Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked Ham

• 24-11-2008 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi anyone know how to go about baking ham plainly, any recipes i've seen use mustard, honey, cider,spices etc. I dont want it sweet. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I bake a whole ham every Christmas, it takes around 5 - 51/2 hours at 180C. I soak it in water for a couple of hours first, then put it in a tin which has been double lined in tinfoil, with enough to come up and cover the ham loosely. It's 20 minutes per pound of ham plus an extra 20 minutes.
    You'll know it's done when the rind pulls off easily.
    I take off the rind, then score the fat and put breadcrumbs on top, then put it back into the oven for half an hour. This is just to make it look nice though. A plain baked ham is lovely, and if you cook a whole ham you can carve up what you don't use and the slices freeze very successfully.

Edit: Fillets of ham take longer per pound to cook than whole hams. If you're cooking a fillet it will take 30 minutes per pound and 30 minutes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hufflepuff

Dizzyblonde thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

question on baking ham - does it result in a saltier ham than boiling, then putting in oven to glaze? I have always cooked it by boiling to reduce the saltiness, but like the drier texture of baked...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Nowadays ham tends to be low-salt, but I still soak it for a couple of hours anyway before baking it. It also keeps it moist because it dehydrates a bit in the curing process.
    Doing it this way I've never had an overly-salty ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

What is the main difference between boiling, then drying off/glazing in oven and soaking, then cooking entirely in oven? Does it improve the flavour, or is it more the texture (slightly drier)? You've got me thinking now......!

• Advertisement

For me it's both the texture and flavour - you just can't beat baked ham. It really works best with a whole ham, in my opinion. Small hams can't really be baked without boiling first because they go too dry.
    Baked ham freezes very well when sliced up and then reheats well in the microwave for dinners, and I also cut thick slices to fry on the pan like gammon steaks :)

Advertisement