Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator Reflective Packs

Options
  • 24-11-2008 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

has anyone installed a reflective pack behind a radiator to prevent the radiator simply heating up the wall.

what has your experience of them been? i have come across one on the web (presume it's against rules to post the address) - 20 panels of 450 mm x 570 mm for £50 (strl)

if anyone has come across cheaper ones can you pm me the details

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Foil will reflect heat, thats definite.... but £50 sounds steep!
    I assume aluminium foil would have the same effect, just a bit more DIY effort maybe.

Maybe it could be stuck, glued or pasted behind a radiator, without the need to take the rad off the wall?
    Worth a try.... caters aluminium roll is only €8 for 90m length!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY from C & P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

RKQ wrote: »
    Foil will reflect heat, thats definite.... but £50 sounds steep!
    I assume aluminium foil would have the same effect, just a bit more DIY effort maybe.

Maybe it could be stuck, glued or pasted behind a radiator, without the need to take the rad off the wall?
    Worth a try.... caters aluminium roll is only €8 for 90m length!

+1. I'd take it a bit further by gluing the alu foil to 8 x 4 sheets of hardboard (best bought from a builder's providers, not a DIY store). Glue the alu on with something like Evostick. Then on an 8 x 4 sheet your would have almost 3 square metres of panel against your 1/4 of a metre for €50, and you can get a lot of hardboard for €50. Since it's fairly ridgid you can cut it and easily fix it behind the rads since it will lie flat against the wall with a couple of short masonry nails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Do those who now use the foil notice a marked difference than before??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Do those who now use the foil notice a marked difference than before??

I have to say I remain to be convinced, but basic physics suggests that there must be some benefit. Whether it's enough to be worth the effort is another matter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement