Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exact details on the 1% tax and the parking space charges

Options
  • 24-11-2008 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Hey where can i find out information on these issues as they are both going to effect me alot.

Are they taxing everyone the 1% or is it only people making over x amount.

How about the 200euro parking tax. Ill be damned if im going to be paying that. If my work decides to give me a free parking space then im not going to be paying the government for it.
    Its a stupid unenforceable rule anyway. I mean do they plan on tracking every single worker to work to find out if they are parking or not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

How about the 200euro parking tax. Ill be damned if im going to be paying that. If my work decides to give me a free parking space then im not going to be paying the government for it.
    Its a stupid unenforceable rule anyway. I mean do they plan on tracking every single worker to work to find out if they are parking or not.
    The same way they find out who has company cars so they can levy BIK: they ask your employer. Your employer could lie on your behalf, but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The same way they find out who has company cars so they can levy BIK: they ask your employer. Your employer could lie on your behalf, but I wouldn't recommend it.

i dont have a company car i just drive to work.
    I could easily just tell my employer that ive decided to walk to work and what are they going to say to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The interesting thing is when do they decide to charge you. I have a car but I only take it to work once or twice a month if I have to go out and meet clients. Do I have to pay this levy or am I exempt? How do they administer it, do the benefits outweigh the costs of running and enforcing it?

From my perspective it seems to be an ill thought out hair brained scheme designed to placate the Greens and give their supporters the appearance that they are making a difference in government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Thanks for that info

Have they stated specifically where this will apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

Not yet. It has to be passed into law (I think this has happened) and then the Minister for Finance will issue a decree stating where is in and where is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Define urban though

I work in the Raheen Industrial estate in Limerick so I am wondering if this applies. Raheen is technically in county Limerick as it is outside the city limits, but I would definitely call it urban

• Advertisement
Advertisement