Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourtie Chapters/Sections

Options
  • 24-11-2008 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

What's your favourite part of the different subject courses? Is there one particular section that you love doing/are good at/find really interesting?

This all probably sounds dead nerdy, but I just thought this place could do with a positive thread. :)

I'll get the ball rolling, I really like Vectors! I think they're so much easier than other chapters of the HL Maths course, I had to practice the diagrams to get used to working out angles but once Igot it I found them all almost identical! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Statistics ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

the oral in irish.the easiest bit by far

oh and the heart and blood in biology.all the humanish chapters are easiest

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I LOVE trigonometry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I really like the whole DNA and Genetics part of biology.

Also Acids and Bases in Chemistry!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

oral in irish and german for me. we have fierce crack doing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Biology-Respiration, DNA etc.

Chemistry-Organic Chem.

Irish-Oral.

Religion-Philosophy.

Theyre my favourites, dont really like my other subjects all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

German oral
    Chemistry Organic Compounds

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Loved Calculus and Algebra on the HL Maths.

I was a big fan of genetics on the Biology course too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ElectroSpex

I enjoyed genetics and DNA in Biology. Also, Mozart in music, some of the irish essays (mainly because i have the most amazingly gifted teacher on the planet and she has turned us into machines).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hmm... well I'm a giant nerd, but from what I can remember...

Irish - tape, and reading comprehensions. I found the two pretty easy so they were fun enough.

Maths - everything and anything (except probabilty). Or rather, geometry in general (you know that question in the exam where you've to find the angle in the weird diagram, sometimes in 3d. that was good craic). Vectors were also fun. Since going to college, vectors have become something more of a bother, but they're still pretty handy. I also loved the Groups option, which sadly nobody does. It's so cool. As close to "pure" maths as the LC course gets, really.

Music - composing a bassline, harmony wise. Fun puzzle time.

Applied Maths - projectiles... or collisions... or differential equations. In fact, everything except for relative velocity, really. And statics. Statics blegh.

Physics - question 5 on the exam paper. You know, the short questions. A very easy question and not really a specific part of the course, but I always found it was a nice all-rounder question, and I usually looked forward to seeing what assortment of problems came up. Topics wise... it's hard to say (or remember), but weirdly enough I quite like electromagnetism. Mechanics was always a clear runner too, due to doing applied maths and all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

maths - algebra and vectors just cos they're doable!
    composing the bassline in music
    everything macro in economics
    I really like Macbeth for english
    and the practical part of art! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Loved History in the Leaving Cert - Modern European History is terrific. Irish History was alright, not much happening and some people say it's really boring but it's interesting. You like it even more in College for some reason that's far beyond me!

Certain aspects of Biology, Geography were okay too.

And pretty much most parts of English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Geography - I loved Physical: plate tectonics, volcanoes, Karst landscapes etc. Economic and Geoecology were pretty nice too. Regional was the only section I hated.

Maths - I LOVED probability & statistics - loads of people hate probability but I was actually good at it! I also quite liked sequences & series (although I flunked that question in my exam :()

Physics - My favourite was Modern Physics - atoms, electrons, particle physics. I always preferred that stuff to Mechanics, which I just found boring.

English - Loved poetry, liked Macbeth, hated everything else.

Biology - Genetics was my favourite, it was definitely the most interesting section. Hated ecology with a passion. :mad:

Irish/French - N/A. There was NOTHING enjoyable in those courses (apart from the hot French teaching assistant we had in 6th year! :pac:)

I also loved the Groups option, which sadly nobody does. It's so cool. As close to "pure" maths as the LC course gets, really.

Know of any online resources that cover, or just basically show/explain, the other 3 options? I'm interested in looking at them - and perhaps doing one; but I don't really want to go and buy the extra books. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

1,2-dimethylpentane draw that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I think I'm starting the like the Design question in Art(practical that is), 2 and a half hours as opposed to 5, but far less less work(and pressure!!) involved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Biology - Genetics was my favourite, it was definitely the most interesting section. Hated ecology with a passion. :mad:

Irish/French - N/A. There was NOTHING enjoyable in those courses (apart from the hot French teaching assistant we had in 6th year! :pac:)

+1

Except the hot french teaching assistant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I think I'm starting the like the Design question in Art(practical that is), 2 and a half hours as opposed to 5, but far less less work(and pressure!!) involved. :)

unless you do the poster and you get 5hrs to do it! cos it's a mistake :D

I found the 5 hour exam pretty grand actually, though I did calligraphy which was reasonably uninvolved, but you'd be surprised at how long 5 hours is. (Well, depends on how fast you work.)

-JammyDodger-: A poster here, MathsManiac possibly it was, very generously did up a website explaining the further Geometry section... I have it bookmarked, but not on this pc, so I'll have to get back to you about the link. The book I had for groups I got off my maths teacher, it was a Text & Tests type one, self-contained for the option, quite short. Maybe ask your teacher if they happen to have anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

unless you do the poster and you get 5hrs to do it! cos it's a mistake :D

What's a mistake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

oh gosh ..vectors..

could you tell me how could you figure out which way does da arrow go in a triangle..i just don't get it? lol:P

i personally like integration

i like unit 1, 2, 3 in business, marketing, expansion, ratio tests, insurance..them chapters

i like deprecation and flex budget in accounting

protein, fat, carbohydrates in home ec ..

~Candy~ wrote: »
    oh gosh ..vectors..

could you tell me how could you figure out which way does da arrow go in a triangle..i just don't get it? lol:P
    If you have vectors a and b, then the vector a + b is obtained by just putting the tip of a to the tail of b, and then drawing a line from the tail of a to the tip of b, if that makes sense. The new line is the vector (a + b), and is pointing in the direction you just drew it in (tail of a to tip of b etc.)
    That's the triangle rule for adding vectors.
    You can also use the paralellogram rule which is a bit different but gives you the same answer in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Irish - Oral
    English - Comparative Study
    Maths - Integration
    German - Oral
    Geography - Regional Geography
    Chemistry - Organic Chemistry
    Accounting - Final Accounts of a Limited Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Geography - I pretty much like whole of the first book (physicsal and regional) - it's easy and can be quite interesting.

Maths - Statistics

English - Enjoyed the film we studied (Inside I'm Dancing), watching The Crucible on DVD was a right laugh too.

Irish - the novel we read was funny at times, the class still gets a good laugh out of it. Oral isn't bad too.

Physics - Nothing in particular really.

Biology - Some of the human stuff is grand.

DCG (Tech Graph) - The whole course bar a few sections is pretty fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Jello wrote: »

Irish - the novel we read was funny at times, the class still gets a good laugh out of it.

What novel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Complex numbers have always been a bit of 'de craic'.

English - Composition.
    Maths - Calculus.
    Physics - Mechanics and atomic.
    Chemistry - Atomic theory stuff, and organic chemistry.
    App. Maths - Every single bit of it, especially differential equations.
    Geography - Hate it with a passion.
    DCG - All of it, especially interpenetration.
    Irish - None of it.

Thats about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Fad wrote: »
    What novel?

A Thig Ná Tit Orm :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My favourite part of Irish has to be An Triail. So scandalous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Piste wrote: »
    My favourite part of Irish has to be An Triail. So scandalous!

A few lads doing higher in my class are reading that at the moment, very scandalous. They should have an English version of it for English comparative!

Advertisement