Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gomes - why do people think he'll come good?

Options
  • 24-11-2008 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Ok I know he won 4 titles with PSV but doesn't that mean that they were winning lots of games and that he wouldn't have been that busy and certainly not as busy as he is now ?;)

For me he's made as many mistakes in 4 months as Robinson made in 18 months. Robbo got the door as a result. Why shouldn't this guy be treated the same way?

Can we really afford to keep in the team until his confidence and or form improves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭camel toe

yiddo wrote: »
    Ok I know he won 4 titles with PSV but doesn't that mean that they were winning lots of games and that he wouldn't have been that busy and certainly not as busy as he is now ?;)

For me he's made as many mistakes in 4 months as Robinson made in 18 months. Robbo got the door as a result. Why shouldn't this guy be treated the same way?

Can we really afford to keep in the team until his confidence and or form improves?

i know he said himself that the reasons for his erros have been he has had more to do, but the true test of a keeper is doing nothing for many parts of the game, and then in the 85th minute doing something when called upon. shay given at international level is a brilliant example of this.

all keepers in epl have way above average shot stopping, gomes is prob one of the best but he's not a 9 million pound goalkeeper, or anything close to it.

its the same with that guy foster, overrated because of a season he had at watford, any keeper facing the amount of shots he faced would have looked ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

He's not an 'arry signing. Imo 'arry just wants to stabilise the mood at whl until some consistency returns and not upsetting the team too much until he addresses the goalkeeping problem in jan.
    I think Gomes is not an awful lot short of a good keeper. His decisions at times are terrible, but any kind of good communication between the back four and himself would clear up a lot of his mistakes.
    As for that grobbelar he threw last week, i'm still scratching my head:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

camel toe wrote: »
    i know he said himself that the reasons for his erros have been he has had more to do, but the true test of a keeper is doing nothing for many parts of the game, and then in the 85th minute doing something when called upon. shay given at international level is a brilliant example of this.
    all keepers in epl have way above average shot stopping, gomes is prob one of the best but he's not a 9 million pound goalkeeper, or anything close to it.

its the same with that guy foster, overrated because of a season he had at watford, any keeper facing the amount of shots he faced would have looked ok.

Had to chuckle at that one....Given doing nothing until 85th minute??
    Feck me, didn't realise Ireland were that good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

yiddo wrote: »

Agreed he has made several mistakes, but does he not warrant the chance to prove himself and make amends for the mistakes. Yes he has cost us points this season, Im not denying that, but what sort of a club are we if we sign him in the summer for 10m, and then decide 4/5 months later that he's crap and sell him for maybe 5m.

Id personally stick with him until at least Jan/Feb, and see if the new gk coach can help him turn it around. If its early Feb and he's dropping balls left right and centre, well then Id excpect Harry to do something.

The games will come thick and fast over the next 2 months, so he has the perfect chance to change it around, me for one hopes he does.

And I would'nt be mad about going spending mega money on another keeper. We have an experienced keeper on the bench and the young lad Alnwick if things go pear shaped and we need to try something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

BOLT wrote: »
    Had to chuckle at that one....Given doing nothing until 85th minute??
    Feck me, didn't realise Ireland were that good :)

TBF in some games over the last 8 years or so that has actually happened where he's had nothing come at him then they get a break out of nowhere, God I miss them games.

I still think we should launch an attack on signing him or the lad Green

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Comolli signed gomes based on the 2 games we played psv last season, he broke our hearts in those 2 games with super saves. We all know he's making mistakes at present. But i have to admit i like him. He's not afraid to come for crosses even if he shouldn't and as much as people are harping on about his mistake v fulham , he won us the game against liverpool with that save from gerrard on to the bar when we were 1 down. Hope harry sticks with him. He reminds me of when david james started with liverpool all those years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

the main problem with the situation, apart from his f*ck ups, is the coverage the media are giving it. He droped a cross yesterday for their first corner and thats been shown as a highlight on ssn. any slight error he does is getting extra scrutany at the moment.
    Personally speaking i reckon that he's had a clean sheet, another one against everton next week and maybe a couple of good performances and the focus will be off of him by the media. It doesnt help that some thicks a the lane we're sacarsticlly cheering him (proberbly the same idiots who were signing robinsons name).
    Gomes is a great shot stopper and has the potential to dominate his area in a similiar fashion to grobalaar did for liverpool in the 80's. HIS CURRENT FORM CANT GET ANY WORSE SO HE NEEDS TO BE GIVEN TIME TO GET SOME CONFIDENCE BACK IMHO. ALTHOUGH IF HE CONTINUES TO SCREW UP SO DRAMATICALLY GET GIVEN IN IN JAN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

i have read somewhere that the psv coach was saying he was similar when he first came there and needed time. for me i have seen enough of dodgey keepers in a spurs jersey. he reminds me a lot of robbo making saves he really shouldnt save and making silly mistakes.

i think a replacement will be top of the jan list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

No choice but to play him at the moment.Ceaser doesnt inspire me to much and Alnwick is still a bit young, if he is still making a mess of things come Xmas they will just have to get someone in the window..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

the main problem with the situation, apart from his f*ck ups, is the coverage the media are giving it.

Exactly, the scum media are hovering around Gomes waiting for another mistake to laugh at, how about they apply the exact same standards to the other keeps in the league? Robbo made quite a few erroneous decisions yesterday, if anyone was being objective they'd have questioned his reluctance to come off his line at times.
    ziedth wrote: »
    I still think we should launch an attack on signing him [Given] or the lad Green

Would they be the 2 keepers who have conceded more goals than Gomes?

Maybe we should be in for Everton's Tim Howard, Man City's Joe Hart or Robinson, all of whom have conceded more goals than Gomes?

Perhaps we should be in for David James, who has conceded 20 just like Gomes?

From what I've seen of Gomes, he has all of the physical attributes needed to be a success, he has a good four years behind him (including one where in the opinion of one Guus Hiddink he single-handedly got PSV to a CL semi-final) in Holland. His confidence is shattered, partly by joining us when we were about to disintegrate under Ramos, partly by the injury he picked up on international duty, and partly by the effect of his collision with Corluka. I am willing to give him time with Harry and Tony Parks (who is supposed to have said he thinks he can work with him to improve his confidence and decision making) to see if they can turn his season around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Would they be the 2 keepers who have conceded more goals than Gomes?

Maybe we should be in for Everton's Tim Howard, Man City's Joe Hart or Robinson, all of whom have conceded more goals than Gomes?

Perhaps we should be in for David James, who has conceded 20 just like Gomes?

So by that Reasoning mate if we sign the Fulham back 4 we'll concede half as many goals as we have done?

What I was trying to put accross was that maybe an established Keeper such as given or from is IMO a prospect such as green might serve us better then someone who has cost us the best part of 6 Goals this season from mistakes.

I'd like to point out that I do hope that Gomes turns out to be an top class keeper and proves everyone wrong.

ziedth wrote: »
    So by that Reasoning mate if we sign the Fulham back 4 we'll concede half as many goals as we have done?

I'm not aware anyone had suggested replacing out back 4 with Fulham's, whereas you are suggesting we replace Gomes with Given or Green. That being the case, is it unreasonable to compare their records?

I highlighted the others to give perspective, particularly Hart, Howard and James.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Correct me here but from my memory his only howlers that cost us goals have been against Villa and Fulham.

Okay he's droped a few crosses but he's also made some great saves. One things for sure he's no where near as rubbish as the tidal wave of dogey keeper anti spurs press are saying.

It's just a confidence thing for him. I hope he turns it around because I actually like the fella and I would like to see Spurs sticking by him for a while longer.

(Oh zhit, I just rememberd a back-pass howler away in Italy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Correct me here but from my memory his only howlers that cost us goals have been against Villa and Fulham.

Okay he's dropped a few crosses but he's also made some great saves. One things for sure he's no where near as rubbish as the tidal wave of doggy keeper anti spurs press are saying.

It's just a confidence thing for him. I hope he turns it around because I actually like the fella and I would like to see Spurs sticking by him for a while longer.

(Oh zhit, I just rememberd a back-pass howler away in Italy)

Thats 3 mistakes (and costly goals to many) for any team! However it is down to Parks to asses if he has what it takes to be successful in the EPL - He has till Jan 1st and if he makes anymore between now and then, he could be putting the nails in he's own coffin I am afraid.

I think one of the dilemmas for Harry and the board is, 9m is a lot for a goalkeeper, and if he is replaced in Jan, he's value will go down to nothing! (maybe 3?) That is a big loss for the club in half a season. Add to that Harry has been told finances are tight, and do the best with what you have! Plus I am sure the last player Harry thought he would need to replace was the goaly, I am sure he has the money ear marked for other positions.

I think they will try really hard, and give him as much of the benefit of the doubt as they possibly can (hopefully without risking more points losses).

I like him, and I think he might come good - but I also said that about Robbo, so...........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 fairhillspur

if we stick by him he will come good everyone else gets time to settle why shouldnt the keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

like any player, he needs to get used to the pace and bustle of the league. i think once he does, he will be a great signing.
    he is already starting to look better and he is already starting to command his box like a good keeper does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I honestly think he's turned the corner.
    4 rock solid back to back performances now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Positive words from Tony P.

Tony Parks is confident Heurelho Gomes will be a big hit at Spurs.

Our new goalkeeping coach and a Lane legend after his UEFA Cup heroics in 1984, Tony said he could tell 'within minutes' that the keeper had all the ingredients required to succeed in the Premier League.

Gomes had been in the spotlight after a couple of high-profile mistakes but appears on the road to recovery after clean sheets against Blackburn and NEC, a Man of the Match performance against Everton and another faultless display at Watford in Wednesday's Carling Cup win.

"I knew of him before he came to Spurs through his time at PSV and from the first minute I worked with him in training, I knew this was a top goalkeeper who was perhaps just struggling a little with confidence," said Tony.

"You look at his agility and his ability to make saves and I have to do no work with that whatsoever. That's all in the bag already.

"I'm sure he's got everything he needs to succeed in the Premier League and he doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. He just has to go out and play the game he has in his locker.

"He's come into a more physical league and I think he's tried to prove himself by trying to deal with every cross that comes in and that's one of the things we've spoken about, slowing his mind down and making the right decisions and that sometimes the right decision isn't to try and come for everything.

"His ability is unquestionable and he's an absolute gentleman who wants to work hard, wants to improve and wants to impress. He just wants to be number one."

Meanwhile Tony, a professional at the Lane between 1980-88, said he couldn't wait to return to the club and work under Harry Redknapp after passing all his coaching qualifications and spending seven years at the FA as their Assistant National Goalkeeping Coach.

He added: "It's not every day that a manager of the quality of Harry Redknapp asks you to come and work with him and the icing on the cake is that it's here at Tottenham. I just wanted to get in and get on with the job as soon as I could."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

he is a very good shot stopper but i think he is very prone to errors and once a keeper makes a mistake it almost always leads to a goal.

id prefer a more reliable keeper to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Another game that gomes won for us , to all the doubters - ye of little faith, luv the bloke , he's going to be a top keeper for us imo.

• Advertisement

'Arry had good words for the big lug after yesterday's game:
    As for Gomes, Harry added: "It was a great save at the end, that's what he's there to do and that's what he did. His confidence couldn't have been any lower a few weeks ago. He's improved. Tony Parks (goalkeeping coach) has been a big influence, he's a bubbly character and he's got into him and given him a lot of confidence."

Keep up the good work Parksy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 fairhillspur

someone on here told me that tony parks is better than goin to lourdes for keepers :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

someone on here told me that tony parks is better than goin to lourdes for keepers :):):)

I'm glad that someone is listening to me :D;)

Advertisement