Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread III : Off Topic-er

Comments

Des wrote: »
    It's decided on aggregate.

Over two legs.

At least you're still in the CL Spots.

In danger of doing an Arsenal though.

I should be winning on aggregate no!? At the very worst, I'm second!!

In terms of this thread, I'm not only in danger, but very much in the process of doing an Arse!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    on occasion alright, but actually a decent number of metal bands come to cork, if you keep an eye out. Furthest in Ireland i've gone was Belfast for Megadeth - soo worth it. Furthest full stop was Wacken (near hamburg) for Wacken open Air. Most awesome couple of days ever. Bit ridiculous though, we were actually retarded by the end of it, so many brain cells had been killed (could buy crates of beer in there for less then a euro a bottle, and botles of jagermeister). The simplest problems seemed insurmountable.

Megadeth, what a band.

Yea I've gone up as far as Belfast, cant say for who, I've mainly stuck to Dublin though tbh. I'd love to go get retarded at a summer festival abroad though. I always mean to do Download but last year was the first year i could have gone (always on at exam time) and the line up was poxy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

As much I like Mastodon, Tool shat all over them when I saw them both play in Dublin 2 years ago. But I suppose I'm biased.

How's everyone doing this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eZe^ wrote: »

Not bad.

Tired though

At least it's thursday

Ya, I've only one lecture today so I decided I've earned a day off. :pac:

Parents hassling me again to write a few things down for Chrimbo as they are getting some stuff today., don't really know. It's a sad sad day when the only thing I could think is maybe trying out one of those electric razors. :pac:

• Advertisement

Ya, I've only one lecture today so I decided I've earned a day off. :pac:

Parents hassling me again to write a few things down for Chrimbo as they are getting some stuff today., don't really know.
    Get clothes if you can think of nothing else.

But absolutely make sure you can take them for every penny they are offering.
    It's a sad sad day when the only thing I could think is maybe trying out one of those electric razors. :pac:

Don't bother.

As much I like Mastodon, Tool shat all over them when I saw them both play in Dublin 2 years ago. But I suppose I'm biased.

To be fair, headliner = headline stage show, lights, etc

support = low key get up.

That said I prefer Tool, as they're one of my favourite bands, and I was at that gig and I was blown away. Mastodon are still a smaller venue type of band, they excel in that atmosphere. They are supporting 'Tallica on their summer tour next year though so hopefully that gets them more exposure.

I'm grand today, I'vve this competition on Saturday and I'm still strugglin with injuries though so I'm gettin ratty. I'd say I'll b a grump sh1te by tomorrow evenin.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

See this is what I never understand. They lay off people to presumably save money but then end up spending that money on people working over time. Makes no sense.
    Oh you would think that. But we don't get paid overtime. Or bonuses. Oh no. My salary is my salary and therefore that is what I earn regardless of effort. We basically have to leave when our shift ends. The redundancies basically mean that when I am there I am struggling with my workload of tech emails which I have to do between calls. It wasn't too bad yesterday because everyone was in. As soon as annual leave/lieu days (from working the Sats)/sick days hit we are a bit screwed.

Welcome to Capitalism.
    Des wrote:

Priceless.

I'm grand today, I'vve this competition on Saturday and I'm still strugglin with injuries though so I'm gettin ratty.

Where is the competition?

I'll make a poster

GO NEIL1984

How awesome would that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Morning all. Strange game of tennis today. 6-1, 0-6, 6-2 to me. Absolute mare of a 2nd set. Totally fecked now after this morning's early start.

• Advertisement

Haha! God no Des! I've already talked my girlfriend outta goin, I'm wokrin on talking my mates out of it, I'm hardly gonna let anyone else come along with all that taken care of!! :pac: If u brought that then I'd defo get the baitin!! Would be funny but!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Morning all. Strange game of tennis today. 6-1, 0-6, 6-2 to me. Absolute mare of a 2nd set. Totally fecked now after this morning's early start.

Did u turn around after and tell him "form is temporary, class is permanent"?!

Also, do u play competitively? U seem to play a lotta tennis.

To be fair, headliner = headline stage show, lights, etc

support = low key get up.

That said I prefer Tool, as they're one of my favourite bands, and I was at that gig and I was blown away. Mastodon are still a smaller venue type of band, they excel in that atmosphere. They are supporting 'Tallica on their summer tour next year though so hopefully that gets them more exposure.

I'm grand today, I'vve this competition on Saturday and I'm still strugglin with injuries though so I'm gettin ratty. I'd say I'll b a grump sh1te by tomorrow evenin.

Ah but I've been to plenty of gigs where the support has been better than the headline act, I just thought that Tool have something special in their live acts, where they create a crazy kind of energy without the members going mental on stage and breaking stuff. The one live band that I have yet to go see from my favourite bands of all time are Deftones, what I would do to see them.

Do you have an equipment at home actually Neil? Like a punchbag or whatever to work on technique when you're too lazy to go to the gym? I've always wanted a punchbag, don't really know why. :pac:

Haha, oh I will, even if it means getting something like new speakers for my room.

Tennis is shít.

Real Tennis is brilliant.

Lol nah I just through stages in every match where I **** up a few times and the head drops. Sometimes it takes longer than others to get goin again. Today it cost me a whole bloody set. Haven't played competitively since school but I'm on the search for open invitation tournaments to enter now that I'm back playing regularly and well.

Tonsil tennis?! Win!! :pac:

I find that with all racquet sports really, the single most important thing for me is concentration, the second I start slacking is the second unforced errors start happening, or where I get lazy and wont do my best to return cross court shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

нема проблема

Haha wow it seems you are advanced,you even know cyrilic:D

If I wanted Serbian lessons, I'd be in school.

If you get banned from Boards.ie, you are not allowed to register another account to get around that.

Anyway, it was a bit silly to use THE EXACT SAME NAME.

Well, we all think he's a legend, but alas, he broke the rules.

Actually, delija, how does a Serbian dude end up posting on Boards.ie, an Irish website?

How did you find the place?

I think you sent "What?" after i wrote that serbian thing:rolleyes:

Well actually this was his 5th time to register and he was trying to be undercover but everytime mods realised its actually esteban he was banned,thats what confuses me,this was 1st time he was actually showing his real identity...

I thought i explained 100 times already why am i here:confused:

Ah but I've been to plenty of gigs where the support has been better than the headline act, I just thought that Tool have something special in their live acts, where they create a crazy kind of energy without the members going mental on stage and breaking stuff. The one live band that I have yet to go see from my favourite bands of all time are Deftones, what I would do to see them.

Agree 100%. But Mastodon weren't bad that night either.

Tool are just incredible. I think what sets them apart is 1) how tight their playing is, 2) the mystique they've created by aviding the media, hence they become somewhat of an enigma so people get very excited to see them, 3) they're amazing music and then, of course, the green lasers! :pac:

Never seen the deftones, won't die unhappy if I never see them. i love White Pony but I find their later stuff a tad too hit and miss.
    Do you have an equipment at home actually Neil? Like a punchbag or whatever to work on technique when you're too lazy to go to the gym? I've always wanted a punchbag, don't really know why. :pac:

LOL I'm an absolute MMA geek. I own loads of varieties of pads, no punchbag yet but I don't lazy out of training too often so i don't need to won own. I also own a shedload of MMA DVDs and technique instructional books and DVDs. :o

it's great though, if I'm p1ssed off, an hour or 2 or Muay-Thai has me mellower than a Buddhist monk. As for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, it's funkier than a Bootsy Collins bassline so I just love training in it and learning new sh1t! If you've ever seen some of the crazy sh1t u learn in it, I'd love to train it high!! :D

You should get a punchbag, they're great for stress relief. But, and I'm serious, take 3 or 4 boxing lessons before using it regularly. It's amazing how throwing large amounts of punches incorrectly can damage your joints. 3 or 4 lessons and you'll know enough that you can use the bag for exercise without giving yourself tennis elbow or a frozen shoulder.

I think you sent "What?" after i wrote that serbian thing:rolleyes:
    Relax my friend.

I was joking
    Well actually this was his 5th time to register and he was trying to be undercover but everytime mods realised its actually esteban he was banned,thats what confuses me,this was 1st time he was actually showing his real identity...
    Not so much undercover, he keeps posting from his house.

The Admin can see his IP address, so they keep banning.
    I thought i explained 100 times already why am i here:confused:

I've forgotten.

• Advertisement

Ah, I know a bit of boxing technique already Neil, my Dad was a boxing nut back in the days of Hollyfield, Tyson, Lewis and all those chaps. It seems there isn't as many of those really good commercial heavyweights these days. Although I do like the likes of Mayweather these days.

Actually, I've started watching MMA lately, and I may be way off the mark, but one thing I've noticed is that when they slugging it out on their feet, alot of them seem to not have very good defense. They seem to just train to be able to take heavy impacts and do minimal amounts of defensive work, I guess this is only in comparison to professional boxers. Is it just in MMA there is less need to be as good defensively as in a boxing ring, or are there just different defensive techniques because it's centred around Muay Thai or whatever? I'd really enjoy seeing an MMA fighter with awesome defensive on his feet.

Relax my friend.

I was joking

Not so much undercover, he keeps posting from his house.

The Admin can see his IP address, so they keep banning.

I've forgotten.

I know you did

So he is not allowed to come back ever again or theres a chance he can come back sometime,it seems he $crewed up a lot when they wont allow him to come back at all:rolleyes:

You my friend,have memory problem,i would be concerned:P

As i said we are people who are open to everyone and like to party and have laid back style of life,other west europeans are kinda cold and thats what usually back off every serb,i know irish folks are very similar to us so i knew it can have a lot of fun to be around and talk to all of you.And anyway i like Ireland

Ah, I know a bit of boxing technique already Neil, my Dad was a boxing nut back in the days of Hollyfield, Tyson, Lewis and all those chaps. It seems there isn't as many of those really good commercial heavyweights these days. Although I do like the likes of Mayweather these days.

Ah good, then there ya go. Just makin sure, i know a few people who hurt themselves with their punching bags!!

I always prefer the smaller guys, they're faster and more exciting. Give me Oscar, Hatton, Floyd etc anyday over two big heavyweights.

Actually, I've started watching MMA lately, and I may be way off the mark, but one thing I've noticed is that when they slugging it out on their feet, alot of them seem to not have very good defense. They seem to just train to be able to take heavy impacts and do minimal amounts of defensive work, I guess this is only in comparison to professional boxers. Is it just in MMA there is less need to be as good defensively as in a boxing ring, or are there just different defensive techniques because it's centred around Muay Thai or whatever?

Smaller gloves + kicks and knees mean u cant bob and weave as much as you open up a kick or a Thai clinch. Best example of this is Rampage Jackson. he has great boxing defence. but he has fought and lost devastatingly now, twice to Wanderlei Silva who is a Thai style fighter. Silva has good hands, nothing special but he has an AWESOME Thai clinch. The second Jackson ducks his head, which is great boxign defence, he effectively handed the Thai clinch on a platter to Silva who held his head and kneed his face until he got the KO. It's a different ballgame tbh. but yes I agree, a lot of untechnical brawlers in MMA. They're usually the grapplers. plus, the threat of a takedown can mean that a dangerous grapppler catches a better striker who's scared of being taken down, with a big shot.

One thing the takedown does is adjust everything. you cant throw long combos or u leave ur hips straight and are a sitting duck for a takedown. U also need to ddrop your hands defending a takedown so if u keep your hands real high, which is excellent for defence, you're gonna wind up on your back pretty quickly.

I'd really enjoy seeing an MMA fighter with awesome defensive on his feet.

Lyoto Machida. People complain that he's boring but his defence is unreal. his ability to hit and not be hit is amazing. Unfortunately that style is not too exciting to the average punter. IMO he should be next for Forrest given he's undefeated, but excitement wins the day, so Rashad Evans gets the next shot, go figure.

Problem with the smaller gloves is that it negates a lot of blocking so for MMA the 2 best fors of defence are: Don't get hit, and attack first!

So he is not allowed to come back ever again or theres a chance he can come back sometime,it seems he $crewed up a lot when they wont allow him to come back at all:rolleyes:

The way he's acting by signing up new accounts and being stupid about it, he'll keep getting caught and annoying the wrong people.

You see, he was banned before for 2 weeks, and even then he tried to get around it.

The way he's acting by signing up new accounts and being stupid about it, he'll keep getting caught and annoying the wrong people.

You see, he was banned before for 2 weeks, and even then he tried to get around it.

Oh ok,hope he will cool off a bit and maybe something will change in next period for him:)

Ah good, then there ya go. Just makin sure, i know a few people who hurt themselves with their punching bags!!

I always prefer the smaller guys, they're faster and more exciting. Give me Oscar, Hatton, Floyd etc anyday over two big heavyweights.

I dunno man, I think light heavyweight is my favourite weight class, they have all the knockout power and the speed and technique. Plus, my natural weight would be somewhere between light heavy and super middle. :pac:

Smaller gloves + kicks and knees mean u cant bob and weave as much as you open up a kick or a Thai clinch. Best example of this is Rampage Jackson. he has great boxing defence. but he has fought and lost devastatingly now, twice to Wanderlei Silva who is a Thai style fighter. Silva has good hands, nothing special but he has an AWESOME Thai clinch. The second Jackson ducks his head, which is great boxign defence, he effectively handed the Thai clinch on a platter to Silva who held his head and kneed his face until he got the KO. It's a different ballgame tbh. but yes I agree, a lot of untechnical brawlers in MMA. They're usually the grapplers.

Ya, I don't really watch enough MMA to know that kind of stuff,
    but some stuff just kind of confused me from watching boxing. Like, this video is pretty cool;

That power punch is unbelievable if you connected with it, but he is completely leaving his defense down, his whole body is vulnerable, so a good boxer would probably take advantage of that. Im sure some UFC fighters would cream him if he let himself that open in a fight too right? It seems from that clip that he is emphasising a good offense instead of defense. Is that with most MMA?

I am getting much more into UFC now though, really enjoyable. I'm gonna leave the comparisons with boxing at home though, I'm sure you get annoyed with people like me saying all this stuff when they don't really understand the sport.
    Lyoto Machida. People complain that he's boring but his defence is unreal. his ability to hit and not be hit is amazing. Unfortunately that style is not too exciting to the average punter. IMO he should be next for Forrest given he's undefeated, but excitement wins the day, so Rashad Evans gets the next shot, go figure.

Problem with the smaller gloves is that it negates a lot of blocking so for MMA the 2 best fors of defence are: Don't get hit, and attack first!

I'll have a look out for him, I really enjoy watching fighters who have a good defense, I'll prob start doing some sort of boxing/ MMA discipline in the future, and I'd love to be good a reading punches and defending. Easier said than done I know.

Edit- I made 2000 posts a while ago and didn't notice. FAIL...

I dunno man, I think light heavyweight is my favourite weight class, they have all the knockout power and the speed and technique. Plus, my natural weight would be somewhere between light heavy and super middle. :pac:

Me too. My frame is best suited to weighing aroun 96-97 kgs and cutting to 93. Unfortunately laziness and injuries mean I'm in with tthe heavies this weekend :(

That power punch is unbelievable if you connected with it, but he is completely leaving his defense down, his whole body is vulnerable, so a good boxer would probably take advantage of that. Im sure some UFC fighters would cream him if he let himself that open in a fight too right? It seems from that clip that he is emphasising a good offense instead of defense. Is that with most MMA?

Funny u use Chuck as the example. Chucks KO'd dudes for years on the back of his unusually powerrful hands. however, Rampage owned him twice using crisper boxing. In his last fight he suffered one of the worst KO's I've evr seen at the hands of Rashad Evans.....why? becasue he thhrew a power uppercut and left his chin exposed and got minced on the counter. Chucks best matchup is against a grappler. Chuck is so good at not being taken down, and he carries so much power that he was a force for years. he also had a granite chin. But Rampage seems to have broken his chin. Chuck is 1-3 in his last 4 now. He's been figured out.
    I am getting much more into UFC now though, really enjoyable. I'm gonna leave the comparisons with boxing at home though, I'm sure you get annoyed with people like me saying all this stuff when they don't really understand the sport.

You should keep watchin it. You learn as you go. I got into it from doing JiuJitsu but its great, my mates who've never trained talk to me about armbars and triangle chokes!! Tis class!

Check out Fedor. he's the absolute best in MMA. Heavyweight too! His fight with Tim Sylvia makes me :) Himself, BJ PEnn, GSP and Anderson Silva are just awesome-o!

EDIT: Awesome on the 2k posts! :)

Boss in in now and hovering :(

EDIT: Awesome on the 2k posts! :)
    noob.jpg

Boss in in now and hoovering :(

Hoovering?

What a strange thing to be doing, is the noise not wrecking your head?

LOL at my typowning myself!! Meant to say hovering. im not editing that tho, cos its funny!

• Advertisement

LOL at my typowning myself!! Meant to say hovering. im not editing that tho, cos its funny!

You didn't typeown yourself.

I think someone has left their job or something.

No threads here about it though.

ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

You didn't typeown yourself.

I think someone has left their job or something.

No threads here about it though.

ffs.

lol was just wondering how many threads will be started about it

KevIRL wrote: »
    lol was just wondering how many threads will be started about it

Up to six now.

Dave!'s is the bets but.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

These are hilarious:

That ante up clip is quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Lads/lasses.

Can anyone think of laptop-related accessories/add-ons that would make a good Christmas present for someone who just got a new laptop?

A bag? A mouse? Joypad for gaming? Wedcam?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Wedcam?

me and pfb met on Boards, so we'll be having a boards wedding.

Photography forum doing the photos.

A band from the music forum.

Some Food&Drink posters doing the food.

Someone from one of the religious forums doing the ceremony.

You get the jist of it.

If you lads want, we'll set up a Wedcam for the OTT.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lads/lasses.

Can anyone think of laptop-related accessories/add-ons that would make a good Christmas present for someone who just got a new laptop?

in the 2e shop on oliver plunkett st you can get a bendy usb powered light, for shining on your keyboard. Pretty handy and only a couple euro's, nice little extra.

in the 2e shop on oliver plunkett st you can get a bendy usb powered light, for shining on your keyboard. Pretty handy and only a couple euro's, nice little extra.

I got s USB fan for mine in the summer.

The bendy part is crap though, it keeps falling down.

I'd imagine the light is the same.

It's the same shop.

• Advertisement

So she said yes then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

You get the jist of it.

Someone from Body Mod to do matching tattoos? :D Y'know, something like this:

tattoo_fail.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

You get the jist of it.

Did you pop the big question or is this 'in your dreams'..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I got s USB fan for mine in the summer.

The bendy part is crap though, it keeps falling down.

I'd imagine the light is the same.

It's the same shop.

i got the light myself, haven't used it a whole lot, but its worked fine whenever i have.

So, anyway, yes, marriage eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Whats the craic everyone.
    Went into town to get my xmas present.
    Except Fabregas is the only name you can get on the back of the away jersey. Feckin ridiculous, they only have his typeblock... :(

Also I'm fecking wrecked after last nights retarded caffeine buzz...

Frisbee wrote: »
    Except Fabregas is the only name you can get on the back of the away jersey. Feckin ridiculous, they only have his typeblock... :(

I think you should reconsider! A jersey with the name on back is for 10 year olds!! Unless its a present or for playing in!

But mainly, like Yorkies, it's not for girls!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Frisbee wrote: »

That's Gay. Fabregas isn't even any good. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Very true,woman should only wear football jerseys when a)playing football or b)going to bed and in this situation it must be the only item of clotting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

haven't really been online the last couple of days, can someone PM me what the plan is with the SSF/XBox360 plan?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I think you should reconsider! A jersey with the name on back is for 10 year olds!! Unless its a present or for playing in!

How is it for 10 year olds?
    If I buy a jersey I always get a name printed on the back. Hate jerseys's without a name on them, the back just looks silly...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement