Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re rent and bills

Options
  • 24-11-2008 5:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

I have a quick question re billls and would appreciate a few opinions on this.

I posted a few weeks ago about how I had to ask my previous housemate to leave. Shes gone and now a nice/sane/normal girl has taken the room and she is moving in in January 1st (ish).

Usually what happens in the house is that we all contribute to the bills a set ammount each month and for her room its €70. She has paid a deposit and that great but do I charge her for December bills seeing as she has taken the room but not moved in. Im not looking for a yes answer here, Im looking for what people think is fair. She has taken the room so its only fair she pays the bills too as the services are still all there ...or...no, shes not there so why should she.

Im leaning thowards yes she should as she has taken the room and Im already kinda holding it out for a month as she starts paying rent in Jan. But two mins later I think thats fierce mean and penny grubbing of me

I want to be complety fair here as she seems like a really nice person and Im happy that shes moving in and think maybe feck it, leave it for peaces sake.

What would Boards do?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I wouldn't charge her a bean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 summerbaby

I wouldn't charge her, it was your decision to hold the room for her and she won't be using any light or extra ESB/Utilities use so to be fair you shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

Definitely not.

Its only fair that she starts paying for the time she's living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

No charge she hasn't used any of these services so she shouldn't pay for them.....and besides you want to start off life with your new housemate on a good note not with her thinking your a tight fisted fecker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Cool. Thanks for the quick replies.

Yah - thought it was tight fisted alright but I can see the other side of the point as well. And Id hate for things to be in a bad light before she even moved in.

A resounding no it is then!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement