Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread III : Off Topic-er

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I think we need to push the GAE forum it has become very quite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Des wrote: »
    Why did Virgin change to Zavvi?

As far as I know there was a management buy-out of Irish/UK branches, and they wanted to rebrand.

Getting the run-around from a shop regarding an expensive gift two days before Christmas sucks balls. Drinks shall be had tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Getting the run-around from a shop regarding an expensive gift two days before Christmas sucks balls.
    Fúckers.

Staying in tonight, big night tomorrow.

Off work at 5, then head back to me apartment to get changed/showered.

Up to the mother's for some food, then head to the parents of a mate who died a few years ago to have a few drinks with them for Xmas (I'm a fúcker though, the only time I ever see them is XMas eve, and his birthday/anniversary of death (both around the same time), then off to the boozer for the evening).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well i had an interesting night on Saturday which has resulted in me having to do all my christmass shopping in a big dash on christmass eve. not going to be fun at all :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Evening folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

evening Mr Dub13.

did we ever establish who that Stacksie lad was earlier?

I liked him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

then head to the parents of a mate who died a few years ago to have a few drinks with them for Xmas (I'm a fúcker though, the only time I ever see them is XMas eve, and his birthday/anniversary of death (both around the same time), then off to the boozer for the evening).

Still, that's a pretty daycent thing to do. Imagine it's a tough time of year for their them, so I am sure they appreciate it. I know I would.

You heading to Harry's Des tomorrow evening?
    Dub13 wrote: »
    Evening folks.

Evening boss-man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Just saw Disturbia, Sarah Roemer is probably my perfect girl ever..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just in from work. Much longer in there and I would have bludgeoned someone to death with a bottle of wine...

Thank god it's xmas eve tomo. Gonna get smashed, I could hardly stand leaving work last xmas eve. Off at 8 then straight into the boozer

You heading to Harry's Des tomorrow evening?

No effin way man, it'll be jammers.

Do you know The Goblet?

I'll be in there.

Mornin' Folks.

ONE MORE SLEEP TIL SANTY!!!! :D:D

santa-reading283746234.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How do folks.

Just pushin dinner time here so off around the aunty and uncle's for a slap up meal and a 6 pack of cold beers. Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

morning chaps.

nearly there now, all getting excited?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    morning chaps.

nearly there now, all getting excited?

Excited about having a hangover from hell tomorrow.

HELL YES!!!!:P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my god it is so depressing here today

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yup. Depressomatic in here too.

And our family have decided it's midnight mass tonight so no getting stonked for me this evening after work. :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, i have to drive home from work, so no drinking for me this evening

And our family have decided it's midnight mass tonight so no getting stonked for me this evening after work. :mad:

Just don't go to mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Or at least bring a hip flask with you

Just don't go to mass.
    I go for my Mum mostly. I only g for the big 4; Christmas, weddings, funerals, christenings.

• Advertisement

Can you negotiate an earlier mass?

I go for my Mum mostly. I only g for the big 4; Christmas, weddings, funerals, christenings.

Scratch Xmas off that list for me.

Man, I hate mass.

It's funny at weddings, funerals, christenings though, loads of people who don't normally go, all looking at the old women out of the corner of their eyes, looking for the cues as to stand, sit or kneel at the appropriate time.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Man, I hate mass.

It's funny at weddings, funerals, christenings though, loads of people who don't normally go, all looking at the old women out of the corner of their eyes, looking for the cues as to stand, sit or kneel at the appropriate time.

Tell me about it. I do be up and down like a yo-yo, having no idea what i'm at. Those oul ones perform with military precision

Aye and there's always one lad who is obviously daydreaming (or perving) and ends up standing up when everyone else is sat down. Then whoever is beside him drags him down.

Morning lads.

I effin hate Dunnes :mad::mad::mad:

Bunch of fcukin 3.gif Myself, and a fair few other customers, we're very close to having our collective falling down moments.

Morning lads.

I effin hate Dunnes :mad::mad::mad:

Bunch of fcukin 3.gif Myself, and a fair few other customers, we're very close to having our collective falling down moments.

which dunnes, and why?

• Advertisement

which dunnes, and why?

The one up in Donna.

At about 9.40 they made the first announcement that all booze had to be paid for before 10. Cue ridiculous lines forming, and people having to scramble through their trolley's to get the booze out. Not one staff member organized any of these q's, and then bang on 10, they said no more booze would be taken for, even though they let people Q for 20+ mins.

My main gripe was that A) Tesco's last year used a bit of fcukin cop, and rang things through until about 10.15, giving everyone who had Q'd a chance. And B) That no one was policing or organizing the Q's. They knew full well that they would stop at 10 at the button, but let people, they knew wouldn't get served, Q for a good 20 mins.

The fact that they have the Offo right at the front of the shop, knowing that people will chuck the booze in the trolley first, and let everything go on top of it, is another cnut's trick, if they knew they we're going to be so rigid with the rules.

Originally, I had said to the auld lad that we should go to Tesco's Clarehall, as it's generally a bit quiter there, and the layout of the store is very good for nipping around quickly. He insisted that we go to Dunnes, because in this climate, he wanted to support an Irish company. After the whole debacle, he mentioned this story to one of the Dunnes managers, and said that they had made it very hard for him to support an Irish company, and that he would have to think twice about doing it again. Not that that means much to them probably, but with retail the way it is, stores really need to start treating their customers a bit better. Gone are the days when they can wallet rape you, and expect you to be grateful for it.

I know it's all only over a bit of booze, but the sheer inefficiency of Dunnes, and their drone like attitude about it all, really riled myself, and many others, that we're there last night.

I realise that half the blame lies with that bunch of corrupt/incompetent/useless lot in the Dail, who enacted such shortsighted legislation, which 'Forbids' me to purchase something I am legally allowed to consume.

Cnuts, the lot of them.

er.

why the fúck were you leaving it until that time to buy booze?

it was open all day, and is open today as well.

er.

why the fúck were you leaving it until that time to buy booze?

it was open all day, and is open today as well.

Don't you feckin start. :mad:

Because I have been working all week/xmas shopping, and so was the auld lad. There's a tradition in our family where (even though the mammy does the shop all year round) myself and himself do the big Christmas shop (Om nom nom). We usually do it on the 23rd, as the 24th is taken up with other sh/t. We've never had a problem like this before.

I wasn't expecting them to keep serving till 11 or so, but someone should have had the foresight to organize it all a bit better. Like I said, Tesco's rang stuff through till about 10.15, after cutting off people joining the Q. at around the 10 mark. They also played loud and frequent announcements from about 8 that this would be the case. Dunnes first announcement came just after 9.40.

Don't you feckin start. :mad:

I'm sorry, but :confused:

YOU know the alcohol laws.

Why do you expect Dunnes to break the law, just because Tesco do?

Why do you expect announcements as to what time they are stopping the sale of alcohol, when you already know the answer? Do you, or your dad, not own a watch, or some other timepiece?

No, this is your own fault entirely.

No sympathy.

Are you suggesting to me that you had no other free night in the last, say, month in which to go and do a shop?

There have been evenings that you've spent on this very thread all evening.

It's Dunne's fault that you have a family tradition of leaving things until the last minute, is it?

:)

Yup. Depressomatic in here too.

Hahah, I remember when my mom took me to mass in my early years, and then gave me the option of choosing my own religious belief system. Since then mass has taken a back seat in my life, and only recently I was reminded that so many people actually have to get up early every sunday of the year. It's dreadfully inconvenient really.

Man, I hate mass.

That's me. I'm an atheist, but I go to funerals, weddings and christenings to pay respect and show my support for people I know and can see with my eyes.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, but :confused:

YOU know the alcohol laws.

Why do you expect Dunnes to break the law, just because Tesco do?

Why do you expect announcements as to what time they are stopping the sale of alcohol, when you already know the answer? Do you, or your dad, not own a watch, or some other timepiece?

No, this is your own fault entirely.

No sympathy.

Are you suggesting to me that you had no other free night in the last, say, month in which to go and do a shop?

There have been evenings that you've spent on this very thread all evening.

It's Dunne's fault that you have a family tradition of leaving things until the last minute, is it?

You're not Ben Dunne's secret lovechild or something are you?

I am sure Dunnes have 'bent' the law many a time when it has suited them. Bottom line it's not like they would ever be hauled off to the courts for selling Booze a few mins past 10 on one of the shopping night of the year. A bit of common sense and decency was all that was being asked for.

The licensing laws only changed recently, and this is the first year people have had to adapt to them when doing the Christmas shop. Yes, we both own timepieces, but would it really of hurt Dunnes to make it clear that Booze stopped at 10. FFS, we are all used to getting a few pints after 'official last orders'. It would have saved both them and alot of customers alot of hassle.

Like I said, they we're freely allowing people to chuck booze straight into the trolley as they came in, without paying for it there and then. Surely, someone in management could have foreseen that that would cause a hassle if they we're going to enforce the laws to the button.

Yes, I am suggesting to you we had no other free night to do it. Without getting into it, because of an illness in our family, my dad's free time in the evenings is very limited. The 23rd is always the day we set aside for it.

Dunnes is ****. Liquor laws are ****. having no free time at this time of year when you need it most is ****. Let's leave it at that lads.

As for the mass thing - I only go because my Mum wants me to. She loves the carol singing and the way they do the churches up nice at this time of year so she likes it when she get's the whole family together so if I go it's really going for her - 60 mins of my time means a lot more to her so....

On a brighter note, churches this time of year are full of wimmins in their nice dresses. So not all bad.

On a brighter note, churches this time of year are full of wimmins in their nice dresses. So not all bad.

Yeah but, it's kinda difficult to stand up for the "Our Father" whilst sporting a boner.

And I don't want to even mention the last time I got a boner in a church. :(

Yeah but, it's kinda difficult to stand up for the "Our Father" whilst sporting a boner.

And I don't want to even mention the last time I got a boner in a church. :(
    lol

It would have to be SOME dress for me to be getting a public boner. And I imagine not one I'd normally see if church.

Public Boners happen to me the whole time.

Especially on the bus.

Rare enough do I get a public boner these days. Although I'm rarely on public transport or that these days.

Restaurant boners are common however, all those hot little waitresses with their suggestive food serving technique. Dirty bitches...

Rare enough do I get a public boner these days. Although I'm rarely on public transport or that these days.

Restaurant boners are common however, all those hot little waitresses with their suggestive food serving technique. Dirty bitches...
    I was in an Italian place on Saturday evening, and the waitress was well sexy.

Kept trying to get a peep down her top without the missus copping what I was doing :D

I'm awful for that. The amount of times I'm caught staring at a waitresses arse when she's reaching over tables wiping them down.

The missus has more or less just got to the stage where she knows its something about me she will never be able to change.

just in case i dont get on here tonight or tomorrow, happy christmas & i hope you all have a good one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Mr Alan wrote: »
    just in case i dont get on here tonight or tomorrow, happy christmas & i hope you all have a good one.

The same to you and yours....and play safe.

• Advertisement

i always do :D

Cheers Al. Merry Christmas to you too.

Merry Christmas Alan mate, you aint been around enough lately tbqfh... :pac: Have a good day and try not to get too **** faced tonight....

****ing sick as a dog so dont think i'll be going out tonight at all tbh :(

probably for the best tbh ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

****ing sick as a dog so dont think i'll be going out tonight at all tbh :(

probably for the best tbh ;)
    I am alright now, had a mare of a day at work though, could hardly see and had to finish writing a bloody document for baseline today.

Super.

Let's leave it at that lads.

Wise words from the Eskimo.

Public Boners happen to me the whole time.

Especially on the bus.

I suffer from this affliction also, particulalry on buses. Have to use that auld belt buckle trick.

And to you to Al.

Story lads,

I'm just sittin here watchin some youtube live music and having a nice can o beer (tuborg) before I head out tonight.

Just wanted to wish ya's all a very Merry Christmas. Hope everyone has a great couple of days.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Story lads,

I'm just sittin here watchin some youtube live music and having a nice can o beer (tuborg) before I head out tonight.

Just wanted to wish ya's all a very Merry Christmas. Hope everyone has a great couple of days.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And to you good sir. Heading out myself at 7. Love an xmas pint, nothing like it.

• Advertisement

Lads, have a great night and be safe. Hopefully I'll be back here in a few hours with a similar post, but much more slurred :P

Merry Christmas Off-Topic!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement