Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Curtain width,have I enough

• 24-11-2008 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭

Spotted lovely curtain's in next,
    not sure they are wide enough though.

Each curtain is 168cm/66" wide

My window is 235cm/92.5" wide

They are an eyelet topped curtain.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They sound a little bit narrow. You don't want them to look too 'flat' when they're up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

2.5 times the width of the window would be the minimum really. Buy two pairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

They are €320 so 2 pair's work's out v expensive.

Might order them and see how they look,
    shop assistant told me I could open the package
    and try them,if they don't fit Ill get a refund.

I love them,mmmm

suppose it would be very drastic to
    change the window:D

What if I got them and never
    closed them:D

So I don't get my hopes up again
    what size curtain do I need for this window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

sueme wrote: »
    2.5 times the width of the window would be the minimum really. Buy two pairs?

I would say 2.5 times would be more the maximum. What you have is just under 1.5 times, so I would hang them and see - you might get away with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Mrs. crosstownk makes all the curtains for our house. Each side is twice the width of the window. This leaves enough 'gathered' when the curtains are closed. And I must say it they all look fabulous.

Based on that, I reckon the curtains you intend to buy are not wide enough (less than 1.5 times the width). The eyelet type will require a certain amount of gathering as a minimum. But if the shop are willing to take them back then you've nothing to loose really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

them eyelet curtains wont look great up, that is if they even cover it. while with eyelets you don't need as much material as one would use with pencil pleats or french pleats it'd be adviseable to go with about a 90'' fellas for your window, as you need more material for beside the window as your pole is most likely at least a foot extra width.

it's probably not worth wasting your time with the 66" curtains as eyelets look crap when they're pure stretched

Thank's guy's

The curtain's will be here tomorrow.

Noby I hope your right,I will be
    curtainless for christmas if they don't fit:(

They are only available in 66" width,
    Do any shop's sell 90" ready made curtains.

The think I liked most about them was the
    way they tied back,bottom inside corner
    hung from clip on wall.
    Can't post picture's,not techno savy.

You could possibly add another pair of curtains to them to flesh them out. If you could get a plain pair of "matching" curtains and added them on the outside of each curtain, then the tie back will still work. Probably worth getting someone handy with a sewing machine to join them. If you can get the material/colour the same, it might work.

Then again you might be perfectly happy with them just as they are! You can buy ready made at 90", its a fairly regular size.

hickeys home focus and harry corrys would have wider curtains

We're not confident here, are we Jizzlord? :p

/sucks teeth and shakes head...

• Advertisement

you'd have to have a very good eye to get two pairs that'd complement each other i've seen pics and houses where it's been done well and others that looked like someone was being a complete cheapskate.
    with ready mades you'd have to take pattern matching into account were you to stick up 2 pairs of the same fella.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've bought 90" eyelet curtains in Harry Corry, and seen them in Hickey's. They're a lot cheaper too ;)

HARRY CORRY

HICKEY'S

Curtain's came,
    my problem has been solved,

They are horrible,
    not at all like the picture,
    instead of a rich gold/cream
    they are dull brass/grey.

So im returning them and will
    look around for 90"*90" to suit.

I went into a shop to price curtain pole's
    today,saw a really nice one,
    asked for a price for a 9-10ft length
    €340:eek:
    Left shop without it!
    So am back to square 1,thanks for the help.

Advertisement