Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next with Belarus?

Options
  • 24-11-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

EU accepted some of the positive changes in Belarus last month and canceled travel restrictions for Belorussian officials and president Lukashenko for 6 months.

In return Belorussian government allowed two days ago 2 independent newspapers to be printed and distributed in Belarus. Before they printed abroad and distributed illegally.

What should we do next?

A) Open for Belarus?
    However if EU will open for Belarus too much, we will have to accept Lukashenko as president (he's not willing to quit).

B) Leave it as it is today and give maximum support for oppositionists?
    However that could take Belarus closer to Russia.

Or maybe some "C" option?

It's the right time to make that important decision.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Isn't it a requirement for membership of the EU that a country has a functioning democracy in place? If as you said, we'd have to accept that Lukashenko would remain president because he refuses to step down, it says a lot about the standard of Belarusin democracy.

The EU may have accepted that some positive changes have taken place in Belarus, but I can't see them offering membership to a country that's essentially still a dictatorship. Then again, I'm not too up-to-speed with EU-Belarus relations, but that's my somewhat uninformed opinion anyway.

Advertisement