Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matt Cassel

• 24-11-2008 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

A free agent at the end of the season. Where does his future lie?
    He seems to grow in stature with every game he plays, also is more mobile than number 12.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Got his start the same way as Brady and look what Brady has achieved. His future probably won't lie in NE, Brady is a god to them. Be a good QB for the Lions to trade for, seen as they have loads of draft pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

Hard to know whether they'll tade for him or just use one of their million draft picks on a new QB. Plus they've just signed Daunte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

He'll get about $64m next year. TBH he should be very fussy where he goes. Without welker and moss his statistics wouldn't be as good. Doubt if the Lions can afford him, they've had so many high draft picks in the first round they're under cap pressure and they'll have the No1 pick this year. They need to go offensive tackle, defensive end, safety and guard with their first four picks in the next draft and they gotta have them all pan out.

Good point, they've wasted a good few top drafts in the last few years. They've a lot of work to do. 3 of the 4 early first round picks that they picked this decade aren't in the NFL at the moment, Charles Rogers, Mike
    Williams and Joey Harrington.

money.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Heres one for you.

What happens if the Patriots win the Super Bowl this season? If Cassell were to get traded would he be the first Super Bowl winning quarterback to be traded immediately?

• Advertisement

Ya may ask Adam Schefter about that. I think Trent Dilfer is the only Superbowl winning QB to be cut after winning the Superbowl. Would that be kind of the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

We'll have him at the Chiefs please. Croyle is too injury prone and Thigpen is still too raw. Cassels would suit our young team down to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

He'd be a good fit for the chiefs alright, they need another drastic overhaul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He'd be a good fit for the chiefs alright, they need another drastic overhaul.

No drastic ovehaul needed. That's been and gone. Now it's all about giving a young team experience and a leader at QB is required. If that happens then the current crop will be quality in three or four years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Bruce11

If he keeps up his form he will be one hell off a rich amn come deal time. Pats might not want him going elsewhere and keep as cover for Brady.

Look at Green Bay, sold Favre to Jets as they believed that on that team he would not be a threat and they wouldn't sell him onto direct rivals. American football has some of the most complex transfers, this will be interesting to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If he's a free agent the pats will have no choie over where he goes. But I doubt he goes to a division rival, there all looking pretty good at QB right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Patriots love Kevin O'Connell so will have him as No 2 next year and will draft somebody who has good fundamentals in round 3 or 4 i'd say. They'll let Cassell go although obviously they'd love to do a sign and trade but the only way that would happen would be if a team desperately needed to avoid signing a high first rounder because of the salary cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Would love him to come to San Francisco. Alex Smith is a certified bust, JTO Sullivan's nickname Just Turn Over suits him better and Shaun Hill reminds me of Tim Rattay good enough to manage a game and make a few plays but not someone to build an offense around and win 11+ games.

Doubt it will happen but can dream!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No drastic ovehaul needed. That's been and gone. Now it's all about giving a young team experience and a leader at QB is required. If that happens then the current crop will be quality in three or four years.

I agree, they had their drastic overhaul last year, its a time for building up confidence in the players they have, with one or two additions obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Bruce11 wrote: »
    If he keeps up his form he will be one hell off a rich amn come deal time. Pats might not want him going elsewhere and keep as cover for Brady.

Look at Green Bay, sold Favre to Jets as they believed that on that team he would not be a threat and they wouldn't sell him onto direct rivals. American football has some of the most complex transfers, this will be interesting to watch.

Cassell wont want to backup anyone not with the season he is having. One thing Cassell needs to fix though is his Deep Passes he has no accuracy past 40 yards. Its a pity the amount of completions missed this year to Moss.

There is talk of the Patriots franchising Cassell meaning he gets a top 5 wage thus hoping he stays for the next year with the guarantee of top money. Giving the Pats time on Brady's fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Few Eagles fans i know seem to think he would be a great replacement for Mcnabb if they were lookin to replace him

As a pats fan im torn, he is developing nicely, but Brady is Brady, the problem is, how will he be after this injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Forget about him staying at the Pats, the guy has been benched since high school; he's been given a chance and has taken it with both hands, I can see him going to Philly, who'll almost certainly be without McNabb next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm an Eagles fan and I hope he doesnt come to us.As much as I hate McNabd, Cassell will be a waste of money.Give Kolb a chance rather than take Cassell. Look what Anderson did last year with the Browns, they paid him big and it was a huge mistake, it'll be the same with Cassell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Potential starting job at the Patriots for Cassell if he can win it, maybe 2010. I think they should pay him and he should stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Karlusss wrote: »
    Potential starting job at the Patriots for Cassell if he can win it, maybe 2010. I think they should pay him and he should stay.

I doubt this happens. THe Pats wont waste cap space on by giving a big contract to Cassll to sit on his ass for 2 years, after this year I doubt Cassell will be happy sitting on his ass for 2 years aswell.

However, this is actually a pretty awful year to be a QB trying to move teams while looking for a big contract. If this happens last year he'd be in good position to get himself a nice pay day, but this year will be hard.

Last year the Falcons, Ravens, Cards, bears, Jets, Dolphins, vikings, Bucs and chiefs would of all been interested. This year the chiefs and vikings are the only teams who have question marks over there QB. The cards might try to get him since Warner is so old though.

Not only that, but teams will be wary of an anderson 2.0

• Advertisement

Steve Young - Joe Montana? Tell the guy he's got open competition. I don't know, it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Brady's got 1 years season left? There's a little bit of an over-reaction here, Cassel is clearly a decent QB, but talking about him challenging one of the best QB's of all time, a year and a half from now, is dreaming.

Brady will be at NE for at least another 5 years I reckon, in order to keep Cassel, they'd probably have to pay him more than Brady getss (Brady, remember, took a pay cut to make room in the Salary cap for Moss). Cassel simple will not be a Pats player next season.

It does make you wonder how someone like Joey Harrington (or Matt Leinart) would have fared, if he'd been drafted by a proper franchise, who gave him time to develop and didn't chew him up and spit him out.

Brady's got 1 season left? There's a little bit of an over-reaction here, Cassel is clearly a decent QB, but talking about him challenging one of the best QB's of all time, a year and a half from now, is dreaming.

Brady will be at NE for at least another 5 years I reckon, in order to keep Cassel, they'd probably have to pay him more than Brady getss (Brady, remember, took a pay cut to make room in the Salary cap for Moss). Cassel simple will not be a Pats player next season.

It does make you wonder how someone like Joey Harrington (or Matt Leinart) would have fared, if he'd been drafted by a proper franchise, who gave him time to develop and didn't chew him up and spit him out.

Brady's got 1 good season left? There's a little bit of an over-reaction here, Cassel is clearly a decent QB, but talking about him challenging one of the best QB's of all time, a year and a half from now, is dreaming.

Must say, having seen him during the pre-season I didn't think he'd even be their back-up QB. He'd a couple of disasters. Maybe he's just one of those that needs the big stage, kind of like Jake Delhomme. Just after reading he's the first Patroits QB to throw for over 400 yards in consequtive games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

There is talk of the Patriots franchising Cassell meaning he gets a top 5 wage thus hoping he stays for the next year with the guarantee of top money. Giving the Pats time on Brady's fitness.

Franchising a QB this season would have cost $10.73m (see http://www.askthecommish.com/articles/page.asp?pid=5) and that may increase next year. Could you see the Patriots paying Cassell that sort of money to be injury insurance for Brady ? And if they did, would it prevent them making other signings ? I can't see them paying that much for a back up or offering him a lucrative long term deal, which would doubtless feature a sizeable amount of guaranteed money. Cassell will realise that this is his opportunity to cash in and step out permanently from being a backup to being a full time starter, if not in NE then elsewhere.

heyjude wrote: »
    Franchising a QB this season would have cost $10.73m (see http://www.askthecommish.com/articles/page.asp?pid=5) and that may increase next year. Could you see the Patriots paying Cassell that sort of money to be injury insurance for Brady ? And if they did, would it prevent them making other signings ? I can't see them paying that much for a back up or offering him a lucrative long term deal, which would doubtless feature a sizeable amount of guaranteed money. Cassell will realise that this is his opportunity to cash in and step out permanently from being a backup to being a full time starter, if not in NE then elsewhere.

Personally I dont want the Patriots to do any such thing but there was talk of it among the football world. Put it this way Brady comes back lasts 3 games and the Organisation realises his knee is fooked. Cassell gone back to square 1 offering a back up a full season i.e O'Connell. The reason for the talk is that Cassell wont get the same contract over one year with someone else than he woud accepting the franchise so it might entice him to stay. Should the Patriots risk their salary cap and keep Cassell for that money my opinion no. But thems are the thoughts buzzing around New England. Im sure we are going to hear alot more over the next 12 months as to Cassell, Brady and the Pats.

Anyone who has played Madden (don't lie, that's everyone) or watched them enough knows that the Patriots offence has about 1,000 formations and wrinkles and audibles and hots. The problem is that, as you're saying, if Brady goes down, they pretty much need a system quarterback, and that's O'Connell, unless they get someone like Damon Huard in who learned it a couple of years ago. It could have changed since then, I don't know.

Fact of the matter is, Cassell being brilliant sort of came back to bite the Pats in the arse. It's like Brees vs. Rivers in San Diego except x 20 because Tom Brady is Tom Brady.

Anyone who has played Madden (don't lie, that's everyone) or watched them enough knows that the Patriots offence has about 1,000 formations and wrinkles and audibles and hots. The problem is that, as you're saying, if Brady goes down, they pretty much need a system quarterback, and that's O'Connell, unless they get someone like Damon Huard in who learned it a couple of years ago. It could have changed since then, I don't know.

Fact of the matter is, Cassell being brilliant sort of came back to bite the Pats in the arse. It's like Brees vs. Rivers in San Diego except x 20 because Tom Brady is Tom Brady.

Firstly Madden only touches on the surfaces of reality with their playbooks in the game. They are merely plays based on real plays and are usually taken and researched from old playbooks and from what researchers see at camps and at games. If they were reality sure Bill wouldnt have needed a cameraman for spygate he would have just asked Madden or used a PS3 on the sideline :D But you are right some playbooks can be up to 800 pages long. Thats good bedtime reading for players.

How is O'Connell any different to Cassell? In fact Cassell has a few more years on him. Now if you mean Cassell goes and Brady is fooked yes then it will most likely be O'Connell.

As for the Patriots system. It has undergone some changes over the last 7 years. The Patriots have under gone a make over in the last 7 years with the increased abiltiy of our O and Josh McDaniels under the guidance of Bill.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's what I mean. From the point of view of the organisation, Cassell coming good has meant that they might have to take a risk on Brady not being in trouble with that injury. If some other fool launches himself literally head-first at Brady's shin in the first game next year and Cassell's playing for the Eagles or whoever, that leaves O'Connell who might not actually be good (weird having to qualify that, as if all Pats quarterbacks are expected to be good). Plus who? Do they draft a quarterback in the first round?

I obviously know Madden doesn't reflect reality, I just meant that they a lot of complications to their playbook.

Advertisement