Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

American radio/cd player fit in irish Kia Sportage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

It'll fit - just won't work properly.
    US uses odd frequencies - Ireland even.

You'll get crap reception, if any at all, unless you get a phase shifter or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

cancan wrote: »

You'll get crap reception, if any at all, unless you get a phase shifter or something...

Is that expensive? I thought it would just be a matter of taking one out and putting another one in.
    I cant find any irish salvage yards with details of stock that they have...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no reason the FM section will not work (nearly) perfectly. We use a different pre-emphasis but this should have no real impact.

The radio will still be tuneable to our frequency allocations which, by the way, aren't all even (105.5 for TodayFM in Louth, for instance).

The AM section may have a stepped stuck 10kHz allocation (we use 9kHz) and no Longwave.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

As above, frequencies will bet 100.1, 100.3 etc. No good for ireland. Try calling a few breakers or checking the buy and sell. Or ebay.co.uk maybe.

A manufacturer radio, would it have a code needed to unlock? Get a regular stereo from aldi or lidl or something, and be sure to take the faceplate with you, or at least put it in the glovebox.

MarkR wrote: »
    As above, frequencies will bet 100.1, 100.3 etc. No good for ireland.

As above, the radio will almost certainly be tuneable to ANY frequency. 100.3 which you give as an example is allocated to Nova100, a yet-to-launch classic rock service in Dublin...

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    As above, frequencies will bet 100.1, 100.3 etc. No good for ireland. Try calling a few breakers or checking the buy and sell. Or ebay.co.uk maybe.

A manufacturer radio, would it have a code needed to unlock? Get a regular stereo from aldi or lidl or something, and be sure to take the faceplate with you, or at least put it in the glovebox.

I am using an Aldi radio now but I just wanted one like the new Kia's have where you dont need to take anything out with you.. My expensive Pioneer Stereo/Sat Nav was stolen and the glove box ripped out to get at the faceplate!!

Has anyone tried this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I had a US radio in one of my old cars and could only tune in 3 or 4 of the main stations.

Stekelly wrote: »
    I had a US radio in one of my old cars and could only tune in 3 or 4 of the main stations.

How old? Anything with a traditional tuner may have pegging on it, but anything modern will have a 'digital' tuner which doesn't care, as long as it has it in-band. The US uses 87.8->108.0, we use 87.7->107.9

A Japanese radio is another proposition entirely, you'll usually get RTE1 and 2FM without a band shifter. Or a replacement radio...

MYOB wrote: »
    How old?

It was a Sony Bluetooth radio bought about 18 months ago,

Stekelly wrote: »
    It was a Sony Bluetooth radio bought about 18 months ago,

:eek:

Sounds like bad software, or being Sony, intentional. I've US-market FM receivers here and they all work fine.

• Advertisement

any additional ideas this morning lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Source a used one from somewhere in the EU?

Stephen wrote: »
    Source a used one from somewhere in the EU?

easier said than done stephen..

any ideas where? ive been on the web for ages looking but all i could find was american sites...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

MYOB wrote: »
    How old? Anything with a traditional tuner may have pegging on it, but anything modern will have a 'digital' tuner which doesn't care, as long as it has it in-band. The US uses 87.8->108.0, we use 87.7->107.9

A Japanese radio is another proposition entirely, you'll usually get RTE1 and 2FM without a band shifter. Or a replacement radio...

Have you tried this.
    I know of 3 different people who tried this and failed.
    All recent.

1500 quid for a kia radio - Yet again, irish dealers are robbing c.....s
    Just get a single din convertor, and put in any old junk.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KIA-SPORTAGE-CD-RADIO-FASCIA-SURROUND-TRIM-WIRING-KIT_W0QQitemZ270304376098QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_FasciaPlates_SM?hash=item270304376098&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

1500 quid for a kia radio - Yet again, irish dealers are robbing c.....s

If it's Irish dealers that are the problem, why not go to a UK one?

Advertisement