Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big vocabulary ?

Options
  • 24-11-2008 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

When I collected my daughter last Friday (just turned 15 months) from the creche, the 2 staff said she has "an amazing vocabulary".
    She's my first kid so I dont know what is normal.
    Dont ask me how many words she has as I could not possibly count them.
    On a specific subject e.g. birds for example I could tell you she uses the following words: duck crow jackdaw owl (and for the correct one).
    She also knows Swedish (from her mothers side)
    I do remember she could speak a dozen words of each language by 12 months.

Anyone had a similar experience and if so am interested in what the future has in store.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Our son who is now 6 was an early talker and could speak very clearly with a large vocabulary. We never had any of the issues with using signs for things he wants or anything like that. It doesn't make him any smarter than any other kid though. He is doing well in school but no sign or a super IQ or anything. But he does like to talk. He will start up conversations with any adult willing to listen and those unwilling to listen. When he was younger he would have trouble understanding his peers sometimes and say "I don't know what you are saying" but that isn't an issue anymore.

His sister who is 2 and 9 months did not talk as early or as clearly but is developing nicely. At the end of the day I don't know what it means for the long term, if anything really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

My son was like that. He's 4 now and I would say that he does have a good aptitude for languages. He has as much, if not more, Irish as his older sister and seems to retain the words more easily and has a great memory. He's mad for learning to spell at the minute but I think that's because his sister is teaching him which I imagine is pretty normal for pre- schoolers with school going siblings. He's bright but not genius level :D.
    However despite his early talking and large and clear vocabulary he's been referred to speech therapy because he can't pronounce the "r" sound.

My eldest was a good talker too but more at the expected developmental pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

My eldest was the same,
    he would chat away to people
    and be understood from a young age.
    and explained what we were doing as we went along.
    He could also list off animals names but that was down to
    us repeating the same thing's daily.(he is now 12)
    Still chatty and good at the books

My second lad did nothing but eat,sleep
    and smile till he was 15 months.
    He was no performing monkey,(now 10)
    He is the genius of the family,

The third lad we didn't
    teach to talk,the house was noisy enough:D
    He is like the first lad really,
    just a more spoilt version,being the baby(now 7)

Your daughter sound's like
    she is very cute and has very
    good and patient parents;)

Enjoy her,the time flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

my ds 1 was talking at 7 months old, he would point and say "dis" (this) he would also say momma, dadda, deff (jeff - friend), douise (louise), no, up. All this between 7 - 8 months ... now 4 cant shut him up. lol.
    DS 2 started talking about 1 year old which i think is the norm.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

All children develop at different rates and at different tasks.

your child might have load of words but her climbing or colouring might not be as good, as another child with less words.

i wouldnt go counting your chickens at have a genuis in the family, just yet :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement