Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cotoure v Lidell IV

Options
  • 24-11-2008 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

The rematch that no one asked for could be on the cards for 2009.

First UFC in Germany, Randy speaks german, and UFC are thinking it would be a better PPV number than Liddell v Silva, fllowing disappointing numbers from Cote v Silva

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Yeah I heard Dave Meltzer mention that last week. It makes sense I guess. I'd definitely head over to Germany see that if it ended up there.

Although you would presume they could make much more money if it was a US based PPV.

I really don't want to see this. Both are way past their best IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Yeah this is a Lose-Lose situation in my view. More to be lost than gained. A defeat here for either one reflects bad on great careers.
    I'd rather see Couture v Silva at 205.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Couture speaks german?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I think I read somewhere that he is a qualified German teacher

• Advertisement

He served for the US Army in Germany for a few years, its likely true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Yeah this is a Lose-Lose situation in my view. .

It's win-win for UFC. It's a really logical, smart business move (with the winner probably fighting the winner of Mesnar/Mir/Nogueira) that will make money for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

It's win-win for UFC. It's a really logical, smart business move (with the winner probably fighting the winner of Mesnar/Mir/Nogueira) that will make money for all concerned.

If this fight happens, it'll probably happen at LHW, not HW, so unlikley that the winner would fight any of the above

EDIT: Possibly Liddell has moved up and I didn't hear, so I'm open to correction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Its all rumours, but probably happen at HW, hard for a guy Randys age to cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Not a fight i particularly want to see to be honest. They have fought 3 times and both have a limited number of fights left. I would rather see them fight other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

They are set to fight a UFC 99 in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=312325

UFC fighters get the boot for not sticking their faces in the new 360/PS3 game.

Cote V Silvia had **** viewings coz Cote is useless. Another fighter that shouldn't have gotten a title shot. And to make the fight worse Silvia decided he would just run around the ring shaping.

I'm telling ya WWE fighter will be all over the UFC in the next 18months. And probably kimbo too. **** it just get the king of the travellers in it too. lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

ROC1977 wrote: »
    I'm telling ya WWE fighter will be all over the UFC in the next 18months. And probably kimbo too. **** it just get the king of the travellers in it too. lol

LOL do you post on Sherdog or are doing a parody of one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Cote V Silvia had **** viewings coz Cote is useless.

You do realise that the buyrate was in line with every other Anderson Silva PPV? Do you blame his opponents for all of that?

Fozzy wrote: »
    You do realise that the buyrate was in line with every other Anderson Silva PPV? Do you blame his opponents for all of that?

No I'm not blaming him, I blame Dana white. Bad match making. White matches him up with punch bags. Silva finishes most of his fights quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised if Dana white told Silva to make the fight last.Which would explain why in the first 3 rounds Silva barely through a punch.

White matches him up with punch bags.

Who would you suggest that they match him up with?

rovert wrote: »
    LOL do you post on Sherdog or are doing a parody of one?

I don't both with Sherdog. Firewalled at work! lol

Come on lads you have to realize that the RandyV Brock fight was just a money spinner. Brock Lesnar has no business in the UFC, not unless they match him up with some at least near his own weight. Superheavy weight.

I don't both with Sherdog. Firewalled at work! lol

Come on lads you have to realize that the RandyV Brock fight was just a money spinner.

How dare a MMA company make money! :mad:

Brock Lesnar has no business in the UFC, not unless they match him up with some at least near his own weight. Superheavy weight.

Brock Lesnar is a 2 time NCAA Champion if you actually think this that you are fool.

He is fighting in the weight class meant for his size, I dont see the problem. It was Randy's choice to step up to the heavyweight division.

Fozzy wrote: »
    Who would you suggest that they match him up with?

Robbie Lawler, Mike Bisping, Dan Henderson off the top of my head. Now I'm not saying any of them will beat Silva. But at least they would be decent fights.

Robbie Lawler, Mike Bisping, Dan Henderson off the top of my head. Now I'm not saying any of them will beat Silva. But at least they would be decent fights.

One minute you want rankings and the next you are looking for entertaining fights. :confused:

• Advertisement

Come on lads you have to realize that the RandyV Brock fight was just a money spinner.

Yes, because it was a fight that many, many people wanted to see
    Brock Lesnar has no business in the UFC

He beat the heavyweight champion... If that's the case then Couture and Herring have no business in the UFC having lost to him. And what about Mir, he came close to losing too
    not unless they match him up with some at least near his own weight. Superheavy weight.

Do you feel the same way about all the other fighters who cut weight to make it into a weight class?

One minute you want rankings and the next you are looking for entertaining fights. :confused:

Look, Henderson Ex Pride champion., Bisping lost only 1 fight, Lawler also a top fighter. If there was a ranking system they would be way up the ranking.

Look, Henderson Ex Pride champion., Bisping lost only 1 fight, Lawler also a top fighter. If there was a ranking system they would be way up the ranking.

Look! there is still a contradict there.

The only people who wanted to see Lesnar fight in the UFC are WWE fans.

I've no problem with people cutting weight. Its more the point that heavy weight dev is too wide.

Plus I'm being miss quoted. I didn't say Lesnar has no place in the UFC. I said at heavyweight. If guys the size of him are allowed to fight guys 4 stone lighter than odds are the big guy will win, even more so when its a grappler v grappler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Silva already beat Henderson, Lawler hasn't signed with the UFC yet and Bispings recent record is far less impressive than Cote's.

Cote was the logical opponent.

Look! there is still a contradict there.

Sort your grammar out. The word your looking for is contradiction. Please explain why that post is a contradiction?

The only people who wanted to see Lesnar fight in the UFC are WWE fans.

Then why did so many UFC fans pay to watch him fight?
    I've no problem with people cutting weight. Its more the point that heavy weight dev is too wide.

Plus I'm being miss quoted. I didn't say Lesnar has no place in the UFC. I said at heavyweight. If guys the size of him are allowed to fight guys 4 stone lighter than odds are the big guy will win, even more so when its a grappler v grappler.

Lighter guys have beaten heavier guys at heavyweight plenty of times. Don't blame Brock for being within the weight limit, blame Couture for fighting at the same weight as a lightheavyweight guy

Are you mad about all the other big heavyweights? Should Tim Sylvia be kicked out of the heavyweight division?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Clive wrote: »
    Silva already beat Henderson, Lawler hasn't signed with the UFC yet and Bispings recent record is far less impressive than Cote's.

Cote was the logical opponent.
    Lawler hardly set the world on fire in his last UFC contract, so I can't see them chasing him again.

The only people who wanted to see Lesnar fight in the UFC are WWE fans

I completely and utterly disagree. Look at the traffic on the aforementioned Sherdog board for UFC 91. All the hardcores were watch that fight and that event. UFC was in many industry estimates the most watch MMA event in bars in the States. It's and his appeal transcended into the general public. Most PRIDE fans in Japan were Wrestling fans too current and former. Your point?

I hate speaking in generalisations but most UFC fans are or were WWE fans going back years. When Wrestlers are shown in the crowd they get cheered by the crowd far louder than A list celebrities.

You have mentioned him in the same light as Kimbo.

Again the fighters agree to fight at that division.
    Sort your grammar out. The word your looking for is contradiction. Please explain why that post is a contradiction?

You are right, to see the contradiction see post #21. You want pure rankings but still wish to flex them.

• Advertisement

I never said it was Brock or Randys fault. Dana White's fault. Yes lots of people wanted to see the fight. Why??? To see Randy win.

The same way I stayed up to watch it as usual. I hate WWE. And thats just my opinion. I'm not here to get into heated debates, just to make my point. Which none of you seem to grasp.

All I'm saying the weight devision need to be re thought, and a ranking system needs to be implemented. Sport isn't sport if it isn't fair.

Both fighters agreed to fight alright, I'd fight Lesnar myself for 200k. And I'm half his weight.
    Any passed the day at work anyway. You you lads again tomorrow!! lol

Advertisement