Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic on way to Shannon airport??

Options
  • 24-11-2008 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

I'll be driving from Bray to Shannon airport to catch a flight departing at 10.20am. I hope to arrive at the airport before 9am, just wondering what the traffic around limerick will be like? Should I allow time for traffic jams etc?

Any of the mapping websites / satnav all say around 4 hours?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Getting into limerick and out the other side could take an hour. But traffic after that going to the airport will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    Getting into limerick and out the other side could take an hour. But traffic after that going to the airport will be fine.

Especially at the time you will be hitting the far side of Limerick, 7:30-8:00,
    But once you hit the Dual-Carriageway, straight run, 20 mins tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

Thanks for the fast replies, so what time should i be hitting Limerick to make it to Shannon for 8.30am (ish), didn't realise that it could take up to an hour to get through Limerick for the airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

7.20ish should be plenty imo, depending on route ur taking cross town.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Actually,you cud bypass Limerick by turning at birdhill,go through Parteen and that will bring you out by Thomond Park.

I would say another 20/25 minutes from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

jackncoke wrote: »
    Actually,you cud bypass Limerick by turning at birdhill,go through Parteen and that will bring you out by Thomond Park.

I would say another 20/25 minutes from there

Bypass Limerick, turning off at Birdhill for O'Briensbridge, then Ardnacrusha, Meelick and onto the Dual Carriageway near the Two Mile Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

phog wrote: »
    Bypass Limerick, turning off at Birdhill for O'Briensbridge, then Ardnacrusha, Meelick and onto the Dual Carriageway near the Two Mile Inn.

That would be fairly confusing for someone not from the area tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

If you're hitting Castletroy at 7.30am, you'll be in Limerick city centre at 7.40am. From there, about 5 mins drive out to the start of the dual carriageway to the airport and as a post above says, about 20 mins to the airport. Park up, get a good Irish breakfast in the Estuary Cafe and you'll have plenty of time to relax for the (Stansted ???) flight.

If you hit Castletroy at 8am, then forget about breakfast because it'll take about over an hour to get there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

would OP not be best to avoid the city centre altogether? get onto the dual carraigeway at finnegan's, go around the city and take the turn off there, down the dock road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

fatgav wrote: »
    would OP not be best to avoid the city centre altogether? get onto the dual carraigeway at finnegan's, go around the city and take the turn off there, down the dock road?

You're right but the Dock Road can be very busy as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I drive from Castletroy to Shannon every day.

If I leave at 8:00, I'll be in Shannon for 8:40.
    If I leave at 8:20, I'll be in Shannon for 9:10

If you are passing through Castletroy before 8am, then your laughing. You can make it in around 28 mins.

Head in the dublin road, passing the parkway shopping centre on ur left. Go through 3 sets of traffic lights, u will pass art college on ur left. At d small roundabout, go right, over the bridge. Go straight at d next lights, and left at the next small roundabout, passing king johns castle. Keep straight, pass thomond park, first exit at roundabout down hill lined wit trees. Turn right at ivans cross trafficlights, then put the boot down straight out d road from there. Thats the easiest route and never gets u too stuck in d city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

as long as you reach limerick city before 8 you'll fly through the city in no time. 20 mins later though and thats a different story. Since your coming from Bray I'm not able to tell ya what time you should leave bray because im not sure how long it takes (course you wont have to worry about traffic that early even on the M50).

Id just go straight through the city centre, its the most direct route and shouldnt be a problem at that time.

I didn't expect to get this much info!
    The suggestion of hitting the Estuary cafe for breakfast sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

zuroph wrote: »
    Head in the dublin road, passing the parkway shopping centre on ur left. Go through 3 sets of traffic lights, u will pass art college on ur left. At d small roundabout, go right, over the bridge. Go straight at d next lights, and left at the next small roundabout, passing king johns castle. Keep straight, pass thomond park, first exit at roundabout down hill lined wit trees. Turn right at ivans cross trafficlights, then put the boot down straight out d road from there. Thats the easiest route and never gets u too stuck in d city.

Or you could just follow the signs with the little plane on them.....

:D

ud think....

Advertisement