Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic Turntable to link to Basic HiFi

• 24-11-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Planning to get my Dad a turntable for Christmas. I had a sneaky look at
    the inputs on the back of his stereo and the input options are very limited.

The only audio inputs are the basic white and red inputs pair.

Can anyone recommend a turntable that I can connect to this hifi - budget would be less than 100EUR.

Thanks,
    Majj

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

are those inputs at phono level or line level?? this will determine if you need a phono preamp or not...

try sounds around on capel street, they are a DJ shop that do budget turntables as well.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Thanks Adam. Not sure what you mean but will get the model number and check further.

Majj

it has red & white inputs, there can be two types of signals with these connectors. for a turntable, the signal needs to be phono level. whereas if it was for an ipod etc, it would need to be a line level input.

if it turns out it only has a line level input you'll need a phono preamp. this converts the turntable's phono level to a line level and hey presto... sound!

if the inputs are called "line", "Aux" etc then its a line level and you'll need a preamp. if its called phono, then its phono level and you'll be fine without a preamp.

adam

Hi Adam,

Only now managed to get the model num SONY HCD-WZ5 (can't find a link), and can confirm on the inputs are labelled MD/Video. I suspect it's a line level input.

Any ideas where I might get a phone preamp and turntable? and am I realistically going to get them both for 100 EUR?

Cheers,
    majj

you could try sounds around on capel street for the turntable at least. they might also have a preamp as well.. if not then maplin on jervis street should have one

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=28732

adam

• Advertisement

The wheels of steel might be spinning this Christmas, oh the misery for some and joy for others :)

Thanks Adam,

Majj

Advertisement