Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timber v's Alu v's PVC windows

• 24-11-2008 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭

I want to put new windows into the house & am wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of the different types are. I want them to look modern but otherwise I'm only concerned with the colour and quality...

Also, I have heard that the government were going to offer grants to help people to meet the new energy ratings. Is there any info on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This thread might help.

Another link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks Muff. I'm not particularly interested in the Aluclad stuff. More interested to know if aluminium or pvc have better wear qualities, thermal values, uv reistence etc...

Am 80% sure I don't want Timber, even though the paint finish is guarunteed for up to 10 years these days... I want them to be maintenance free. I have noticed some nice cream coloured PVCs recently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

I was in the same situation as you trying to decide between pvc and timber,
    We went with pvc in the end, mainly due to the amount of windows in the house meant that maintaining them might be a pain in the you know what!
    You can get a woodgrain pvc effect that give the look of a timber window and as you said there are some lovely colours of pvc windows now available

Advertisement