Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange rate rip-off - Sprucefield Sainsburys

Options
  • 24-11-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

A word of caution for anyone shopping in Sainsburys in Sprucefield. Pay in Euros!

Was up there on Saturday and they were offering 85.2p to €1 but as we didn't have enough Euros on us, I withdrew £250 from the ATM.

Was a bit pi88ed off when I arrived to home to find that the ATM only gave me an exchange rate of 81.3p to €1 hence losing £10 in the process. Still cheap shopping though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

That's your bank that sets the rate, not their ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Ste.phen wrote: »
    That's your bank that sets the rate, not their ATM

It wasn't a rant at Sainsburys Ste.phen, more a warning to prospective shoppers. :)

I knew that myself and should have made it more clear in my post.

Ah, sorry, thought you were implying that Sainsbury's were setting the ATM rate

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Ah, sorry, thought you were implying that Sainsbury's were setting the ATM rate

No, I rang my Mum who works for AIB (who I bank with) and gave out to her about it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you have money in your C/C account then AFAIK you are charge no fees to take it out of ATMs abroad. Thats what I always do. I think the likes of visa might give better rates than banks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

dcr22B wrote: »
    A word of caution for anyone shopping in Sainsburys in Sprucefield. QUOTE]

In fairness .. this is not new information. This advice can be found on may threads on this messageboard.

If paying using your CC, don't pay in Euros. The rate your CC provider will apply will, in general, be in your favour over the rate the retailer uses.

There's no fees, but the rate doesn't tend to be all that fantastic

TarfHead wrote: »
    dcr22B wrote: »
    A word of caution for anyone shopping in Sainsburys in Sprucefield. QUOTE]

In fairness .. this is not new information. This advice can be found on may threads on this messageboard.

Apologies if it has been pointed out before, I thought about doing a search but haven't got the patience to go trawling through loads of threads.

Advertisement