Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Number calling me daily

• 24-11-2008 4:26pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting missed calls for the past week from the number +1 (234) 567. I googled it and found out that it's from an internet telephone. I've contacted anyone I know that might use internet telephones but none have been trying to ring me. Apparently it's also used by scammers, so I'm a bit worried.

Rang O2 there to get on the cold-calling opt-out, to see if that would make a difference but even though it says on their own website that they can get me on the opt-out list, the person on the phone and her supervisor pleaded ignorance.

I think my only real options are to either live with it (with the ringer on silent for the number) or change my number.

Has anyone else been receiving calls from this number, it's basically just 1234567. Should I answer it next time or would that encourage them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Just answer it and tell them to stop ringing you. I get it quite a bit from mobile companies phoning me up telling me they can get me a better insurance rate or tariff rate etc despite not knowing how much I'm on in the first place.

At one point, I was getting calls and when I answered, they hung up. So I simply kept calling them back until I spoke to someone to tell them to stop calling me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's not a real number though, as far as I can find online you can't actually ring it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I'm getting missed calls for the past week from the number +1 (234) 567. I googled it and found out that it's from an internet telephone. I've contacted anyone I know that might use internet telephones but none have been trying to ring me. Apparently it's also used by scammers, so I'm a bit worried.

Rang O2 there to get on the cold-calling opt-out, to see if that would make a difference but even though it says on their own website that they can get me on the opt-out list, the person on the phone and her supervisor pleaded ignorance.

I think my only real options are to either live with it (with the ringer on silent for the number) or change my number.

Has anyone else been receiving calls from this number, it's basically just 1234567. Should I answer it next time or would that encourage them?

If you were to answer the call, don't answer any questions, only ask questions; if you so wish.

It just rang again there now so I picked up and said nothing, there was no one there, not even the sound of an open line, hung up again.

Yargh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Actually, my better half got a strange phonecall from a number like that on Saturday. This foreign guy kept ringing saying "Ring me back, ring me back". My wife told him he had the wrong number, but he persisted. When he rang a second time, I answered it and, using my sternest possible voice, said "Hello".

He didn't ring back after that. :)

• Advertisement

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/123456789

Slightly conflicting accounts on this. I'm going to check to see if anyone has posted my phone number on a message board...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There was something in the news a month or so ago, which I now cannot find the article for, about various banks getting fined by the EU for their automated calling systems. Basically their computers would go along and call up all their customers and the idea was that when you answered somone in India or wherever would then talk to you about the latest fantastic serivces they had to offer. There were never enough people in the call centres to cope with how quickly their computers were making the calls though which resulted in loads of silent calls being made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Calls to mobiles generally do cost money though, unlike calls to landlines. Answer it and leave it off the hook for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Heh, I remember about a year ago I kept getting calls from an 086 number. I answered a few times and it was sounded like some crazy Indian woman. Went on for a while, so when I answered one time I just plainly said 'F*** off.' and that was the last I heard from her. :D

Ya gotta be stern with these people! :P

robinph wrote: »
    There was something in the news a month or so ago, which I now cannot find the article for, about various banks getting fined by the EU for their automated calling systems. Basically their computers would go along and call up all their customers and the idea was that when you answered somone in India or wherever would then talk to you about the latest fantastic serivces they had to offer. There were never enough people in the call centres to cope with how quickly their computers were making the calls though which resulted in loads of silent calls being made.

Oh, this sounds more than plausible. A good few banks actually have my details as I was scouting for a better savings deal recently.

Hmm. Maybe I should "Talk to Joe" :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As long as you dont get asked to '' press 1 now '' on your call .I did once and i didnt press 1 either .Scam

Advertisement