Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Matchday 5

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

This is almost as bad as Marseille last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mike65 wrote: »
    Masch is a disgrace tonight as is everyone else in red pretty much.

Mike
    This is almost as bad as Marseille last year

A win is a win is a win imo. RTE2 panel should be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bleugh

Mike

Fckin hell that Barca match was fun to watch! A glut of goals there in quick succession, great save by Valdes too! makes up for that stinker United and Villareal produced last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Have to say although the performance was poor a win is a win and passage to the next round in secured a match early. That Jim Beglin along with Ray " I know it all Houghton in the studio come across as bitter cnuts that resent everything that LFC does. Its the same ****e each match from that pair who seem to have a chip on their shoulders when it comes to being fair. Not much credit was due tonight but they would be have pressed to give it even if it was.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Dunphy is just making up transfer figures! he is beyond belief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Dunphy is just making up transfer figures! he is beyond belief
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Fckin hell that Barca match was fun to watch! A glut of goals there in quick succession, great save by Valdes too! makes up for that stinker United and Villareal produced last night.

Well I'll hang on for that to get the images of the Liverpool match out of my eyes. I wish RTE would show some of the top European teams in this contest. We get enough EPL coverage here already. Fair enough the English channels should follow the English teams but there's no reason other than a ratings quest for RTE to follow them. Misuse of TV-licence money IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The studio panel discussion isn't actually live, it was recorded about two years ago, they just play the same clip over and over each CL match day that Liverpool play. Notice how you NEVER actually see any footage of the match that has just been played.. it's a sure sign.

• Advertisement

Giles:"if Liverpool were a good side they should have been winning the champions League the next season as well."

High standards indeed.

oobydooby wrote: »
    Well I'll hang on for that to get the images of the Liverpool match out of my eyes. I wish RTE would show some of the top European teams in this contest. We get enough EPL coverage here already. Fair enough the English channels should follow the English teams but there's no reason other than a ratings quest for RTE to follow them. Misuse of TV-licence money IMO.

Actually I would have thought a bigger mis-use of license fee money would be to blow a few million on Champions League rights only to lose 95%+ of your audience to ITV or Sky by showing a match that hardly anybody in the country is interested in at the same time as one of the English premier league teams are being shown by other channels available here...

Get real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Giles "when a team wins the european cup Peter your looking for them to build on it and win more european cups or at least get close to winning it again liverpool since they won it have never been close or even look like being close"

Peter "emmm well they did get to a another final"

Giles "ahhhhh yeah huh i mean premierships and ehhh stuffff!"

Opr

Giles: I haven't seen Barcelona, but I think they are the big threat to premiership sides.

Haha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Carragher, Alonso & Kuyt were very good but for the most part, everyone else was well below par. I find it hard to believe that Benayoun is above Babel in the pecking order...seems crazy to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

spockety wrote: »
    Giles: I haven't seen Barcelona, but I think they are the big threat to premiership sides.

He would be right. 58 goals this season all ready, remarkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in fairness with Babels recent pants performances & yapping in the press (mainly the second) he should be thankful he is in the squad at all.

He's right.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    in fairness with Babels recent pants performances & yapping in the press (mainly the second) he should be thankful he is in the squad at all.

Babel was our best player at Spurs, played great against Marseille away, Chelsea away, scored the winner against United and has been much less wasteful generally than last season.
    I'm hoping, like last season, that he gets more chances as the season goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Giles:"if Liverpool were a good side they should have been winning the champions League the next season as well."

High standards indeed.

Yeah, just like utd did.

He's right.

By chance.

• Advertisement

By chance.

LOL true dat!

Yeah, just like utd did.

Yawn. Nobody, i repeat, NOBODY has retained it since Milan. So its not just United, its Red Star, Milan (again on a few occasions), Ajax, Juventus, Dortmund, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Porto, Barcelona as well.

Why did you specifically single out United again?

Yawn. Nobody, i repeat, NOBODY has retained it since Milan. So its not just United, its Red Star, Milan (again on a few occasions), Ajax, Juventus, Dortmund, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Porto, Barcelona as well.

Why did you specifically single out United again?

Probably because that's what the RTE panel do when talking about Liverpool.

"Would Sir Alex sign Dirk Kuyt? *howls of laughter* NO CHANCE.. HAHAHAHAHAHA"

Probably because that's what the RTE panel do when talking about Liverpool.

"Would Sir Alex sign Dirk Kuyt? *howls of laughter* NO CHANCE.. HAHAHAHAHAHA"

well, he wouldn't.

Des wrote: »
    well, he wouldn't.

I never said he would?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Actually I would have thought a bigger mis-use of license fee money would be to blow a few million on Champions League rights only to lose 95%+ of your audience to ITV or Sky by showing a match that hardly anybody in the country is interested in at the same time as one of the English premier league teams are being shown by other channels available here...

Fair point. I'm obviously not arguing that it would make commercial sense, it would just satisfy my interest. Also, if these matches are already being broadcast on terrestrial TV then why should RTE spend (waste IMHO) licence revenue providing such a service to the Irish public? I know TV3's coverage was pretty dire but I don't see why it's necessary for the national broadcaster to cover this event, especially if they just ape what's already available to viewers.

Sporting's Free Kick was class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What is it with the lads and Dirk bashing? Seems regardless how badly the rest of the team plays, they set aside a few special moments to laugh at Dirk. I just dont get it...they awknowledge his heart, workrate etc but almost talk about it as a bad or laughable thing, like "ah poor dirk, he tries very hard" and ignore that he has a 1 in 3 goals ratio from the wing, chips in with assists and that he's been exceptionally consistent this year.

Why dont they just go on about the players who actually played badly (and god knows there were enough of them!) rather then yet again go on about one of the few who actually did have an alright game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Player who took it was class too.
    What I'd give to have Veloso at Arsenal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

They didn't show the fact that the foul given was ridiculous, it barely hit Marquez's collarbone and the ref gave a hand ball, idiot.

Messi, 13 goals and 9 assists so far this season in 16 appearances. 5 goals and 3 assists in 5 CL appearances. Sher he's only good at dribbling though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah it was a very soft one alright.

oobydooby wrote: »
    Fair point. I'm obviously not arguing that it would make commercial sense, it would just satisfy my interest. Also, if these matches are already being broadcast on terrestrial TV then why should RTE spend (waste IMHO) licence revenue providing such a service to the Irish public? I know TV3's coverage was pretty dire but I don't see why it's necessary for the national broadcaster to cover this event, especially if they just ape what's already available to viewers.

You know that about 40% of the country only have RTE/TV3/TG4.. right?

Advertisement