Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice needed: Court Date for speeding

Options
  • 24-11-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hiya,
    This may sound stupid but have no history of the courts system
    I got a speeding fine when I was between houses and the fine got left in a pile of post. Eventually came accross it again and tried to pay the fine but was 1 week overdue the limit.
    I have a court hearing coming up soon.
    Do I need to hire a solicitor or whats the process.
    It might sound stupid but am trying to get through this embarrasment as cheap as possible...
    Thanks for any advice of what to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

No solicitor or barrister required.

Just turn up and patiently wait to be called. You can ask the court clerk where on the list your name is and depending on how low on the list you are you could be there all day.

You will be called before the judge with all the losers of society wathcing and listening to you and the Garda will be called also to make reference to the reason of the court appearance. The Sup is usually there also on public court dates.

The judge will ask you why you didnt pay it in the first place(most likely).

Be well dressed, neat hair, polite and well spoken and explain you had every intention of paying it and even tried but you were told it was too late and you would have to plead your case in court.

You should hopefully just get your fine and a slap on the wrist for letting it go.

I was in court 2 years ago for an offence and this is what happened.

You "could" hire a solicitor whom is a day solicitor. They basically live in the court. You pay them around €150 and they plead your case whilst you go to work and worry all day about the result.

Just go yourself. Be a man or woman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Buckiefc

Thanks for the advise.
    Will give it a go turning up in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It is a detterent from committing an offence again if anything.

Advertisement