Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email servers rejecting BCC field?

Options
  • 24-11-2008 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to send a press release to about 40 contacts recently.

Rather than emailing them individually, I tried to be clever and just use the BCC field of the email to put the list of recipients into so it looked like they were being emailed individually.

A handful of the contacts I spoke to today told me they never got the email. I tried testing this by sending the same email to two of my accounts on my own domain via the BCC field and it didn't work - I never received the test email.

What I'm suspecting is is that the majority of email servers are using a form of spam filter that blocks external email from being delivered if the address is the BCC field.

Am I correct in this assumption or am I just being paranoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

What I'm suspecting is is that the majority of email servers are using a form of spam filter that blocks external email from being delivered if the address is the BCC field.

Am I correct in this assumption or am I just being paranoid?

Some mail servers do indead refuse mail if recipient is a bcc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Some mail servers do indead refuse mail if recipient is a bcc.
    Many thanks....the tin-foil hat will remain firmly in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Some providers might limit the number of total recipients in a message. Even if you split them across CC, BCC and TO.

Try sending your mail in batches with 10 recipients each.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The receiving mail server doesn't really know about BCCing, only the sending mail server knows. It is of course possible for the receiving server to figure out because the recipient's name isn't in the "To" line. Some places will prevent too many from being BCCed, others will prevent you from having only people on the BCC Line and no-one in the "To" line.

I know exchange server in particular, if you submit an external mail with no-one in the To line, will put the name of the first BCCed person into that line and send the mail to everyone.

Advertisement