Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paint match help. Urgent

Options
  • 24-11-2008 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Alright I'm basically gettin a few little bits of paint tidyed up on my car so that its 100% for whoever buys it. The problem is that I have no idea what paint is on it. The car came in from Japan sprayed so very hard to trace back also. So has anyone any ideas? Its a sort of army green with a gold to it in the sun. Heres pics:
    SNV30728.jpg
    DSCF1098.jpg

The car is now in primer and ready to go. So where in the country could I send the petrol cap or something like that, that would be able to match it as close to 100% as possible? any help is greatly appreciated as I'm really seem to be running into dead ends at the moment.:confused: It may be a house of colour paint also but dont really know?

also I'm located in Galway so as close to there as possible would be best but am willing to travel at this stage to get it done right (or just send off cap and get sent back matched paint to give to sprayer).

Cheers,
    Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should be a paint code on the VIN plate.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Trixta

mike65 wrote: »
    Should be a paint code on the VIN plate.

Mike

Its a custom paint (or at least certainly not the origional) hence the problem:(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I doubt you will get a proper match on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Trixta wrote: »
    Its a custom paint (or at least certainly not the origional) hence the problem:(

You've answered your own questions, someone can try and match it up but the paintjob won't have a code as its multiple layers blended together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 HiTecRedneck

There's no way tats an original Toyota colour - it's one of those 'Candy' type shades. Some b*tch of a job to try and match that! Try a motorfactors that deal wit 'House of Kolor' shades, that might help.

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »
    You've answered your own questions, someone can try and match it up but the paintjob won't have a code as its multiple layers blended together.
    There's no way tats an original Toyota colour - it's one of those 'Candy' type shades. Some b*tch of a job to try and match that! Try a motorfactors that deal wit 'House of Kolor' shades, that might help.

I know thats the point of this thread. I'm trying to find some place that is good at matching colours or deals in these kind of paints, so I can send it to them. I know it wont be 100% but hopefully as close as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Not a Candy that's for sure, gold metal flakes over black base or gold flip paint looks like. From the first immpression I got it looks like Auto Air Cosmic Gold, but hard to say from the picture and it could be something tottaly different.

There's almost no hope to get HOK paints in here instantly. You'd have to wait for a couple of months to get it shipped over if you will rely on the official Irish 'distributor'.
    Still you might get lucky and find the right shade from HOK Chip book. And then get it off the web.

Try to check engine bay for some paint code, it could be on the sticker somewhere.

There's a chap called Noel up in Galway, he's into custom bikes and does nice paintjobs as well, that might be the best bet.
    Try www.flame-art.com /I think/ and tell him Mad Clown gave you his details, he'll charge you triple the usual price :P

FiSe wrote: »
    Not a Candy that's for sure, gold metal flakes over black base or gold flip paint looks like. From the first immpression I got it looks like Auto Air Cosmic Gold, but hard to say from the picture and it could be something tottaly different.

There's almost no hope to get HOK paints in here instantly. You'd have to wait for a couple of months to get it shipped over if you will rely on the official Irish 'distributor'.
    Still you might get lucky and find the right shade from HOK Chip book. And then get it off the web.

Try to check engine bay for some paint code, it could be on the sticker somewhere.

There's a chap called Noel up in Galway, he's into custom bikes and does nice paintjobs as well, that might be the best bet.
    Try www.flame-art.com /I think/ and tell him Mad Clown gave you his details, he'll charge you triple the usual price :P

Seems like you know what your on about so thanks alot. I dont really know alot about paint/spraying etc. The engine bay isnt going to help alot as it looks like this lol:D:
    DSCF3931.jpg

I have to say the gold isnt really as visible normally as it is in the 2nd pic. That was taken by the previos owner and it must just be the sun or something. Normally it just appears to be an army green sort of colour like in these pics:
    P1030547.jpg
    SNV30492.jpg

The area that needs to be sprayed is the top of the drivers door. There was an attempted robbery on it a while back (kill switch etc though so couldnt start it) but they bent back the door. It has been fixed and its from the lock/door handle of the window up to the top. So its not a huge amount that would be very noticeable if not 100%. But I am particular enough so would like it done right.

Also in relation to that guy in Galway. Theres no phone number for him on that site? Only an email address?

Should be 3 pics there in the above post. Dont know if they're all visible though as I'm having a few pc gremlins here?

***Edit: Pics fixed now***

Bump!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

Excuse the ignorance if this is a crap suggestion but I work in the motor industry & we use these guys for scratches etc.

http://www.autosmartsystems.ie/faqs.htm

Something about a computerised colour matching system mentioned on their website. Not sure if they'd be able to do much since yours is a custom color but might be worth giving them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

A bit sketchy on the details but I got a fella from the bodyshop beside Windsor motors in Ballybrit recommended to me for paint before, might be worth a look. No contact details for him unf. Don't even know if he's still there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Trixta wrote: »
    Also in relation to that guy in Galway. Theres no phone number for him on that site? Only an email address?

Drop him an email so, he's a nice fella, so don't be affraid :o Thought that I have his number here, but can't find it at the moment...

You should know as well, that those flip paints are bitch to thouch up as the level of pigmentation should be the same as in the original paint, but it can be done

Advertisement