Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cotoure v Lidell IV

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Nonsense. So the majority of the buyers and watchers of UFC 91 did so for the purpose of seeing Lesnar lose? Incredible assertion that. Myself, and I am a wrestling fan, the lustre of this fight was to see a fight between a very green fighter fight one of the most experienced and decorated guys in the company. Now is that my opinion as a wrestling fan or an MMA fan?
    All I'm saying the weight devision need to be re thought, and a ranking system needs to be implemented

As rovert pointed out already, you say in one breath that people should deserve title shots, and with the next entertaining fights should be at the fore? Which is it to be?

I cannot see where White went wrong in putting Couture out against Lesnar. It was a money fight which may not have been available in 6 months time had either had a very damaging loss in the meantime. Thats good business to me. And I might add, sport IS business now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ROC1977 wrote: »
    I never said it was Brock or Randys fault. Dana White's fault. Yes lots of people wanted to see the fight. Why??? To see Randy win.

The same way I stayed up to watch it as usual. I hate WWE. And thats just my opinion. I'm not here to get into heated debates, just to make my point. Which none of you seem to grasp.

All I'm saying the weight devision need to be re thought, and a ranking system needs to be implemented. Sport isn't sport if it isn't fair.

Both fighters agreed to fight alright, I'd fight Lesnar myself for 200k. And I'm half his weight.
    Any passed the day at work anyway. You you lads again tomorrow!! lol
    Joe Silva is the matchmaker, not Dana White although Id say he does have final approval.

I really don't remember anyone giving out about weight limits when Randy was fighting Tim(263 i think) or Gonzaga(close to 240/250).
    The UFC is a business and is never gonna have a ranking system cause it would prevent exciting fights. If they did Machida would be a lot higher towards a LHW shot then most of the division but Griffin vs Machida isn't gonna have much of an appeal to a lot of the people who buy PPVs.
    And it is fair really, this is the division they agree to fight in and they know the risks. Or would you prefer a boxing structure. Sure we can split heavyweight. What about people 195lb.Lets get a Super-MW division. 163lb?Light Welterweight sure. Can't solve old age with new weight classes since I think the average HW is about 235/240 now and a lot are bulking up even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Robbie Lawler, Mike Bisping, Dan Henderson off the top of my head. Now I'm not saying any of them will beat Silva. But at least they would be decent fights.

Ring any bells?

ufc-82.jpg

silva_henderson_zuffa_400.jpg

SilvaKicksHendoHZ.aim640.jpg

mma_rf_silva_henderson_580.jpg

ufc73-salaries.jpg

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Guys, try and stick to the topic, or else you will awaken the Dragan...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I never said it was Brock or Randys fault. Dana White's fault. Yes lots of people wanted to see the fight. Why??? To see Randy win.

Dana’s fault?

So WWE fans wanted Randy to win now? Pardon.
    The same way I stayed up to watch it as usual. I hate WWE.

The truth comes out. What does this got to do with anything by the way? Why take it out on them or Brock even? Do you hate Gina Carano for bringing female viewers to the sport? Do you hate women?
    And thats just my opinion. I'm not here to get into heated debates, just to make my point. Which none of you seem to grasp.

I grasp it as it is the typical Sherdogger opinion it is totally ass backward and shows a complete lack of understanding of fight promotion and in actual fact MMA history.
    All I'm saying the weight devision need to be re thought, and a ranking system needs to be implemented. Sport isn't sport if it isn't fair.

You know there is a thing called a Commission which over sees the fairness of fights?

To me you just come across as feeling emasculated because a “fake” Pro Wrestler won a MMA title.
    Both fighters agreed to fight alright, I'd fight Lesnar myself for 200k. And I'm half his weight.

:rolleyes: I know it is a joke but an athletic commission would sanction it? No because in their assessment it isn’t fair. The Heavyweight limit was been set for a long time. But as soon as a “fake” pro wrestler wins it. People start crying about it.
    Joe Silva is the matchmaker, not Dana White although Id say he does have final approval.

HOW DARE YOU CORRECT A LONG TIME FAN :pac:

Anyway back to the topic at hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »
    Guys, try and stick to the topic, or else you will awaken the Dragan...........

Good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

That could be anyone. I mean, aside from the publicity shot, when do you actually see Henderson's face in the photos?

It never happened, just like the moonwalk...

Michael Jackson didn't really do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

gimmick wrote: »
    Nonsense. So the majority of the buyers and watchers of UFC 91 did so for the purpose of seeing Lesnar lose? Incredible assertion that. Myself, and I am a wrestling fan, the lustre of this fight was to see a fight between a very green fighter fight one of the most experienced and decorated guys in the company. Now is that my opinion as a wrestling fan or an MMA fan?

As rovert pointed out already, you say in one breath that people should deserve title shots, and with the next entertaining fights should be at the fore? Which is it to be?
    Wresting fan.
    Show me where I said this. I was asked who I would have liked to see Silva fight over Cote.

Too many people don't read post. Jump in half way through, and make statements. Miss quote, and are WWE fanboys. And if fairness ANY adult who watches WWE who isn't bringing a child to watch it is a complete moron anyway. And their limited opinion on fighting should be left with the Red neck inbreed yanks that they emulate to be.
    I think won't be posting on MMA here anymore. I'll post on a site where people know what they are talking about.

Wresting fan.
    Show me where I said this. I was asked who I would have liked to see Silva fight over Cote.

Too many people don't read post. Jump in half way through, and make statements. Miss quote, and are WWE fanboys. And if fairness ANY adult who watches WWE who isn't bringing a child to watch it is a complete moron anyway. And their limited opinion on fighting should be left with the Red neck inbreed yanks that they emulate to be.
    I think won't be posting on MMA here anymore. I'll post on a site where people know what they are talking about.

Right, take a time out then.

Enjoy.

rovert wrote: »
    :rolleyes: I know it is a joke but an athletic commission would sanction it? No because in their assessment it isn’t fair. The Heavyweight limit was been set for a long time. But as soon as a “fake” pro wrestler wins it. People start crying about it.
    If I remember right that happened with some fights on Prides vegas shows. Since Pride didn't exactly enforce weight classes(except in title fights) anyone could fight anyone but on a couple of proposed fights the NSAC wouldn't approve the fights cause of size in 1 case and ground advantage in another. I think:confused:
    HOW DARE YOU CORRECT A LONG TIME FAN :pac:
    My mistake :D

• Advertisement

I never knew that being a fan of Wrestling & MMA is mutually exclusive until today. :)

I never knew that being a fan of Wrestling & MMA is mutually exclusive until today. :)
    Didn't you know? Sherdog started this campaign a long time ago. Sakuraba's the only former pro-wrestler allowed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I think most people's problem was with the timescale of Lesnar's match with Randy. One win. One loss and boom, you're big time.

That being said there's not too many heavyweights out there.

Roper wrote: »
    That being said there's not too many heavyweights in the UFC
    Fixed :pac:
    Affliction has a great HW roster....just not much else right now

So, Cotoure V Liddell IV eh?

I think most people's problem was with the timescale of Lesnar's match with Randy. One win. One loss and boom, you're big time.

I think perhaps the justification for Lesnar not getting a title shot would have been had he lost?*

*Devil's Advocate

Didn't you know? Sherdog started this campaign a long time ago. Sakuraba's the only former pro-wrestler allowed :)

To quote one poster from another board "Hélio Gracie must be rolling over in his grave" :p

Again see my point about Randy being first fighter to win a UFC title in 4 fights.

I dont think is the timescale people have been bitching about Brock ever since he joined UFC. I really do think it seems that Brock emasculates REAL MMA fans. But look at him and his background for just one second objectively?

Too true there wasnt much depth until Randy stepped up and Brock came along. Prior it was more a hamster wheel than a division.

Going off topic again - but I have neevr read Sherdog. But what was their opinion of Houston Alexander 18 months ago? Hate or love?

gimmick wrote: »
    Going off topic again - but I have neevr read Sherdog. But what was their opinion of Houston Alexander 18 months ago? Hate or love?
    None since his 1st UFC fight was 17 months ago :D......wait nope Im counting wrong. Your made it by a few days damn you :o
    Back then it was Houston vs Rampage debates a lot. You'd be amazed how the mood there changes without being civilised(im a lurker there :pac: )

Back on topic - I really really don't want to see that fight. Watch it yes but want it no. Theres better people to have fight even without them speaking german. Could just use Randy like a press officer and give them a fight people want.

What everyone seems to forget is that Randy won his first title in only his 4th fight too.

Brock became the second person to accomplish this fete by beating Randy, which has a certain poetry to it.

Edit: Beaten too it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

What if Couture ties up the series to 2-2, will there be a final rubber match to decide who is the most popular in UFC history or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Here's a question...... If Randy v Chuck happens then who would you cheer for?

I honestly wouldn't be able to wish a loss on any of them.

Here's a question...... If Randy v Chuck happens then who would you cheer for?

I honestly wouldn't be able to wish a loss on any of them.

Randy.

I still believe that his head wasn't in the game for the last fight, and that Randy at his best would beat Chuck at his best any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Here's a link from bloddyelbow.com about the fight possibly being at Heavyweight:
    Bloody Elbow Exclusive: Chuck Liddell Mulling Move to Heavyweight

A strong source indicates to Bloody Elbow that Chuck Liddell is currently in negotiations to move to heavyweight in order to fight Randy Couture. The proposed fight would take place on June 13th in Cologne, Germany.

The UFC wants to have Randy on their Germany show because he speaks the language and can do all the promotion. The winner of the fight would face the heavyweight champion in a big fight at the end of the year.

Couture is uninterested in moving down to 205 where Forrest Griffin is champion and Wanderlei Silva is also a contender. Both are close to him and in his camp, and weight cutting takes a toll at his age. Given his status, they aren't going to have him fight guys like Cheick Kongo, it is only big fights for Couture at this stage.

For Liddell, the thought is that at his age the weight cutting process is taking more of a toll on his body, and whereas he would have to win a bunch of fights to get back at contention at 205, the heavyweight division is thin enough where he could jump in and be an immediate contender with a win.

It is believed internally that Couture/Liddell will draw better than Silva/Liddell, and they know that a potential Liddell/Lesnar match would probably be the biggest PPV in the history of MMA. It's one of those win-win situations for PPV business. Even a match between the two losers later in the year could likely do big business.

The Anderson Silva match was discussed, but the buyrate news from October pretty much sealed the deal against that fight. Anderson Silva will still probably fight in February in the UK, but not against Liddell.

Randy.

I still believe that his head wasn't in the game for the last fight, and that Randy at his best would beat Chuck at his best any day of the week.

Bet you wouldn't say that to Chucks face!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I have to admit I don't really have a hard-on for a Cokolotoure Lidell rematch, maybe in a few months it be interesting. They're both at the end of their careers (approaching) so why not finish on a mega fight where they're not going to lose based on pure athleticism ?

Bet you wouldn't say that to Chucks face!! :eek:

I bet you wouldn't say that Chucks the better fighter to Randy's face either!:p

Apparently this is the latest pic of Chuck:
    1124_chuck_liddell_splash.jpg

Apparently this is the latest pic of Chuck:
    1124_chuck_liddell_splash.jpg
    Heres the most recent ive found :D
    2850982.jpg

• Advertisement

Latest pictures of Chuck :pac: LMAO hahahahahahhahaha.

Advertisement