Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread III : Off Topic-er

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've had the laziest two weeks off and it's all about to end. Spent every second day chillin on the beach, body boarding and boozin.

Back to the grindstone tomorrow means back to the gym with preseason training starting next weekend. Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Good drinking session there that started around half ten last night in the middle of the Cardinals/Falcons game and just finished up there as I couldn't be bothered watching the rest of the Vikings/Eagles game.

Falcons/Cardinals
    Colts/Chargers
    Villa/Gillingham
    Man Utd/Southampton
    Taylor/Barney
    Ravens/Dolphins
    And half the Vikings/Eagles game

Good 24 hours of sport :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Frisbee wrote: »
    Good drinking session there that started around half ten last night in the middle of the Cardinals/Falcons game and just finished up there as I couldn't be bothered watching the rest of the Vikings/Eagles game.

Falcons/Cardinals
    Colts/Chargers
    Villa/Gillingham
    Man Utd/Southampton
    Taylor/Barney
    Ravens/Dolphins
    And half the Vikings/Eagles game

Good 24 hours of sport :D

What was the score in the falcons game?

ajeffares wrote: »
    What was the score in the falcons game?

Cardinals 30 - 24 Falcons :eek:

Cardinals 30 - 24 Falcons :eek:

Really? Damn. Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

ajeffares wrote: »
    Really? Damn. Why?

Edgerrin James for the Cardinals. All about him.

They basically completely stopped the Falcons rushing game

They basically completely stopped the Falcons rushing game

Falcons aren't half the team they used be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Morning folkerinos.

Story

• Advertisement

Morning, can't wait for 5 oclock Friday!

Startin today with a new attitude (ie - lets make sure I dont get fired) so may not be on this as much :(

I know, I know ...... PARTY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Why oh why must the holidays end. Today(This Week) is going to be the longest crappiest ever.
    Morning, can't wait for 5 oclock Friday!

Startin today with a new attitude (ie - lets make sure I dont get fired) so may not be on this as much :(

I know, I know ...... PARTY!

I thought you had already decided that you were leaving your job anyway?

Why oh why must the holidays end. Today(This Week) is going to be the longest crappiest ever.

+ 1. January blues have officially begun.
    I thought you had already decided that you were leaving your job anyway?

I'd like to but it's not realistic in the current climate. I'm going to do some freelance articles in the journalism field but I'll be in this job for the foreseeable future and in that case I would probably be so close to finishing it out that I'd probably stay. unless of course the economy takes a massive upturn (which it won't), I'm gonna be here for a while yet. :(

+ 1. January blues have officially begun.

True.
    I'd like to but it's not realistic in the current climate. I'm going to do some freelance articles in the journalism field but I'll be in this job for the foreseeable future and in that case I would probably be so close to finishing it out that I'd probably stay. unless of course the economy takes a massive upturn (which it won't), I'm gonna be here for a while yet. :(

Aww thats no good. But your right a job is a job right now and anybody would be stupid to leave theirs unless the had another one lined up. And even then you would want to make sure you research the company a bit and don't end up a victim of the last in first out policy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Christ almighty this isn't even my first day back and yet it feels like it. Hateful day so far. Every bastard calling in is taking their depression out on me.

Oh and Morning all, happy new year to anyone who wasn't on over the christmas hols.

Jayzus thought I'd done good saving money over Xmas, planning on putting it into the holiday fund until today:

170 on the dentist
    Have to pay my fees on Saturday and thats 180
    And need new astro's

Feck sake...
    Bloody Recession....
    Grumble...

:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Afternoon folks.

First game back at indoor tonight and I'm fooked. Fitness went to shite over the Christmas. It's the gym for me tomorrow :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Jayzus thought I'd done good saving money over Xmas, planning on putting it into the holiday fund until today:

170 on the dentist
    Have to pay my fees on Saturday and thats 180
    And need new astro's

Feck sake...
    Bloody Recession....
    Grumble...

:mad:

Dude. I yearn for the days where you only had to pay registration fees. Mine were 2,900 this year and likely to be 3,300 next year :(

Just giving you a bit of perspective!

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    First game back at indoor tonight and I'm fooked. Fitness went to shite over the Christmas. It's the gym for me tomorrow :o

Me too I gave up on the gym for pretty much the month of December played a game of five a side yesterday and it nearly killed me. Time to get back into the gym going routine, I find it really hard to after something stops me going for a few weeks.

I seemed to have recovered fairly well though. No soreness or stiffness* today.

*lets leave the penis jokes out.

I'm going to start getting into shape.
    Kept the football up over christmas but its about time I started really pushing it because I've plateau'd in terms of the level of fitness I need for my 60 mins twice a week. Unfortunately you can't book 90 min slots at our local pitch so I'll have to hit the gym - have you seen the price of these so-called "gyms". My god it's daylight robbery.

Kept the football up over christmas but its about time I started really pushing it because I've plateau'd in terms of the level of fitness I need for my 60 mins twice a week. Unfortunately you can't book 90 min slots at our local pitch so I'll have to hit the gym - have you seen the price of these so-called "gyms". My god it's daylight robbery.

I thought you would be able to get some good deals at this time of year. Especially as the gyms should be worried about people canceling memberships as it is one if the first things to go when people starting looking for ways to save money.

I have a pain in my hole with these gyms,I am getting myself a good road bike and getting back into road racing for the summer.

I've a gym in my apartment complex. Costs no extra.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I've a gym in my apartment complex. Costs no extra.

You just love a little boast don't ya, between your nice weather, beaches, Christmas parties on the Swan river (guessing at the name), and your feckin gym in your apartment. Sick of it I am, you are on ignore.

• Advertisement

A new boards record...

Most users ever online was 4,407, Today at 14:08.

I thought you would be able to get some good deals at this time of year. Especially as the gyms should be worried about people canceling memberships as it is one if the first things to go when people starting looking for ways to save money.
    I'd have thought the opposite with everyone looking to shed the pounds after christmas, new year's resolutions, and possibly booking a holiday around now that might involve bikinis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Need to hit the gym again myself, it's so hard getting motivated to get back into a routine once you've gotten out of it over a few weeks, gona be tough those first few visits :pac:

Afternoon gents,

What's the story all? Been a lazy day today. Had an O'briens and a Latte which will probably mean I'll be getting sick after the gym tomorrow :)

O'briens coffee is muck.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    O'briens coffee is muck.

I was quite satisfied actually !

I was quite satisfied actually !

It tastes like tar and is week as fcuk,IMO.

coffee is muck.

fyp

Tea ftw.

Des wrote: »
    fyp

Tea ftw.

I hate tea,don't go near the stuff.Coffee keeps you awake so has its uses.

I hate tea,don't go near the stuff.Coffee keeps you awake so has its uses.
    So does tea. There's caffiene in tea too ya know. Plus it's a sustained boost and contains anti-oxidants.

So does tea. There's caffiene in tea too ya know. Plus it's a sustained boost and contains anti-oxidants.

As they say you learn something new everyday,how much caffeine does tea have..?surley not nearly as much as coffee.

As they say you learn something new everyday,how much caffeine does tea have..?surley not nearly as much as coffee.

http://www.stashtea.com/caffeine.htm

While coffee and tea are both sources of caffeine, the amounts of caffeine in any single serving of these beverages varies significantly. An average serving of coffee contains the most caffeine, yet the same serving size of tea provides only 1/2 to 1/3 as much.(Ref.: Caffeine by The Institute of Food Technologists' Expert Panel on Food Safety & Nutrition.) One of the more confusing aspects of caffeine content is the fact that coffee contains less caffeine than tea when measured in its dry form. The caffeine content of a prepared cup of coffee is significantly higher than the caffeine content of a prepared cup of tea.

Roughly half that of a standard cup of coffee. But coffee makes you more tired in the long run because it dehydrates you, tea is a hydrator though so is much better at keeping you awake in the long run.

/nerd

Dude. I yearn for the days where you only had to pay registration fees. Mine were 2,900 this year and likely to be 3,300 next year :(

Just giving you a bit of perspective!

These are fees for the club. 180 from every student member of the club to cover pitches, referees, equipment etc.

Had a 30euro voucher for Dundrum there, went up to get new astro's. Saw a pair that were 40 down from 80 and I was returning something for 6 euro.
    So it only felt like I was paying 4 euro for them... :pac:

Also bought the book of 'The Beach', apparently it's ten times better than the film, looking forward to getting stuck into it. Nearly bought the book 'Hotel Babylon' aswell but student instincts kicked in and stopped me..

Also bought the book of 'The Beach', apparently it's ten times better than the film, looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Wow, it's been a while since I read that, it's a brilliant book all the same.

Nice buy dude.

• Advertisement

Nice buy dude.

Two good recommendations, Aces!

Nice buy dude.

+ 1.

That's the only book I ever read twice!

+ 1.

That's the only book I ever read twice!

I say I've read every book I own a minimum of twice. Plaenty of my books I've read upwards of ten times over the years.

I know it's weird when you know what's going to happen, but I just can't stop myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Catch 22 = best bit of literature ever created.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Catch 22 = best bit of literature ever created.

Never got into it.,

Tried reading it a few times, never finished it.

Does anybody here like Bill Bryson books..?the man has a way with words not many could match.

Does anybody here like Bill Bryson books..?the man has a way with words not many could match.

Yep, I love A Brief History Of Nearly Everything and Mother Tongue.

Not read either of his Notes ones though.

Yep, I love A Brief History Of Nearly Everything and Mother Tongue.

Not read either of his Notes ones though.

His work is great,I have read most of it.I am reading both Notes now,you should checkout some of his travel stuff,its not a traditional travel book more the world as he sees it.I would recommend The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America & Notes from a Small Island (his take on the UK)

Some great Bill quotes
    “The average Southerner has the speech patterns of someone slipping in and out of consciousness. I can change my shoes and socks faster than most people in Mississippi can speak a sentence.”
    There are only three things that can kill a farmer: lightning, rolling over in a tractor, and old age.”
    “He had the sort of face that makes you realize God does have a sense of humor.”
    If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Bought "life and times of the thunderbolt kid" last year, basically memoirs of his (brysons) childhood but done in a travel book kind of way, great read.

• Advertisement

Best book I've read recently was Bravo Two Zero. About Andy McNab and his SAS team getting captured in Iraq. Good read, dark humor is epic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement