Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best and worst looking aircraft.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

This plane was originally designated the RS-71. RS stood for Reconnaissance/Strike. It could carry a single nuclear gravity bomb.

A nuclear Gravity Bomb sounds real menacing.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

Wasn't that the same aircraft Leo crashed into Beverley Hills in the Aviator?

Dont think so, what he built was a hughes aircraft. Strange that him being hughes and all.

And the p-38 is beutiful. I just love it. The P-61 is the ugly big brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

oztots wrote: »
    I think so yeah, what he built was a hughes aircraft (the XF-11 was designed by Howard Huges who was played by Leo in The Aviator) . And the gobsheen did crash one into the beverly hills mountain side in said movie

fixed for you :P

also, does anyone have any clue as to what this or if it's even real? I just saw it on some random page.
    Movie-Plane.jpg

I want to do things to this plane.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Great looking plane

pby-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Silenceisbliss also, does anyone have any clue as to what this or if it's even real? I just saw it on some random page.

Isnt that from that terrible movie Stealth?! Not real btw.
    Silenceisbliss
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oztots
    I think so yeah, what he built was a hughes aircraft (the XF-11 was designed by Howard Huges who was played by Leo in The Aviator) . And the gobsheen did crash one into the beverly hills mountain side in said movie

fixed for you
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Rocketeer

;)
    Tnx View Profile
    wikipedia tells that it's F/A 37 :)

;)

oh right, forgot about that movie. sad now that its not real. savage looking thing

This is the connie they're going to stick the other ones into. It looks a bit corroded, and if i can find a pic of the landing gear that its sitting on front on its worth a look. Bit sideways for my liking!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

It is a nice airliner alright, like the Concord as well, but otherwise...modern airliners says nothing to me, just too plain seems to me, well apart from the schemes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Dan-AirLondon_Comet4.jpg

I always liked the way the comet had engines that integrated with the wing instead of sitting separately. Why is it with planes today this is no longer the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Slice wrote: »
    I always liked the way the comet had engines that integrated with the wing instead of sitting separately. Why is it with planes today this is no longer the case?

Access and engine swaps, and most engines can containe blade failure, whereas with integrated engines id say a blade would do serious damage.

FOGOFUNK wrote: »
    Access and engine swaps, and most engines can containe blade failure, whereas with integrated engines id say a blade would do serious damage.

That configuration probably couldnt help with fuel lines either would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Slice wrote: »
    Dan-AirLondon_Comet4.jpg

When the Comet came out they probably only had a single choice of engine, whereas modern aircraft can use multiple models (from GE, RR etc.) depending on the customer. It's much easier to redesign an engine pylon for this rather than a whole wing section!

The Comet is a beautiful looking plane though, especially considering how bad the Nimrod looks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A340-600 particularly when it looks like this...

0949920.jpg

The Aer Lingus commuter shown previously as worst..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

1232557.jpg

Beautiful!

1379848.jpg

Not so much.

Advertisement