Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circuit Breaker Faulty

Options
  • 24-11-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi All,

Hope ye can help me. I am having a problem with a circuit breaker constantly tripping. The only things on itn are the Sitting room light, dining room light and the outside light. It was constantly causing problems but we identifies the source of that as a gaping hole behind the outside light which was allowing the wires to get damp and eventually burnt off. This was remedied but now for some reason the circuit breaker still tryips but when its reset there doesn't seem to be any power to any of the lights. Can circuit brekers fail, can they be faulty? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

The best way to isolate the problem is to remove the load from the breaker.

If it still trips out, then its faulty. If it doesnt, then you have an earth leakage fault on whatever device is plugged in, or within your wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Yes they can fail, turn the power off at the main switch/fuse & bell across the MCB. If it doesnt bell its broken.I am fairly sure when a MCB blows it melts open so no power can get onto the circuit.

Also the switch can become lame if its old as hell so you might have to replace it if it does bell. A MCB Switch should FLIP into place not go up or down with ease. if that happens replace it.

Another thing it could be related to the lamps in the fittings. Remove any broken lamps as they can cause a fault which will keep causiing the circuit to trip on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Yes they can fail, turn the power off at the main switch/fuse & bell across the MCB. If it doesnt bell its broken.I am fairly sure when a MCB blows it melts open so no power can get onto the circuit.
    It may bell out even if the MCB is open circuit.
    MCBs can fail open, or fail (weld) closed. I would imagine the MCB is not the problem. The chances are the problem is a breakdown between live and neutral, or an earth fault. The first place I would look is at the light.
    It was constantly causing problems but we identifies the source of that as a gaping hole behind the outside light which was allowing the wires to get damp and eventually burnt o
    I dont know what you mean by burnt off, but this does not sound good! Also as a general rule water and electricity are a bad mix!! Get a qualified electrician to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

fishdog wrote: »
    I dont know what you mean by burnt off, but this does not sound good! Also as a general rule water and electricity are a bad mix!! Get a qualified electrician to look at it.

+1

there may also be a chance that the breakers are Garo units, these have a safety setting, when they trip they move into an intermediate position, you have to flick them completely down and then back up again to get them to work, just an outside chance.

Advertisement