Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 bill query

Options
  • 24-11-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi, I got 02 mobile broadband a few weeks ago and ended up running up a monster bill through exceeding my download limit by a huge amount. Basically everybody in the house was using it to browse the web on a daily basis and I was oblivious to the fact that is was all costing me. Anyway, if I don't pay the bill I was told that they will cut off my broadband and cancel the contract. My query is, that I don't want this broadband anyway as it is a total piece of sh1te, and I would rather not have to fork out €280 at xmas and all as I am a student and have f**k all money to my name anyway.
    So my question is, if I don't pay this bill, will 02 just cut me off, or will they come after me for the money??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

DeadMoney wrote: »
    or will they come after me for the money??

yep and your unborn children as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I think they're entirely within their rights to come after you for the money - and they probably will too.

The O2 service can't be all that bad, otherwise you'd never have broke past the 10GB cap and racked up €280 worth of extra charges. They will probably put this to you if you refuse to pay because the service is crap...

I suggest you divvy up the bill with those folks that decided it'd be awesome to leech a few games or something and set about paying it. If you really do want to cancel, then try speak to a CSR about paying off your charges and cancelling it at the same time - I know O2 can be a bit iffy if you're trying to cancel a contract early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Hi, I got 02 mobile broadband a few weeks ago and ended up running up a monster bill through exceeding my download limit by a huge amount. Basically everybody in the house was using it to browse the web on a daily basis and I was oblivious to the fact that is was all costing me.

You don't blitz a 10GB cap by browsing the web, it's simply not possible. Someone was downloading a lot more than web pages. You'd have had to go over by 14GB to get charged €280.

Anyway, if I don't pay the bill I was told that they will cut off my broadband and cancel the contract. My query is, that I don't want this broadband anyway as it is a total piece of sh1te, and I would rather not have to fork out €280 at xmas and all as I am a student and have f**k all money to my name anyway.
    So my question is, if I don't pay this bill, will 02 just cut me off, or will they come after me for the money??

They are perfectly entitled to seek the payment, and they will do so aggressively if you simply refuse to pay. They may also seek for you to pay out the remainder of the 12 month contract. Not knowing what the limit was, not checking the usage online (it's updated daily), and not having the money to pay what's due, is not an excuse.

You should also never allow someone else to use something that you are legally responsible for, unless you trust them. Obviously, they were not to be trusted.

You'll need to contact O2 first and make arrangements for payment. They won't simply let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Hi, I got 02 mobile broadband a few weeks ago and ended up running up a monster bill through exceeding my download limit by a huge amount. Basically everybody in the house was using it to browse the web on a daily basis and I was oblivious to the fact that is was all costing me. Anyway, if I don't pay the bill I was told that they will cut off my broadband and cancel the contract. My query is, that I don't want this broadband anyway as it is a total piece of sh1te, and I would rather not have to fork out €280 at xmas and all as I am a student and have f**k all money to my name anyway.

Thats not what you said here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055424863

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

I decided to tell people that my "room mates" were using it rather than tell people that I play online poker for a living. I tend to get a lot of negative responses from non poker players. I'm not saying I would have here but I didn't really want to mention the concept of "professional gambling" in the same thread as a bill query. I thought it may provoke a few "get a real job you degenerate" type remarks. Anyway, when I say I play poker for a living, I mean I live my student lifestyle off it and rarely make more than €500-€700 per week. Which is good for a student, I might add.
    I was just wondering if 02 would be just cancelling the contract and not seeking payment, and I agree that they are fully within their rights to seek payment. I just wanted to make sure, seeing as I only got it a few weeks ago and might have been still under some trial period. Anyway I will be paying the bill and continuing with the contract and they said that 10GB will be enough to run poker software for 1 month if you do not download anything. I'm just a student chancer trying to get away from paying my bills. Guess I'll have to pay this one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

If you make 500 to 700 a week you can afford the bill, pay up and dont let others use it as you and only you are responsible for the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Walkman wrote: »
    If you make 500 to 700 a week you can afford the bill, pay up and dont let others use it as you and only you are responsible for the bill.

Totally agree. It was just a bit of a shock to get a bill that big and I was trying to dodge it more out of principle than anything. Anyway my irresponsibility, my problem! Just wish I read the small print on the broadband offer for once.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Everything you say is contradictory. I don't believe a word of what you're saying.
    Even the bit "live my student lifestyle off it and rarely make more than €500-€700 per week." is complete rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

As long as you pay your taxes, I doubt many will care about your profession/lifestyle.

I know of one person who owed €32 (overage) and they just cut him off and haven't chased for the remainder. Others I know of have been chased for it by o2, by debt collectors, and have had direct debits re-instated. It probably depends on the amount owed.

Fact remains, though, that you used it, and it looks like you used it a good bit (negatively affecting other users in your area/sector), you can affort it .. so pay up and put it down to experience! Ring o2 and see can you get a few quid off!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cgarvey wrote: »
    As long as you pay your taxes, I doubt many will care about your profession/lifestyle.

I know of one person who owed €32 (overage) and they just cut him off and haven't chased for the remainder. Others I know of have been chased for it by o2, by debt collectors, and have had direct debits re-instated. It probably depends on the amount owed.

Fact remains, though, that you used it, and it looks like you used it a good bit (negatively affecting other users in your area/sector), you can affort it .. so pay up and put it down to experience! Ring o2 and see can you get a few quid off!

This of course should not be possible!!! What an appalling scheme the direct debit system is!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

were you hoping that o2 would not act on their 10gb cap? they usually ignore anything up to 13-14gb so you must have been using it all day everyday to rack up those charges! the gamble has not paid off for you this time and you should pay what you owe!

Advertisement