Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Did i do the right thing.

Options
  • 24-11-2008 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I had a small accident yesterday. Nothing sersious, thank god. I'm just glad there was nobody injured. It could have been so much worse. I cancelled my test (was due next week). I was putting myself under so much pressure to get my full license and i'm clearly not ready for the test.

Did i do the right thing cancelling the test. I was told by my sister to go for it because i've got nothing to lose. But the way i see it is that i could pay so much money this week in lessons, and i probably won't pass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the accident but thankfully doesnt sound too serious which is good. The main point I would say is to learn from the experience - understand why it happened and figure out what you should do differently the next time to avoid an accident!

I think cancelling the test, if it is next week, is probably a wise move as you will be a little more nervous in the car for the next few times. However, and this is really important - get back to driving asap, make sure you have someone qualified with you and take it slow but you must start to drive again soon - dont put it off for a week, or a month etc. I've seen a few people who have minor accidents (hit a gate pillar or whatever) and are put off driving for life because they keep saying I'll start again next week and so on, next week becomes next month becomes next year! Dont let that happen to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

I would only reschedule the test date, not cancel it though if you have already cancelled twice before.

Anyone can have an accident and anyone can make a mistake, absent mindedness tiredness etc can all lead to accidents.

I would still proceed with the lessons. They will normally do a pre test with you also and let you see where you have to focus on.

Driving is about safety competence and confidence but even the best drivers in the world kack themselves before the test...

Hope this helps and ps Good luck with the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DarWhel

Well accidents happen to even the most experienced driver so don't feel you aren't ready!!

You should rescheduele asap so if you have problems with certain areas you will be able to fix them for next time.

=)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I would have been inclined to say that you should have gone ahead with it as you've nothing to lose (as you have forfeited the fee anyway).

Regardless of whether you would have passed or not, it would have been an invaluable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would have been inclined to say that you should have gone ahead with it as you've nothing to lose (as you have forfeited the fee anyway).

Regardless of whether you would have passed or not, it would have been an invaluable experience.

Yes, i'd tend to agree, your fee was gone either way. If anything you should have gone for it ofr the experience. And you may have passed anyway.
    But there's no point worrying about it now. Decission made. Reapply, get some lessons and try again. Dont let this deter you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Knix

Aw, I am so sorry to hear about the accident, thank goodness you or no-one else was hurt.
    I think you are the only person who can judge whether it was the right thing to do for you or not. Clearly you do not feel comfortable enough to go through with the test next week and if you are overly nervous it may make for a very bad experience.
    I do think you should follow the majority's advice here though and get back in to the driving seat asap and keep going, the longer you leave it the less you are going to want to get back driving.
    Anybody can get in an accident, just try and learn from the experience and move on from it.
    Best of luck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

Thanks for the replies and help. I know where i went wrong and i've learned a hard a valuable lesson. I'm just so glad that there was nobody injured. That is the main thing. I'll reapply for the test in the new year and continue with lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

I did some damage to my car. I'll be claiming it of the road for now. Just wondering would my instructor take me for more lessons (in his car) considering i've trashed my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 RedzDrivingScho

Sorry to hear about the accident.......

Unfortunately, like all of life lessons the ones we learn the hard way teach us the most......try not to be put off going forward and continue learning....

It would be a very unsympathetic driving instructor that would turn you down....the car will have dual controls and you'll be in a safer environment....I wouldn't be afraid to tell your instructor what had happened.....they are there to teach you about driving and accident prevention is a part of driving......

Best of luck with the rest of your driving

Advertisement