Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Williams named IRB Player of the Year 2008.

• 24-11-2008 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭

http://planet-rugby.com/Story/0,18259,3551_4541641,00.html

"He broke Gareth Thomas' try-scoring record in the title-clinching victory over France and has scored 43 tries in 60 Tests for his country - 14 of them in his last 13 Tests - after making his début against Italy in 2000 at the age of 21. "

Congratulations to Shane Williams, a phenomenal player. Has also bucked the trend for wingers where he has gotten better and better with age. He has a joy to watch over the past 2 years. Commiserations to the other nominations Wales captain Ryan Jones, New Zealand fly-half Dan Carter, Scotland captain Mike Blair and Italy skipper Sergio Parisse. While I would have loved Parisse to get it, well deserved and it would have been great for Italy there can be certainly no arguing Williams was just as deserving.

Also nice to have the award in the NH.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Thread title made me miss it when I looked for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Sangre wrote: »
    While I would have loved Parisse to get it, well deserved and it would have been great for Italy there can be certainly no arguing Williams was just as deserving
    Don't forget Argentina, where Parisse actually comes from.
    Sangre wrote: »
    Also nice to have the award in the NH.
    Because he's from a particular half of the globe, its "nice"???
    He was nowhere near the best player or players this season. A 'political' decision that will be forgotten next week anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

He was nowhere near the best player or players this season. A 'political' decision that will be forgotten next week anyway.

So in your infinite rugby knowledge would give it to who???...Carter has played well below par as has richie... so who??........ do tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yes but it would be a huge boost for Italian rugby morale. As happened when they had a especially good 6N in 2007. Their supporters are just waiting for a reason they get behind them.

Absolutely. I think its great that the IRB Player of the Year plays in the NH, in the 6N, the heineken cup and in the magners league.

Hardly the easiest award to pick, especially as the roles of different players are so varied. I think he's a phenomenal player, especially in the last 2 years. He really showed his stuff in the SH when Wales played SA away. If he played with a team that gave him as much space as NZ does he'd score tries for fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Parisse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

twinytwo wrote: »
    So in your infinite rugby knowledge would give it to who???...Carter has played well below par as has richie... so who??........ do tell
    Don't be such a sarky sod.
    Its obviously my opinion. I never claimed it was de facto or whatever.

Martyn Williams was the best player for Wales last season. McCaw had a great season as openside and skipper for the All Blacks (despite what another poster in the thread opines).

Advertisement