Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connect a windows share in Fedora 9?

• 24-11-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

Finally got everything running properly, the only thing left is our share server. We have all our shares on 192.168.x.x but when I go to Places > Connect to Server > select Windows Share and put the IP in the server box it gives the error:

Can't display location "smb://192.168.x.x/"
    No application is registered as handling this file.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Martin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You need to install the samba client. Not sure in Fedora but it will be something like "yum install samba-client"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

have samba, haven't a clue what it does, how to open it, etc etc etc.

Every post on the net says get samba, none explain what to do with it lol!

SMB is a network protocol. Windows uses it. Linux doesn't use it by default. You don't actually need to do anything with it - it just enables you to browse samba shares.

I assume that yum has a graphical interface for installing applications like synaptic does - if so use that and search for samba - you'll just need the client.

So once samba is installed I should be able to use the steps in my original post to add the drive?

Same error is popping up...

• Advertisement

Have you checked that the share is available to all users? It could be security on the Windows box. Alternatively - rather than trying to manually enter the IP try browsing the network, find the machine and see what shares are available.

Theres no option to browse, just a server box that the ip goes into. The share drive is available to everyone, just checked it there.

thx btw.

There should be a way to just browse the network - I've never used Fedora so I'm not familiar with the interface to point you in the right direction :(

Ah sure not to worry, I'll figure something out or just fcuk the laptop out the window... Which ever comes first! :P

Don't know if I'll get time tonight but I've been planning on installing Fedora in a VM anyway. If I get a chance I'll do it and have a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement