Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One bulb wonders

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Travelled from Dublin to Galway last night and I must have met at least 40 people behind me and coming towards me with a bulb out! Pretty dangerous stuff especially when your overtaking. :eek:

Well, the gardai don't help matters. I have seen a garda car where I live for the last few weeks with one light out, so how could they enforce it , when they don't care about their own cars.

Once, when living and working in england, I had one headlight out and I got stopped by police and had to have it changed within 7 days and show a receipt from a garage to state a new one had been fitted. The bulb cost £4, garage charged £10.
    Yes, the garage, took the p*ss but it made me think about the next time, to keep the car maintained.
    Gardai don't give a Sh*t about it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Well, the gardai don't help matters. I have seen a garda car where I live for the last few weeks with one light out, so how could they enforce it , when they don't care about their own cars.

Gardai don't give a Sh*t about it.....

A garda on this site mentioned that the Gardai have to request the desk sergeant to apply for a purchase order before they can simply go to the motor factors and get a replacement.

He also mentioned that Gardai tend to replace them out of the own pocket some of the time.

I was once going to offer a Garda a spare bulb from my car but fearing he would think I was "being smart" I drove on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A garda on this site mentioned that the Gardai have to request the desk sergeant to apply for a purchase order before they can simply go to the motor factors and get a replacement.

They could however have a replacement bulb on board at all times and then request a replacement for the replacement if needs be. :D

The short of the story is ...they are not leading by example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

siralfalot wrote: »
    one of the xenon bulbs popped on the Alfa a while back, took five fecking weeks for a spare to arrive :mad:

plus actually changing it, feck sake, you'd need a childs hands to get at it

From a main dealer I presume. Place I work for stocks Phillips bulbs and we have all the xenon's in stock. Have done for nearly 2 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

And if by chance all lights are working, what's the odds on one of the headlights being out of focus and pointing straight into your face:D

Hate this, but not to bad when the are heading towards you, at least they are gone shortly, it's when they are behind you and the light is right in your mirrors... B****rds..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

peasant wrote: »
    They could however have a replacement bulb on board at all times and then request a replacement for the replacement if needs be. :D

The short of the story is ...they are not leading by example

I suggested that to on site Garda whom said that it would be a mammoth cost to fit out every car with a spare bulb kit. Considering the amount of different types and the cost involved and the upkeep of that stock.

I agree the Gardai do not lead by example. They should not be driving around all day with their halogens on because that also increases their carbon deficit. Silly billies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Stekelly wrote: »
    Did you buy a spare or will you just wait 5 weeks next time aswell?

aaaagh sure I'll wait, I like driving around the countryside with only half the illumination I should have, doing a great motorbike impression :P :D

seriously, who doesn't buy bulbs in pairs? :rolleyes:

I've no problem with it being made law to carry spare bulbs like it is in France, but seriously, some of the new cars today really take the piss when it comes to changing a bulb

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

In my 06 Audi A4 you must remove a shed load of parts before getting at the headlight unit.

I had the previous model A4 2002. Also it was necessary to remove a shed load of parts to get at the back of the headlight and change the bulb.
    But it was a 2 minute job and a lot easier 2 just remove the 4 screws that hold in the headlight, Slide it out a few inches and all the room you need is now available. Put back in the 4 screws. Job Done. 2 Minutes.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Once, when living and working in england, I had one headlight out and I got stopped by police and had to have it changed within 7 days and show a receipt from a garage to state a new one had been fitted. The bulb cost £4, garage charged £10.
    A German girl I know who lived here and returned back to Germany with her Irish car (yes, I know!) was stopped literally the day after arriving home because one of her rear lights was much brighter than the other. She had been driving around like that ever since she had bought the car here, over 5 years, and had never changed a bulb since she bought it. A previous owner had probably put a fog or brake light bulb in place of a blown sidelight at some stage before she bought it. To make matters worse, she had to put the car through the German TuV (NCT equivalent) and it failed so miserably she had to scrap it (this was before the NCT came in here btw).

Advertisement