Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[PR] Cork - Cobh Line reopens

• 24-11-2008 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=437
    Cork - Cobh Line reopens: normal service resumed by Corporate Communications

Cork-Cobh line customers are advised that the line has now reopened, and full services have resumed, following improvement works that have taken place over recent weeks.

Iarnród Éireann welcomes customers back to the service, and apologises for the inconvenience caused by these essential works.

The works included:
    - the upgrading of 11 platforms at 6 stations along the route.
    - Laying of cable ducting for signalling, electrical and telecoms.
    - The constuction of abutment for the new overbridge at Woodhill, including a retaining wall at the approach of the new bridge.
    - Coastal defence work and landslip protection works at key sites along the route.
    - the installation of a water main for Cork County Council.
    - Signalling adjustments to facilitate the re-opening of the Cork-Midleton railway line.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

They did a class job of upgrading the line too. Very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

apparently the work also included disconnection of the western approach to the freight yard from the mainline (the eastern one was already done). That doesn't look well on a PR fluff though. I wonder if the gantry has been put on ebay... errr... etenders yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Surely there's a market for rail freight between the big cities? What's the problem with it?
    Aren't there rail cars that can hold 40foot containers? Is there a perceived frequency of strikes within CIÉ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I wish they'd upgraded the footbridges for wheelchair users and buggies/prams and so on. They gave the existing ones a quick lick of non slip paint and that's all as far as I can see. And still no ticket machines in the unmanned stations.
    Other than that I'm delighted to have the trains back.
    Times like this really show the value of a train versus busses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Surely there's a market for rail freight between the big cities? What's the problem with it?
    Aren't there rail cars that can hold 40foot containers? Is there a perceived frequency of strikes within CIÉ?

Trucker union is very powerful.

We are a small country.

Freight has to get from depots to final destination (using trucks)

CIE.

I'm sure there are many others. I'm not against rail freight but I don't see it happening here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

They didnt mention that they almost destroyed the main route into Cork from the east by collapsing the road into the river :D

Chris, in fairness, wasn't that the guys building the new bridge and not IE if I recall correctly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

That bridge is a bridge across the railway as far as I know, so its under IEs control ;)

Fair enough, I was under the impression it was a Lee crossing.

Advertisement