

Just messing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

unkel wrote: »
    And I haven't noticed this on this scale in any other country I've driven. Is that just me?
    Nope. That was one of the things that first struck me when I moved here from "the continent" (amongst many, many others, of course.)

I nearly had a hypocritical moment earlier.

After finishing with boards.ie and work I went to the car and started the engine and switched on my lights. My passenger side dipped bulb is gone. My Osram nightbreaker, no problem I have two spares in the boot. Neither of them worked. I have around 6 H7 standard halogens so I had to use one of them. Now my car has one white light and one yellowish light.

BUT, I nearly considered driving with one bulb because I was late to collect herself. I said to hell with it and changed the damn bulb because I would only be as bad as the rest. "Do it tomorrow attitude".

Incidentally the bulbs are one month old so Im bringing them back to Autozone Limerick for a warranty replacement.

Just goes to show, you can load up your boot with a spare bulb kit but in the end they dont bloody work. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

siralfalot wrote: »
    one of the xenon bulbs popped on the Alfa a while back, took five fecking weeks for a spare to arrive :mad:

plus actually changing it, feck sake, you'd need a childs hands to get at it

Did you buy a spare or will you just wait 5 weeks next time aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

To the people saying how hard it is to change their bulbs - have you tried removing the headlight units completely? I know things can vary greatly, but in my Fiesta (Mk. 4) all you need to do is pull out the grille, unplug the lights and take out three screws (Torx T30 screws but you could use a flathead too). I can see what I'm doing and don't have to jam my hands in anywhere. I was also able to see the amount of rust underneath the right headlights :(

I know such things aren't possible in some newer cars though.

I know such things aren't possible in some newer cars though.

In my 06 Audi A4 you must remove a shed load of parts before getting at the headlight unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

And if by chance all lights are working, what's the odds on one of the headlights being out of focus and pointing straight into your face:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

Changing a Renault Modus headlight requires the removal of all the front trim. A dealer quoted my oh 160 euro to change one bulb.

The Megane requires gynaelogical feats though a small opening in the wheelwell.

These are the last Renaults in our house for this among many reasons, but I'm sure it's not uncommon nowadays among many makes.

Then you wonder why there are so many one -eyed nightjacks around.

This is a criminal ripoff by manufacturers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i think the best i seen, was driving down the M1 about a month ago at 10pm, now some of you will know that part of that road is unlit.

well i came across, a black northern reg car with no lights on, so i was flashing him, nothing happened. overtook him and guess what his lights were on, he one bulb in the front of the car.

if i hadnt been driving by myself, i would phone the traffic police, it is so dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cml387 wrote: »
    Changing a Renault Modus headlight requires the removal of all the front trim. A dealer quoted my oh 160 euro to change one bulb.

The Megane requires gynaelogical feats though a small opening in the wheelwell.

These are the last Renaults in our house for this among many reasons, but I'm sure it's not uncommon nowadays among many makes.

Then you wonder why there are so many one -eyed nightjacks around.

This is a criminal ripoff by manufacturers.

They can be done quite easily actually without going near the wheel arch or bumper offmethod they say it has to be done by. Same on the focus.

• Advertisement

i think the best i seen, was driving down the M1 about a month ago at 10pm, now some of you will know that part of that road is unlit.

well i came across, a black northern reg car with no lights on, so i was flashing him, nothing happened. overtook him and guess what his lights were on, he one bulb in the front of the car.

if i hadnt been driving by myself, i would phone the traffic police, it is so dangerous

Saw similar thing yesterday. A woman was driving past me on a busy flyover at 7pm(dark) with no lights on. I could not flash because I would be upsetting many many other drivers. I looked in my rear view mirror. Her lights were on. She just happened to have no working lights on the front, only on the back.

Madness so by looking at the dash everything is fine and the fact she probably never leaves a lit up area she probably has no idea she has no forward projecting beams.

Advertisement