Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€192 to transfer insurance!!

Options
  • 24-11-2008 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I rung insure.ie today to transfer my insurance from a 1.2 Corsa to a 1.3 Fiesta.

They told me it will cost €192 and they won't cover me until I pay it so I'm stuck without a car at the moment.

Does this price seem very high for a step-up of only .1 litre? Paid €770 for fully comp on the Corsa.

Anyone have any ideas how I could get the cost lowered? I'm with AXA through insure.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

feck that is some hop alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Wow, really sounds like they are being right sh*ts with you...
    Does sound a hefty jump, but that's ins. co.'s Not willing to insure you until you pay in full, & not just doing the bloody transfer is what would piss me off...customer loyalty/satisfaction my a....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Check around other insurance companies and see if you can get a better deal. Just bear in mind that whatever no claims you have earned on your current policy up to now will be lost.

When I got a new car at the start of the year it was cheaper to cancel and loose 6 months no claim that to stay on cover with the company I was with through another broker.

went to insure.ie and got cover for 12 moths that cost the same as staying with the other company. Funny thing is the insurance was with the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

Would AXA do it for me for would I have to go through insure.ie? Might get it cheaper from AXA would I?

I threatened to cancel my policy but they just said I'd end up losing more because AXA take 20% before anything else and didn't seem to care.

They don't care mate how old is the policy? As i said above start shopping around and see if you can get the policy cheaper through someone else. Ring Axa Direct and see what their quote is.

Axa may be charging 20% but insure are charging 5 % on top of that.

• Advertisement

alexmcred wrote: »
    They don't care mate how old is the policy? As i said above start shopping around and see if you can get the policy cheaper through someone else. Ring Axa Direct and see what their quote is.

Axa may be charging 20% but insure are charging 5 % on top of that.

I appreciate the reply but the thing is I'll lose too much from cancelling the current policy anyway even if I get a cheaper quote which I doubt I will as I got quotes from everywhere and insure.ie was the cheapest. The policy is only a month old.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

They have to give you a pro rata refund minus an admin fee which has to be a reasonable amount .ie 25 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

take your case to axa, complain, what have you to lose

Ok so your policy is now costing you €962 plus your first month installment. If you can't get a quote cheaper then I'm afraid there really is nothing you can do. You can call AXA but I'd say that will just refer you back to your broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Enquire with Axa about taking a higher excess for the rest of the 12 months and then go back to the standard excess. If they say "we dont do that". Say "yes you do you lying fvcking bitch"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Is your new car alot younger? I.e. a brand new car would cost more to insure because if you write if off it will cost more to replace as opposed to a 4/5/6 year old car wont be worth as much so it wont be as expensive to replace. Thats my thinkin on it anyhow...

As for not being insured on it until you pay - you should be able to do a temperary substitution on your current policy - most allow for up to a month on a different car.

Is your new car alot younger? I.e. a brand new car would cost more to insure because if you write if off it will cost more to replace as opposed to a 4/5/6 year old car wont be worth as much so it wont be as expensive to replace. Thats my thinkin on it anyhow...

As for not being insured on it until you pay - you should be able to do a temperary substitution on your current policy - most allow for up to a month on a different car.

It's a only a year newer and worth around the same. I'm shocked at how much they are looking for. I'm going to ring AXA in the morning anyway and see what they can do, probably not much. Should I mention I am being charged €192 to them or just call and ask can they switch it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

If they say "we dont do that". Say "yes you do you lying fvcking bitch"

lol must remember that next time i ring :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

cost me 170 to change from a 1.2 punto to a 1.9 bmw 318is. i was pleased. horsepower jump of nearly 100.

i was pleased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

dave_t wrote: »
    I rung insure.ie today to transfer my insurance from a 1.2 Corsa to a 1.3 Fiesta.

They told me it will cost €192 and they won't cover me until I pay it so I'm stuck without a car at the moment.

Does this price seem very high for a step-up of only .1 litre? Paid €770 for fully comp on the Corsa.

Anyone have any ideas how I could get the cost lowered? I'm with AXA through insure.ie

Before you go shopping around for quotes from other insurers, try ringing insure.ie again to see if you get the same price. It's conceivable that one of the girls in the call centre just made a f**k up. And remember that these brokers often have to ring the actual insurers to get a price for the sub so its also possible that someone in axa made a f**k up and insure.ie just didn't question it.

Friend of mine told me a very amusing story about a quinn direct employee who didn't have the slightest clue what there were doing. I'll leave that one for another day.

Advertisement