Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i105-107 launch tonight!

• 24-11-2008 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

The new "super regional" youth oriented radio station for the North East of Ireland, i105-107 (sister station to the North-West's i102-104, based in Gawlay) launches tonight (just about 40 mins from now, in fact)...

Should certainly be interesting! Best of luck to all the 'i' crew in Athlone.

More at: www.i105107.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Bard wrote: »
    The new "super regional" youth oriented radio station for the North East of Ireland, i105-107 (sister station to the North-West's i102-104, based in Gawlay) launches tonight (just about 40 mins from now, in fact)...

Should certainly be interesting! Best of luck to all the 'i' crew in Athlone.

More at: www.i105107.ie

Good luck!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The live launch can be watched here:

http://www.i105107.ie/livelaunch/index.html

Kiss 106 (Dundalk and Northeast)

Energy Radio 99.2 FM (Navan and Meath)

Storm 106.2 (Northeast)

Pulse 107FM (Northeast)

... and that other one in Trim... on Longwave..?

All youth stations from the Northeast for real!

Major respect to those who laid the foundations for this youth licence to come about in the first place. What a pity it was not there over seven years ago around the time Red FM launched in Cork. It will be interesting to see how most of the lineup not from the TSA relates to people in counties, Cavan,Monaghan,Louth and Meath? And also how a station this size will sustain revenue in 2009 and pull listeners from all the Dublin stations who already dominate in Meath and as far down as south Cavan anyway? Is the market big enough for it to work? A good question! :cool:

Storm 106.2 (Northeast)

Oh it's 107.0FM now, but we're not allowed talk about that... they're not responsible for unauthorised 're-broadcasts' of their web stream, you know ;)

oh... okay, the web site is live now... the station goes live in 1 hour from now ;) (8.30pm, Irish time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Didn't start til around 8:50pm. Which is tres odd.

But good luck to them, I shall listen in. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Well, that was fun. Especially the bit where Hector's face spontaneously burst into flames.

May not actually have happened. Apologies for crappy phone camera.

Bard wrote: »
    Oh it's 107.0FM now, but we're not allowed talk about that... they're not responsible for unauthorised 're-broadcasts' of their web stream, you know ;)

"i" would not have any idea what you would be on about.:cool:

Onikage wrote: »
    Well, that was fun. Especially the bit where Hector's face spontaneously burst into flames.

May not actually have happened. Apologies for crappy phone camera.

"i" just wonder did the person with the cast on their wrist sitting in front of you at the launch that looked more like a community fashion show stage get up (get well soon by the way - ouch!) get their plastercast signed by Tommy and Hector?

What is gas that like myself they are two Navanmen born and bred just like Pierce Brosnan and well, me come to think of it although I was born in a Dublin Hospital not "Draw-eda" .. but I dare say the place has changed from Tommy and Hector's days in "The Pats". My cousin was in the same class as Tommy... way back in the day - back in 'nam! They too will have to realise that the station apart from their own involvement bears little or no relation to places like Dundalk, Drogheda or Navan.. and who is to be accountable for it being a Northeast station for Northeast people the way that Red in Cork is plenty Red and Cool FM in Belfast is very Belfast etc? I'd like to see some of them off i radio walk into The Valley in Navan and ask for a Snack Box with breast of Chicken and be understood, and more to the point understand what is then said back to them?! lol

There are quite a few sad and disappointed people tonight all over the Northeast asking themselves.. "Is this really the Youth station we fought for?" Youth radio has always been strong in The Northeast (proper) with both Radio Caroline and Atlantic 252 being born from Louth and Meath in the 60's to the 80's and even Radio Exidy being the big part of The Great Irish Radio Experiment that was set to be based at Mosney, Co.Meath...

I still think that those that want to listen to the Dublin stations will, and will keep on listening to them. The beauty of radio from the Northeast was that it was always for the people by the people and very public in it's image and open and transparent.. the best example being Radio Carousel's Navan and Dundalk studios in the Shopping Centres..

Ah well, i radio, it won't bring back Atlantic 252 nor will it ever have the massive impact on Europe or the Northeast that that station had, and still has in people's recent memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

You're absolutely right in what you say Enda. Not to be nosy but would you not have been approached by them? Its your old living area and theres nobody in the area that knows more about CHR. Personally, I would of liked to hear yourself and Greg on the new I

"i" just wonder did the person with the cast on their wrist sitting in front of you at the launch that looked more like a community fashion show stage get up (get well soon by the way - ouch!) get their plastercast signed by Tommy and Hector?

What is gas that like myself they are two Navanmen born and bred just like Pierce Brosnan and well, me come to think of it although I was born in a Dublin Hospital not "Draw-eda" .. but I dare say the place has changed from Tommy and Hector's days in "The Pats". My cousin was in the same class as Tommy... way back in the day - back in 'nam! They too will have to realise that the station apart from their own involvement bears little or no relation to places like Dundalk, Drogheda or Navan.. and who is to be accountable for it being a Northeast station for Northeast people the way that Red in Cork is plenty Red and Cool FM in Belfast is very Belfast etc? I'd like to see some of them off i radio walk into The Valley in Navan and ask for a Snack Box with breast of Chicken and be understood, and more to the point understand what is then said back to them?! lol

There are quite a few sad and disappointed people tonight all over the Northeast asking themselves.. "Is this really the Youth station we fought for?" Youth radio has always been strong in The Northeast (proper) with both Radio Caroline and Atlantic 252 being born from Louth and Meath in the 60's to the 80's and even Radio Exidy being the big part of The Great Irish Radio Experiment that was set to be based at Mosney, Co.Meath...

I still think that those that want to listen to the Dublin stations will, and will keep on listening to them. The beauty of radio from the Northeast was that it was always for the people by the people and very public in it's image and open and transparent.. the best example being Radio Carousel's Navan and Dundalk studios in the Shopping Centres..

Ah well, i radio, it won't bring back Atlantic 252 nor will it ever have the massive impact on Europe or the Northeast that that station had, and still has in people's recent memories...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

That is the issue, the Dublin stations swamp the dial in most of Louth and Meath. They have their work cut out in getting people to switch. They will have to spend time on the streets and clubs trying to get people to turn the dial. Its a contributing issue for LMFM, always near the bottom of the JNLR's.

I have a feeling that if the station was based in Louth or Meath, or (imo) in the heart of the franchise region in Cavan or Mullingar, that there would be a local connection, but as its based in Athlone, which is closer to Galway than to (koff) naaaavan, that for a regional station its a bit far away. Same I suppose with i102-104 for people in Donegal.

Manimal wrote: »
    You're absolutely right in what you say Enda. Not to be nosy but would you not have been approached by them? Its your old living area and theres nobody in the area that knows more about CHR. Personally, I would of liked to hear yourself and Greg on the new I

By jove old chap it is rare that anyone ever says anything nice to / about me on here.. think I'll have to print your post off and frame it as a reminder that the world is still a good place!

No, "i" was not "approached" by "i" but this is probably more to do with the big problem from the start they had with staffing problems that delayed their launch that were attributable to this.. but I hear that at least of those internal issues have been removed thankfully!

Thank you!

(I'd personally love to have heard old Greggy boy gettin' his c**k out all over the Northeast.. and introducing them to phrases like "it's 8.21 and if you're just pulling back the beef curtains this morning - GOOOOD MORNING!.." lol What a legend!! )

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

DMC wrote: »
    I have a feeling that if the station was based in Louth or Meath, or (imo) in the heart of the franchise region in Cavan or Mullingar, that there would be a local connection, but as its based in Athlone, which is closer to Galway than to (koff) naaaavan, that for a regional station its a bit far away. Same I suppose with i102-104 for people in Donegal.

Curiously (or maybe not), i102104 seems to be quite popular in Donegal. Not that there's much choice (Ocean still doesn't seem to know what direction it's taking).

The likes of that "Thief" thing they had going had the county going mad when the Thief was about Donegal Town and Letterkenny, with people running around the place asking randomers if they were the i102104 thief!

Only downside is that here, their broadcasts are somewhat weaker than the nationals and Ocean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

byte wrote: »
    Curiously (or maybe not), i102104 seems to be quite popular in Donegal. Not that there's much choice (Ocean still doesn't seem to know what direction it's taking).

The likes of that "Thief" thing they had going had the county going mad when the Thief was about Donegal Town and Letterkenny, with people running around the place asking randomers if they were the i102104 thief!

Only downside is that here, their broadcasts are somewhat weaker than the nationals and Ocean.

Lets be honest, I102-104 do know how to get publicity. They work hard for their listenership but they still only have 2 decent shows, Tommy and Hector and Igohome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd have thought even in south county that Highland would be more popular than Ocean anyway? Barring the occasional spurt of caring Ocean frequently seem to forget they have the franchise for South Donegal at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

A while back, my auld lad was in Galway for a day and his head was wrecked by people asking him if he was the i102 thief. He hadnt a clue what they were on about and thought they were accusing him of stealing something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNW2w7-Y_j4

Christ almighty. No doubt the show is even less funny than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dukewiley

Hi Enda, I usually don't get involved but since this is a debate.....How can you say the following??

“It will be interesting to see how most of the line up not from the TSA relates to people in counties, Cavan,Monaghan,Louth and Meath?

That’s like saying "How could Chris Moyles from Leeds possibly relate to any listeners in London, like Yorkshire humour is so different to like London" Christ Enda he relates to about 800,000 of them a day. It's like saying "A girl from Limerick would never start seeing a lad from Navan sure ... how would they understand each other"

The point: if the product and content plus the presenter is interesting people will listen no matter where you are from...

Did you not learn that during your years in radio?? Was this not the advantage of 252 (well it did also help you couldn't get any decent chart music on Fm or any decent station at all in Ireland reception wise )

Your posts comes across as bitter Enda, I'm sorry it does...

And finally :D I never laughed as much when I saw news of Storms "i" boycott... well... they better hurry up because word has it Comreg have bought some lovely new 2009 diaries.... the really nice leather ones with the gold writing..... and they are marking some nice dates for the new year.... oh and by all accounts it’s not like a filo fax one, its a big one with lots of space and we all know what that means.... Ho Ho Ho

Maybe when that happens Storm can try and boycott i105-107's webstream...

Have a lovely Christmas Enda....

Duke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Yeah...nice work lads...the broadcast on 104.7 is totally bleeding over into BBC4. I'm sure I won't be the only one writing into COMREG about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Yeah...nice work lads...the broadcast on 104.7 is totally bleeding over into BBC4. I'm sure I won't be the only one writing into COMREG about this.

Why waste your time?:confused:

i on 104.7 is licenced in the Republic, BBC is not.

But if it makes you feel better......go ahead. It won't get you anywhere.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

Are you listening in Dublin (assumption from your user name)?

If so, fair ****s to you for being able to pull in the Beeb on 104.7 (isn't that meant to be a low powered relay) but say goodbye to them because iRadio are using the same channel from Saggart.

Try picking up the Beeb down further or even use the old cable system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

There's no point moaning to any station about what frequency they're on, the stations have no choice.

Frequencies and power levels are allocated to them by Comreg via the BCI.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Waste of time contacting ComReg mate - this is deliberate. When the DAB Trials by RTE started in 2006, they completely wiped out my ScoreNI DAB Reception from NI - I enclose below the responce I got from ComReg at that time......
    Further to your enquiry, you will find a detailed answer to your query below.

The DAB test/trial currently operated by RTE is licensed by ComReg under the test and trial licensing scheme. The DAB frequency allocations made at a European planning conference in 1995 for nationwide use in IRL are frequency blocks 12A and 12C. The frequency blocks allocated for use in Northern Ireland are 12B and 12D.

Experience in London has shown that DAB signals on adjacent frequency blocks must differ in strength by no more than 100 times the power, or in technical terms 20dB, in order for reception of both signals to be possible.

It is therefore not surprising that Mr. xxx, who lives very close to the RTE Clermont Carn transmitter, has discovered that reception from NI is no longer possible when adjacent channel services are transmitted from Clermont Carn.

BBC and ScoreNI Digital radio services are services originate in the UK and provided within the UK. Reception of such services in IRL is not an entitlement.

In the digital era it is expected that all frequencies will be used in all countries to the maximum possible extent. It is therefore anticipated that reception of TV and radio from other countries will become a rare possibility. The maximisation of frequency use is in line with efficient and effective use of the radio spectrum.

In order for Mr. xxx to continue to receive UK DAB services, the BBC and ScoreNI digital services would need to be transmitted from Clermont Carn with one hundredth the power (20dB less ERP) of the IRL DAB signals. A corollary would apply to reception of IRL DAB in Northern Ireland.

Where there is demand for more radio services to be provided, constraining the availability of Irish radio services in order to maintain reception of UK services simply cannot be sustained. Choices have to be made between the provision of additional radio services within Ireland and protection of reception of services from outside Ireland.

Due to the demand for further radio services in Dublin, it is expected within the coming years that VHF FM radio services will be licensed in Dublin on frequencies adjacent to those transmitted from Divis near Belfast. This will preclude reception of these weak signals in the Dublin area. However it is considered that most households can receive UK radio services by digital satellite or cable.

Radio services from the UK are available on the Astra Satellite at 28 degree East (as used by the SKY digital service). It is recommended that Mr. xxx use this satellite service to receive UK radio services.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I was searching my car radio on friday for something decent and this came up! its really class so I have it stored on the dial. Best of luck with it lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

This might interest some people.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055432531

Net1 broadband interfered with by new transmitter on Mt Oriel.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    This might interest some people.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055432531

Net1 broadband interfered with by new transmitter on Mt Oriel.

Ah now, be careful of your wording, that implies that the i transmitter was faulty in some way.

The Net1 operator has gone to pains to point out that the iRadio transmitter is operating fully within its licence conditions; It is merely its proximity to his equipment, which was not designed to be immune to a high RF field, that is causing the problem.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I find that Net1 thing interesting. How were they surviving with LMFM all these years at 10kW I believe?? I thought this new radio station was on a different mast to the Net1 mast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Has anybody listened to their breakfast show with Keith Walsh (Of "Joe and Keith" Fame)?

Can you pick it up at all in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Fago_25 wrote: »
    Has anybody listened to their breakfast show with Keith Walsh (Of "Joe and Keith" Fame)?

I heard it briefly in Drumcondra last week, to be honest I didn't think much of it, but it really was only briefly. I quite liked the spin show, so was a bit disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I've been listening to the breakfast show now for the last week or two.

Have to say I like it. Never liked the one on Spin, but I'm finding the new pairing on i105 to be rather funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll get 104.7 in quite a few bits of Dublin, need a better idea where you are to see if you'll get it (or other transmitters).

The breakfast show isn't as good as Breakfast Xpress was on Spin, if thats any indication...

I find that Net1 thing interesting. How were they surviving with LMFM all these years at 10kW I believe?? I thought this new radio station was on a different mast to the Net1 mast.

It is; i105107 transmits from its own mast.

Net1 is on a mast about 150m away.

All the masts on Oriel are quite close to each other.

A.

Don't go TOO far east in Dublin and you can pick it up on 104.7FM (south side) and 105.0FM (north side)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

mick_irl wrote: »
    I've been listening to the breakfast show now for the last week or two.

Have to say I like it. Never liked the one on Spin, but I'm finding the new pairing on i105 to be rather funny!

I like it too. The two work very well together. They settled in to it instantly and hopefully it will continue that way!

To be honest, it's the only bit of programming on there I like.

Haven't heard much of Nadia, but any time I have heard her she seems to be tripping over her own words, and generally not making much sense.

The Bowman chap in the afternoon comes across as extremely opinionated and has no chemistry with his co-host. Those "i" quotes he comes out with are irritating too.

Drivetime is the polar opposite of the sister stations "i go home" a lot of music, and not much else to it really.

I know it's early days, but the programming is fairly weak, apart from the decent breakfast show.

EDIT: the irish speaking chart show is a carbon copy of 102-104's and is well done also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I find it surprising that Tommy and Hector present two different shows for the two i stations, a mid morning show for i105107 and a weekend drivetime show for i102104, and it seems they make the trip from Athlone to Galway every time. You would think they would similcast theit show from 1 studio or the other.

• Advertisement

The BCI wouldn't let them network the show.

The guys do both shows from Galway.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

I haven't had a chance to listen to this station yet....any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

mcscrub wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to listen to this station yet....any good?

http://www.i105107.ie/main/

Tune in yourself and let us know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

Thanks Mick.

Advertisement