Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dining in Smithfield

Options
  • 24-11-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Anyone know of a nice restaurant in Smithfield where I can bring my girlfriend before ice skating? Or ever a nice cafe where we could warm up with a coffee etc? Its ages since I've been down there. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

You will get more help with this in the Dublin forum man, just clicky the linky below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=474

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Moved, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 reddy_873

O right. Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

reddy_873 wrote: »
    O right. Thanks lads.

About a five minute walk away, there's Plan B, a small Italian off Manor Street.

There's nothing really on Smithfield Square itself.

Just like to say I didn't start this thread again. Dunno where that came from. It wasn't me and if it was it was a complete accident and I've no idea how I did it - so apologies.

Plan B sounds nice. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just like to say I didn't start this thread again. Dunno where that came from. It wasn't me
    You posted it on the Food & drink Forum. A Moderator moved it here to the Dublin City Forum as it was more suitable. ;)

churchview wrote: »
    There's nothing really on Smithfield Square itself.
    .........apart from The Market Cafe! :pac:

SmithfieldMarketCafe.jpg

.........apart from The Market Cafe! :pac:

SmithfieldMarketCafe.jpg

...which unfortunately seems to be closed down. Best greasy spoon breakfast by far. Probably doesn't suit the new gentrified image of the area :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

for a more substantial meal Seven is right beside Plan b and is very nice too.

Thanks everyone,

Went to Plan B in the end - I had lasagne - delicious, the misses had a pesto dish - nice but a bit strong. Still was nice and a good place for a relaxed date. Went skating afterwards - I was pretty nervous that the place'd be just full of scumbags but it was great fun - we'd a good laugh together.

Thanks for the reccomendations - really about time a couple of restaurants or even cafes opened up here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Thanks everyone,

Went to Plan B in the end - I had lasagne - delicious, the misses had a pesto dish - nice but a bit strong. Still was nice and a good place for a relaxed date. Went skating afterwards - I was pretty nervous that the place'd be just full of scumbags but it was great fun - we'd a good laugh together.

Thanks for the reccomendations - really about time a couple of restaurants or even cafes opened up here.
    There are a few down Duck lane. A little hit and miss imo. Not worth trecking to but welcoming enough for the hungry when up that end of town.
    The skating is worth mentioning. I've taken my daughter over the last few years and have enjoyed it thoroughly. Like you I too was apprehensive at what the crowd would be like but alas it was a mis-placed fear. Well run and well attended every time I've been.

Glad to hear you liked it. The Lasagne is nice, but it's one of my gripes about the place. For the last at least a half dozen times we've been there, it's been a "Special". Hardly very special if it's on every night!

Agree with you about Smithfield, but can't see things changing soon. The Thomas Reid group is now in examinership, with a unit in the Smithfield Market development. Main backer of Thomas Reid's is the Kelly family and they are the main developer of Smithfield Market, and also the main backers of Fresh (in Smithfield Market), Charter Medical (in Smithfield Market) and have some connection to the Lighthouse Cinema (probably just that they're the freeholder). So in all the new development, it seems that Paddy Powers is the only business that's been attracted. New cafes, bars, restaurants are badly needed to give the whole area a boost.

Maybe Plan B would move down the road a bit to Smithfield?

churchview wrote: »
    The Lasagne is nice, but it's one of my gripes about the place. For the last at least a half dozen times we've been there, it's been a "Special".
    ........and the "special" is usually made with the stuff that's just about to go off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I like java bay just up the road past seven on the left opposite kavanagh's pub. Tis a nice cafe but a bit small. I have heard mixed reviews about seven itself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Woden wrote: »
    I like java bay just up the road past seven on the left opposite kavanagh's pub. Tis a nice cafe but a bit small. I have heard mixed reviews about seven itself.
    Seven is woeful. God awful. Expensively priced, dismissive staff and god awful food made with the worst possible ingredients. It is an abortion that should be bucketed. Java Bay on the other hand is a quality little shop. I know a few of the artists that put their paintings up for sale and have only the highest things to say about their dealings with management. A place worth supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Smithfield is close enough walk to Jade, just off Capel St. (Little Mary Street,
    next to the Army Surplus store)

Doesn't look much - but by god it's the best damn chinese in Dublin. Try the chef's specials, you won't be disappointed. And it's cheap!

Advertisement