Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread III : Off Topic-er

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Two player flash games? I don't have a cam...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ok. How about.....
    Movie trivia quiz?

Start with a quote
    Name that movie:

"Guns for show, Knives for a pro"

I'm gonna be honest here - I'm not a movie enthusiast by any means and my knowledge sucks.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm gonna be honest here - I'm not a movie enthusiast by any means and my knowledge sucks.

Aight I'll think of something better...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

theres always the single player option...

Thats the worst Idea ever.
    See I'd know the answer straigh-

Ooooooh, that was humour.

fail

Just wrote a boring story for work on an auctioneering firm and how they are selling the construction equipment of companies that are going bust. A complete zzzzz fest so I managed to jazz it up with the headline 'Stop, hammer time'. Geddit?!

Just wrote a boring story for work on an auctioneering firm and how they are selling the construction equipment of companies that are going bust. A complete zzzzz fest so I managed to jazz it up with the headline 'Stop, hammer time'. Geddit?!

Will that title make it through editting? Or will it be dulled down to something boring that suits the piece?

Do you/have you ever do/done any stories on the oil rigs? My uncle lives in Perth and works on one of them and he said they had an Irish journo out on it before.
    Long shot, but hey, ya never know...
    Could work the same way all of us Irish know Bono personally

Frisbee wrote: »
    Will that title make it through editting? Or will it be dulled down to something boring that suits the piece?

Oh it made it through alright. Gonna be run on two sites. Pop culture ftw!
    Do you/have you ever do/done any stories on the oil rigs? My uncle lives in Perth and works on one of them and he said they had an Irish journo out on it before.
    Long shot, but hey, ya never know...
    Could work the same way all of us Irish know Bono personally

Nah oil ain't my thing. We do have a publication that covers that though.

Oh it made it through alright. Gonna be run on two sites. Pop culture ftw!

Nice, gotta keep MC Hammer ticking over with those royalty cheques...
    Nah oil ain't my thing. We do have a publication that covers that though.

Yeah oil doesn't really strike me as interesting either, but to each their own I guess.

Do you have a set time you work for every week? e.g. 8-4 or 9-5 etc every week. Or you work what you have to till deadline with your shifts changing week to week?

• Advertisement

It's 8.30 to 4/4.30 Monday to Friday. I'm the editor of a website that runs a 3 times weekly newsletter which amounts to 24 stories per week. That goes out on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings Perth time (lunch time over east). I have editorial discretion as well which means I get the final say on what is and isn't run.

It's 8 to 4 Monday to Friday. I'm the editor of a website that runs a 3 times weekly newsletter which amounts to 24 stories per week. That goes out on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings Perth time (lunch time over east). I have editorial discretion as well which means I get the final say on what is and isn't run.

8-4 is astronomically better than 9-5. I work full time during the summer and I hated ever having to do a 9-5. I only got about an extra 15/20 minutes in bed if I was in for 9 than 8 with the fecking traffic...

Editorial discretion ey?
    Are you a hardass? Does everyone hate the 'Paddy on the power trip?' :pac:

Heh not really but sometimes I just bin PR bollox from companies if it's too fluffy. Can't be arsed weeding out the one or two lines of news from two or three pages. It's good though when the positive feedback comes in.

Heh not really but sometimes I just bin PR bollox from companies if it's too fluffy. Can't be arsed weeding out the one or two lines of news from two or three pages. It's good though when the positive feedback comes in.

Positive feedback.... Is that like some sort of real life 'Thanks' button or something?

Lol I wish! It's more in the form of phone calls. Bad feedback happens as well though.

Bad feedback happens as well though.

Part and parcel of the job.
    Had some woman in to me tonight giving out that we were all robbing bastards.

Basically we had a 'fine wine sale' in work over the weekend where some of our better wines were reduced big time.
    One of the ones on offer was the 'Ascheri Barolo Coste' 25 down from 40.
    So she goes to the shelf and picks up a bottle of 'Ascheri Barolo' not the Coste and starts giving out because it's only 30 and it's false advertising so she demands the Coste version for 15 as we have lied to the public by a tenner. I let her build up a head of steam and just explained I couldnt do that.
    At this stage I place both bottles side by side and very slowly point out the difference in the labels to her. Then she starts giving out to me and saying she'll have the consumer watchdog onto me etc etc
    Some people really need to get fcuking lives...

Lol ah yes the joys of retail. Thank fook I'm done with that! 5 years was more than enough.

I had 2 summers worth of retail in a Paint Warehouse/Shop. That was fine as it was all builders/painters/plasterers etc coming in so they were all fairly cool about everything.

It all these annoying 40+ year old 'professionals' who are the biggest arseholes...
    The nicest people I deal with on a shift are the travellers from the halting site down the road. Sound lads who don't cause any trouble (mainly because they would have to walk further to get their booze if they were barred) as opposed to annoying middle aged women getting uppity because you wont give them your staff discount because their buying 6 bottles of wine....

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I heart mastodon!

Excellent, was the set list the same as ours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Morning Everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah oil doesn't really strike me
    Is this supposed to be a pun?
    Part and parcel of the job.
    Had some woman in to me tonight giving out that we were all robbing bastards.

Basically we had a 'fine wine sale' in work over the weekend where some of our better wines were reduced big time.
    One of the ones on offer was the 'Ascheri Barolo Coste' 25 down from 40.
    So she goes to the shelf and picks up a bottle of 'Ascheri Barolo' not the Coste and starts giving out because it's only 30 and it's false advertising so she demands the Coste version for 15 as we have lied to the public by a tenner. I let her build up a head of steam and just explained I couldnt do that.
    At this stage I place both bottles side by side and very slowly point out the difference in the labels to her. Then she starts giving out to me and saying she'll have the consumer watchdog onto me etc etc
    Some people really need to get fcuking lives...
    I hate the public. Hate them. Bastards.

Morning everyone.

Especially Laura.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

could be worse you could have to deal with the muppets i have deal with every day.

you write to them once a month for 8 months, they ignore your emails, letters and phone calls and then have the cheek to phone me screaming because they hvae no money and are going to close down and have a complete meltdown when you point on that i have been trying to contact them for the last 8 months and its too late now cos the money is gone, it hasnt really but i just told them that, then she started crying and i told her it was out of my hands and i would have to speak with my manager:):)

Making people cry = win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

could be worse you could have to deal with the muppets i have deal with every day.

you write to them once a month for 8 months, they ignore your emails, letters and phone calls and then have the cheek to phone me screaming because they hvae no money and are going to close down and have a complete meltdown when you point on that i have been trying to contact them for the last 8 months and its too late now cos the money is gone, it hasnt really but i just told them that, then she started crying and i told her it was out of my hands and i would have to speak with my manager:):)
    I just hate everyone, easier that way :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kalimera
    Góðan daginn
    Ohayo
    Dobro jutro
    Buenos días
    God morgon
    Sawatdi torn chao
    Bore da

Mornin'.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Góðan daginn

Icelandic, yes?

Des wrote: »
    Icelandic, yes?

on the ball Des

Excellent, was the set list the same as ours?

Yup. Finished with Emerald as well with some random drunk baldin skinny dude playing second guitar! Was delighted that they played Megalodon tbh, love that tune and the hillbilly lick out of nowhere in the middle followed by the riff change is one of the coolest things Ive ever heard.

They were deadly, Brent Hinds and Brann Dailor played their Rockabilly stuff with masks on as support, was great fun! And I was jober as a sudge at it too!

I'm wrecked today though I hafta say.

@ Xavi.....LOL @ Hammer Time....that would give the article a +1 from me regardless of content!!! :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Christ this thread moves way too fast. Took us 3 months to rack up this number of posts in the original one.

Anyways - nobody took a bite of my present idea requests. So now I have to think on my own steam damn ye. That purple GHD hair set thing looks the easy option, but almost too easy. I find buying presents for your wimmins is really a test of how thoughtful you are.

I am about to fail that test.

On another note. Morning all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Kalimera
    Góðan daginn
    Ohayo
    Dobro jutro
    Buenos días
    God morgon
    Sawatdi torn chao
    Bore da

Mornin'.

Hvala takodje;)

• Advertisement

Mornin eskimo.

Id tell ya what im gettin her but I dunno, tis dodgy, u never know who lurks!! :D

If you're stuck just ask her friends/sister! i didnt have to do that because I'm just that thoughtful!! :P

Yea Ive noticed this thread moves way faster than the old one. that's because Des is desperate to have more posts than me in it!! :pac:

Hvala takodje;)

What?

that's because Des is desperate to have more posts than me in it!! :pac:

At the moment dude, I am teh wjnar.

What?

Thanks, you too-Hvala,takodje

Anyway,it seems Estie is again banned and his thread is closed in feedback,what is going on,he is banned for 5th time now and only coz mods found out its the same person they banned for the first time,is there a rule they can do that? I thought you alwats can reregister normally....estie has his place in here and i would like to see him back....

Hvala takodje;)

I put that one in there for you Delija ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

They were deadly, Brent Hinds and Brann Dailor played their Rockabilly stuff with masks on as support, was great fun!

They did that here too, it confused the bejesus out of me at first!

I put that one in there for you Delija ;)

Why thank you:D

I suposed so coz i dont see any other crazy serb around:D

At the moment dude, I am teh wjnar.

It's a marathon not a sprint! Much like all of Fergies great teams, I will break in the second half of the season!! :pac: Plus I'll always have the distinction of most posts in the original thread! :pac: As much as you pretend it doesn't bother you, I know it eats you up inside!! :D

They did that here too, it confused the bejesus out of me at first!

It was great fun though! I'd heard about it a few weeks back so I went in specifically to watch it. He's a funny man is Mr Hinds! His forehead tattoo is mad lookin.

Why thank you:D

I suposed so coz i dont see any other crazy serb around:D

нема проблема

Neil, one of these days ill get to see Mastadon live. Have had tickets Twice, but seem to have a jinx with them where something comes up!

Thanks, you too-Hvala,takodje

If I wanted Serbian lessons, I'd be in school.
    Anyway,it seems Estie is again banned and his thread is closed in feedback,what is going on,he is banned for 5th time now and only coz mods found out its the same person they banned for the first time,is there a rule they can do that?
    If you get banned from Boards.ie, you are not allowed to register another account to get around that.

Anyway, it was a bit silly to use THE EXACT SAME NAME.
    estie has his place in here and i would like to see him back....

Well, we all think he's a legend, but alas, he broke the rules.

Actually, delija, how does a Serbian dude end up posting on Boards.ie, an Irish website?

How did you find the place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Just spent all night coming up with, researching, and typing out a 2500 word essay in a hurry as it was due in this morning. Except now i as i look online for where to submit i notice its not due in til this morning next week! i burnt the midnight oil for nothing, im so tired yet so caffeine ridden im probably unable to get to sleep. I hate academia.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yea Ive noticed this thread moves way faster than the old one. that's because Des is desperate to have more posts than me in it!! :pac:

Explains it a little. My post per day ratio has taken a nose dive since they laid a few off at work. Flat out busy now. Have to work every 3rd Saturday instead of every 4 now too which the woman was less than pleased about.

Neil, one of these days ill get to see Mastadon live. Have had tickets Twice, but seem to have a jinx with them where something comes up!

3rd time I've seen em now. They're always class. they love playin here so no doubt they'll be back soon and you'll catch em then!! Do u come up to Dublin for gigs?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Explains it a little. My post per day ratio has taken a nose dive since they laid a few off at work. Flat out busy now. Have to work every 3rd Saturday instead of every 4 now too which the woman was less than pleased about.

See this is what I never understand. They lay off people to presumably save money but then end up spending that money on people working over time. Makes no sense.

Just spent all night coming up with, researching, and typing out a 2500 word essay in a hurry as it was due in this morning. Except now i as i look online for where to submit i notice its not due in til this morning next week! i burnt the midnight oil for nothing, im so tired yet so caffeine ridden im probably unable to get to sleep. I hate academia.

Go back to bed and sleep it off. Then next week when everyone's scrambling to finsh send them a text saying "pints?"

Go back to bed and sleep it off. Then next week when everyone's scrambling to finsh send them a text saying "pints?"

If I reply to your posts, you'll never catch me.

catch_me_if_you_can.jpg

I'm DiCaprio

If I reply to your posts, you'll never catch me.

Who says I want to catch you?! I'm teh original winner! I just looked there, not only are u miles ahead, I'm only 4th!! :eek:
    I'm DiCaprio

But "Tom Hanker" suits you so much better!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Even better, it means come Wednesday evening after an exam i am officially on Xmas holyers! Yeessss!

Who says I want to catch you?! I'm teh original winner! I just looked there, not only are u miles ahead, I'm only 4th!! :eek:

It's decided on aggregate.

Over two legs.

At least you're still in the CL Spots.

In danger of doing an Arsenal though.

• Advertisement

3rd time I've seen em now. They're always class. they love playin here so no doubt they'll be back soon and you'll catch em then!! Do u come up to Dublin for gigs?!

on occasion alright, but actually a decent number of metal bands come to cork, if you keep an eye out. Furthest in Ireland i've gone was Belfast for Megadeth - soo worth it. Furthest full stop was Wacken (near hamburg) for Wacken open Air. Most awesome couple of days ever. Bit ridiculous though, we were actually retarded by the end of it, so many brain cells had been killed (could buy crates of beer in there for less then a euro a bottle, and botles of jagermeister). The simplest problems seemed insurmountable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement