Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner Legal Bike wanted.

• 24-11-2008 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I`m 26, a beginner biker and have an A licence. I`m looking for advice and info on what type of bike & gear and where to get. I`m on a strict budget as most people are. I`ve had one 2hr lesson and want to buy a bike and learn on it rather than pay extra by renting. Will it be difficult to fild a second hand bike with a restriction to 25kw. If anyone has any good advice to steer me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What's your strict budget?

Lots of learner legal bikes crop up on www.biker.ie and www.donedeal.ie. For some reason, 125cc learner bikes seem a lot cheaper than 250cc ones, or maybe there are more available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 robkin82

Budget is around €5000 for everything. That includes bike, gear and insurance. I could wait until the summer but i`d like to be up and around by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

From my brief research, I'd say you'll easily get on the road for that.

Check out this search on donedeal for an idea what you can get:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/find/motorbikes/all/Ireland/learner

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Go above 125cc, because if you do your test on it, youll only get an A1 full licence.

Allow €250 - €500 at least for your gear, and dont necessarily go for the cheapest option. Price insurance for any bike before you buy it. Bikes can be restricted after you purchase, so its worth bearing in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

This question is asked weekly on boards, did you use the search? There is plenty of info already here. Check the sticky on the forum.

• Advertisement

I heard that insurance companies wont acknowledge restricted bikes unless they are factory restricted. Is this true?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

robkin82 wrote: »
    I heard that insurance companies wont acknowledge restricted bikes unless they are factory restricted. Is this true?
    The last time I checked, yes, that was the case. You will be required to have the restriction, and they accept it as legal, but you will only be allowed a lower grouping and therefore a cheaper quote, on factory restricted machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Just one bit of advice, don't go too small to start with. If you do you will only get greedy for cc's later. It won't be long before the 125 bores you to death and you want a bigger yoke.

I had a restricted Fazer 600, not factory restricted though. Still got the reduced premium. This was back in 2004/2005. Was I uninsured? Doh.

Thanks for the info and advice, i`m going to go brousing on Wed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

robkin82 wrote: »
    Budget is around €5000 for everything. That includes bike, gear and insurance. I could wait until the summer but i`d like to be up and around by then.
    5K is nearly overkill. Lots of options out there + more people buy bikes in the summer as opposed to the depts of winter. You should be able to pick up something nice relatively cheap. I went over my budget for a particular bike I wanted. Could have bought cheaper but decided to treat myself. Still got out under 3800 for the bike, fully comp insurance and full set of gear including boots / jacket / trousers / helmet / locks / gloves / luggage.

Donedeal will give you a good idea of asking prices for the various bikes / year. Price up how much it is to buy privately and then price up how much it is to buy from a shop with a warranty and gear included. If the shop is working out cheaper or even close to the price of buying privately + price of gear to buy separately then go with the shop. Don't be afraid to haggle with the shop and see what you can get included with the bike. Research bike gear too (helmets / jackets etc) to make sure your not getting the most basic gear he has in the shop. They will expect you to look for something so will usually have their bottom line worked out before you even ask. Don't ask and he wont make a better offer though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

would recommend a honda bros 400,apart from its name its a decent drive and bullet proof..just give it a service every now and then.
    just make sure it hasnt been couried,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I bought a 2000 F650ST in mint condition, only 13K.. Will take some lessons over the coming weeks when I get a chance..

Also it came restricted..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

Go for a 250 or Honda Bros. You want something u can do ur test on and get a full A licence

Advertisement