Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread III : Off Topic-er

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah there's not a hope of me getting it to be fair.

Your the best nomination put forward so far tbh.

We all know it will be Run_to_da_hills though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think Des will get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I think Des will get it
    Morning Homies

I have also nominated myself for the job, Vote ME :)

I need a career change, I REALLY hate this sh1t. Anyone (looking at senior citizens like, say, Des) ever done such a thing got any advice?!

I need a career change, I REALLY hate this sh1t. Anyone (looking at senior citizens like, say, Des) ever done such a thing got any advice?!
    I thought you only got an extended probation yesterday?

I am getting made redundant end of January, and I was thinking of a career change, sick of being in IT.

Cruijff wrote: »
    I thought you only got an extended probation yesterday?

I am getting made redundant end of January, and I was thinking of a career change, sick of being in IT.

I did. Basically I have repeats in May so THEY extended my probabtion until then so that if I fail I'm out. After May I can't quit and they can't fire me. Then I'll have 2 years a 4 months left to do. And given the fact that I hate it I dunno if that's such a good idea so my thinkin is get out now while I still can. I will do the exams in May regardless as I'm determined to finish them. But I'm gonna actively look for a plan B. Only problem is I'm not sure what plan B is.

Ya thats a bit of balls, I want to go back to college, but in some ways I dont.

Cruijff wrote: »
    Ya thats a bit of balls, I want to go back to college, but in some ways I dont.

I don't wanna go back cos I don't wanna be a 24 year old broke student!

Amen to that.

However if I was 19 again.....

I don't wanna go back cos I don't wanna be a 24 year old broke student!
    Yes thats the crappy thing about it all, once you have decent money , you dont want to go back to be broke, it Sucks then.

Plus 17/18 yr old kids would wreck me head, although I am only 24 , they would annoy me.

• Advertisement

If I was 19 I wouldnt even be thinking about it. Sure I was 19 when I started college!

I'm gonna sit down properly and maybe see someone for career advice. I'm good with people, good at English and have a good memory. Surely there's something out there for me! I think my postcount over the last year says it all about the enjoyment factor I get out of this job!

Go into Journalism. It's easy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I'm gonna sit down properly and maybe see someone for career advice. I'm good with people, good at English and have a good memory. Surely there's something out there for me! I think my postcount over the last year says it all about the enjoyment factor I get out of this job!

Re train as a teacher.

Morrning all.

Go into Journalism. It's easy.

My cousin does it! He writes for the Indo! Not sure but I do remember him sayin he wasn't mad on it after a while!

I'd say that's a few more years of college at least yea? 24 year old dropout accountant with no previous experience and just a good Leaving Cert English result to go on.......hmmmmm! Not a candidate really for "hire during downturn"!

Dub13 wrote: »
    Re train as a teacher.

Morrning all.

LOL 3 months paid hols every year would be epic!

My cousin does it! He writes for the Indo! Not sure but I do remember him sayin he wasn't mad on it after a while!

I'd say that's a few more years of college at least yea? 24 year old dropout accountant with no previous experience and just a good Leaving Cert English result to go on.......hmmmmm! Not a candidate really for "hire during downturn"!

1 year post grad and you're sorted.

I'd love to be a teacher but not a hope of me studying again for it.

1 year post grad and you're sorted.

I'd love to be a teacher but not a hope of me studying again for it.

Interesting. I'll look into that. Is it difficult to make a living from man? Also is it full time or part time postgrad!?

I'd get bored being a teacher tbh.

Interesting. I'll look into that. Is it difficult to make a living from man? Also is it full time or part time postgrad!?

Not exactly sure how long it is but you can do them part time anyway.

Work wise you can do some freelance work while in your present job and build up a portfolio which will help you out when going for a 'proper' job. I've got about 5 years worth of published stuff at this stage and it all helps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I'd get bored being a teacher tbh.

I think been a PE teacher would be great.

• Advertisement

6th year girls yeah? ;)

Not exactly sure how long it is but you can do them part time anyway.

Work wise you can do some freelance work while in your present job and build up a portfolio which will help you out when going for a 'proper' job. I've got about 5 years worth of published stuff at this stage and it all helps.

Sorry for all the Q's, I havent a clue ya see, how would one go about getting freelance work?! I know there's a course in DIT, Ill look into it later. That would be a good way of getting a feel for it and seeing if I'm good at it without taking too much of a jump wouldn't it?

The fact that Im posting here all morning with my boss about 10 feet away and facing my back, and I could give 2 sh1ts, as well as me going into that meeting yesterday fairly sure I was gonna get the chop, and me again not giving a sh1t, says it all to me. I don't wanna spend the next 30-40 or so years hating my life and job!

My friend is a PE teacher. He seems to really enjoy it. Suprising amount of exams to do.

Sorry for all the Q's, I havent a clue ya see, how would one go about getting freelance work?! I know there's a course in DIT, Ill look into it later. That would be a good way of getting a feel for it and seeing if I'm good at it without taking too much of a jump wouldn't it?

The fact that Im posting here all morning with my boss about 10 feet away and facing my back, and I could give 2 sh1ts, as well as me going into that meeting yesterday fairly sure I was gonna get the chop, and me again not giving a sh1t, says it all to me. I don't wanna spend the next 30-40 or so years hating my life and job!

Local papers are a gold mine. I was gettin 35-40 euro for 350 word match reports on under 11s football. Never had it so cushy.

Basically ring them and ask if they require anyone to go to games on a Saturday/Sunday morning. Check out fixtures and see if two local rivals are playing each other (2 teams from the catchment area sells more copies than 1). Then just head down and do a report and submit it via email. Happy days.

Local papers are a gold mine. I was gettin 35-40 euro for 350 word match reports on under 11s football. Never had it so cushy.

Basically ring them and ask if they require anyone to go to games on a Saturday/Sunday morning. Check out fixtures and see if two local rivals are playing each other (2 teams from the catchment area sells more copies than 1). Then just head down and do a report and submit it via email. Happy days.

Thanks dude. I might see if any publications want someone to write a review of the UFC in January.

Anyone remember this as a kid:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Ah see there a couple of IT heads.

Firstly someone said they were a Java man. No such thing you are either a programmer or your not a programmer.

Secondly if ya want to pay me I will look at the C++ project? (dunno who that was either)

Thirdly yes I know I am being lazy by not looking back trough posts.

youtube blocked in work :(

Plus watchin youtube vids with the boss sittin so near would be REALLY takin the p1ss!

My brothers in for the sponsored skydive too. Anyone wanna pitch a charity to me? I'm thinking something for the homeless myself but I'm open to ideas. Gonna jump in Feb hopefully.

wow alan, I know its the "off topic thread" but thats, like, SOO 2 pages ago! :pac:

youtube blocked in work :(

Plus watchin youtube vids with the boss sittin so near would be REALLY takin the p1ss!

My brothers in for the sponsored skydive too. Anyone wanna pitch a charity to me? I'm thinking something for the homeless myself but I'm open to ideas. Gonna jump in Feb hopefully.
    Its a video of Funhouse with Pat Sharpe.

I can categorically say now that, no, I don't remember that?!

• Advertisement

wow alan, I know its the "off topic thread" but thats, like, SOO 2 pages ago! :pac:

internet in work was down for a while this morning so I am playing catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Morning lads. .o/

Lads.

Distinct lack of tags on this thread.

I can categorically say now that, no, I don't remember that?!

You don't remember fun house?

I was listen to the Ray Darcy podcasts from when Zig and Zag where on his show their a few weeks back. Classic stuff put me in such a good mood this morning. Unfortunately work has already ruined my good mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

My brothers in for the sponsored skydive too. Anyone wanna pitch a charity to me?

Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association.

http://www.imnda.ie/

My best mate and his two brothers (the three of whom play in my band), their mother died of this disease a while back. It really is a ****ing horrible horrible horrible disease. The people at the IMNDA are really amazing with the sufferers and families of those who are afflicted.

A very worthy cause imo.

internet in work was down for a while this morning so I am playing catch up.

Jesus. I hope you didn't resort to working.

Des wrote: »
    Morning lads. .o/

Lads.

Distinct lack of tags on this thread.

Morning Des. How's the form?

Yes I agree, this one is the illegitimate child of the OT thread is it? i'll get thinkin of a few!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association.

http://www.imnda.ie/

My best mate and his two brothers (the three of whom play in my band), their mother died of this disease a while back. It really is a ****ing horrible horrible horrible disease. The people at the IMNDA are really amazing with the sufferers and families of those who are afflicted.

A very worthy cause imo.

I'll read about it later Al, thanks. My brother is doing it for SVdP anyway. he's involved in that in his college so he was always gonna do that.

Morning All

My mate does that for the Tallaght Echo. He works a few hours a weekend and makes a crap load more than the rest of us would doing long part-time shifts.
    He made a bomb on the St. Francis vs. Peamount Ladies Cup Final on Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Cheers for all that info actually Xavi, i've been looking at moving into writing a bit more seriously for a while myself. Been doing it ages, but would love to actually get paid for it!

Jesus. I hope you didn't resort to working.

Have to. Its all deadlines deadlines deadlines at the moment.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Cheers for all that info actually Xavi, i've been looking at moving into writing a bit more seriously for a while myself. Been doing it ages, but would love to actually get paid for it!

What field are u currently in again? I know this, I jsut cant get it to the tip of my brain!

• Advertisement

Have to. Its all deadlines deadlines deadlines at the moment.

I knwo d feeling. I'm feelin like "fcuk their deadlines" today ya see, I must listen to Rage Against The Machine or something on my lunch break!

What field are u currently in again? I know this, I jsut cant get it to the tip of my brain!

He's in Cork, there are loads of fields.

I knwo d feeling. I'm feelin like "fcuk their deadlines" today ya see, I must listen to Rage Against The Machine or something on my lunch break!

Soothing seaside noises is what you need.

psssshhhh
    pshhshhhshshsh

wddsshhhhhh

splshhhswdssshhhh

CAW CAW CAW

psssshhhh
    pshhshhhshshsh

wddsshhhhhh

splshhhswdssshhhh

CAW CAW CAW
    Classic Homer, Legend Des.

***Insert sound of ships horn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

sounds like Howth tbh

Mr Alan wrote: »
    sounds like Howth tbh

Not when you're within easrshot it doesnt!!

"*** **** ***** **** ****"!

psssshhhh
    pshhshhhshshsh

wddsshhhhhh

splshhhswdssshhhh

CAW CAW CAW

Was trying to find that youtube clip...

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »