Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

editing software for mpeg-2

Options
  • 24-11-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I recently purchased sony DCR-SR35e from komplett.ie. The camera is great but discovered a few weeks after the purchase that the software wasn't included in the box. I got no satisfaction from contacting Komplett or sony. Basicaly i am having problems with the camera as i cannot edit the files as they are recorded in MPEG-2 format.
    I have a new high spec pc(vista) but everytime i try to move any of these files around it causes windows to crash.
    Windows movie maker doesen't recognise mpeg-2 files.
    I managed to get hold of 'Picture Motion Browser ' software which is the SW that was supposed to come with it but i doesen't recognize these my video files.
    I know i can convert them in another program and then edit them in moviemaker but i just want some basic SW that i can open my files in edit them and save.
    Would appreciate any help - have wasted so much time on this already

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Corel X2 VideoStudio

There's a 30 day no limitations free trial for you to have a go. Its very straightforward and good. Drag and drop effects with no rendering required.
    Give it a go and see how it works with mpeg2.

BTW, are you sure it aint a codec issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 katuxini

Thanks for that -but i hadn't banked on shelling out for additional software.
    As you say it probably is a codec issue, but how would i go about finding out if it is or more importantly resolve the issue?
    I can't see why this software can see old mpg files from my still camera but cannot see files (which i presume are mpg2) from my camera which i have saved on my hard drive

Can't see them, or can't play them?
    What happens if you ust try and play the files with media player?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

I'll be frank with you. Save yourself hours of grief, save yourself spending more money.

Download a program like mpegstreamclip (it's free and works on both mac and pc). Convert the video to dv or avi - a format that windows movie maker will work with.

Thanks Artvandulet
    Can play them with VLC, Mediaplayer - can open them in moviemaker but it won't play them. In Picture motion browser(sony) - even though the folders are visible it doesen't see the files
    I think you're right decob - I did try converting them with 'virtualdub' and then edit them in moviemaker - and yeah clips can be edited but i gotta be realistic .... i wouldn't be doing that on a daily basis. If i could get the PMB software working properly i could see myself getting something done

• Advertisement

You said in your first post that you didnt want to be doing conversions, thats why I didn't suggest any.
    I think this could be codecs. VLC has them built in so it plays almost anything, but these codecs won't be shared with other progs, unlike when you download them seperetly for media player etc.

Have a try of downloading the K-Lite codec pack and see if the files play with media player.

Installed K-lite but no luck. I also noticed that sony's PMB doesen't see the .wmv files that are in vistas Videos>Sample/ folder.
    I will try re-installing the program and update which is available on their website and claims to allow the software to view and edit .wmv files (I did have this update installed already!).
    The only other codecs i see installed are 'sonic codec pack' which is part of my dvd burning SW -which is working perfectly and i don't wasnt to go messin around with

Advertisement