Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Prescriptions Up North

Options
  • 24-11-2008 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My wife has a medical prescription from her GP in Limerick. The rrp of this medication is 400% the UK RRP. Is it possible to get this prescription filled in the 6 counties as we will be travelling soon for xmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Hi guys,

My wife has a medical prescription from her GP in Limerick. The rrp of this medication is 400% the UK RRP. Is it possible to get this prescription filled in the 6 counties as we will be travelling soon for xmas?

As a private prescription yes, as long as the Limerick GP is registered in the north. You won't get it at NHS rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

andrewh5 wrote: »
    As a private prescription yes, as long as the Limerick GP is registered in the north. You won't get it at NHS rates.

NHS rate = £5 flat fee for anything you're prescribed. Obviously the OP can't do this as he's not a British citizen/taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

eth0_ wrote: »
    NHS rate = £5 flat fee for anything you're prescribed. Obviously the OP can't do this as he's not a British citizen/taxpayer.

If you have a UK National Insurance number would it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't think so, when I moved to Edinburgh I had to register with the NHS to get an NHS patient number (I already had an NI number as I grew up in the UK).

Even if you had an NI number, the fact you had a southern prescription would cause alarm bells for the pharmacist, they are really cracking down on NHS fraud lately.

Advertisement