Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing VAT in Ireland?

Options
  • 24-11-2008 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

The UK vat rate cut is getting positive reviews from economists over there. The Irish government has said it’s not an option here, why not? Then they are moaning that shoppers are going north to avail of cheaper groceries, cars etc. reducing vat rates will increase sales resulting in overall higher vat returns, this is what the brits are banking on.

The governement reminds me of diagio, trying to get people to go to pubs by increasing prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

spadder wrote: »
    The UK vat rate cut is getting positive reviews from economists over there. The Irish government has said it’s not an option here, why not? Then they are moaning that shoppers are going north to avail of cheaper groceries, cars etc. reducing vat rates will increase sales resulting in overall higher vat returns, this is what the brits are banking on.

The governement reminds me of diagio, trying to get people to go to pubs by increasing prices.

Because they're carrying on the great Irish political tradition of forcing mass-emigration so that the migrants can send vast sums of money back to Ireland to pay for the running of the country.

They just cannot afford to play with the big boys and never could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The UK vat rate cut is getting positive reviews from economists over there. The Irish government has said it’s not an option here, why not?

Probably don't have the cash to take the short term hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

but if people are going north in their thousands to spend, the state is losing everyway. I think Lenihan should look at this urgently, at least drop vat 'till xmas to get people to spend in the ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You're assuming UK retailers are going to pass on the cut to get consumers spending. Retailers here are already cutting prices and it doesn't seem to be doing much apart from the lady on TV3 lastnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Firstly, the Government can't afford to be taking the risk that reducing VAT will boost spending down here and secondly, even if our VAT was the same it wouldn't surprise me if the North was still significantly cheaper as it seems irish retailers are only now coming to terms with the fact they won't be able to charge extortionate prices and tbh the damage to their reputation is already done. Perception is now on the side of the North's retail sector and no short term measure will be any significant dent in the outflow of cash to the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is it something to do with having more imports here?

they were saying the uk and irish economy are different.

anyway c lenihan said on Q&A it was no go.

is it something to do with having more imports here?

they were saying the uk and irish economy are different.

anyway c lenihan said on Q&A it was no go.

so it's off to Newry we go.

They just done a vox pop on newstalk ( moncreif) I would say 90% of the people said they are heading north.
    I think this is very dangerous to our economy Cowen has to address this urgently. It will cost us dearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

i wonder if someone knows the answer given the info above: if the Irish government dropped VAT to 15% to match the UK would the price of most items be the same, more or less ?
    Of course any VAT drop in Ireland would mean that shoppers would have to work out overall is their day trip costing them more. But the question is more related to items like clothes, electronic goods etc..... I suppose the adage should be better to have the monies in the pocket than to be thinking it should be there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    i wonder if someone knows the answer given the info above: if the Irish government dropped VAT to 15% to match the UK would the price of most items be the same, more or less ?
    More. Earlier this year I priced a bicycle in Halfords UK at £100. The same bicycle in Halfords Ireland was €225. I drove to Omagh and bought two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

most goods in Ireland seem to be based on an exchange rate of about €1.50 to £1.00 I guess to take into account the VAT difference etc, but the exchange rate is somewhere around €1.18 to £1.00 at the moment, so even with a VAT drop of 6.5% it still makes sense to head north.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I seem to remember that when the government lowered the VAT rate to 20% prices didn't go down and when they raised it to 21% again prices went up. I know supposedly you charge whatever you can get for a product but in Ireland we really seem to have taken that to heart and the Irish people have taken it lying down. And as OP said drink prices have been going up and sales going down. Traditional economic logic would say if sales are going down you would be more competitive on price but in Ireland we seem to manage to do the opposite. This year I've been more picky about what I pay for goods/services than I ever have as we're being utterly screwed, if we all do this we might see some change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its too high anyway though isn't compared to the rest of europe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

nope, stuffs overpriced here anyway, theres an irish retail mindset outside the big stores anyway that you never reduce prices ever for anything you only put them up and thats here the price disparity has come from. now some shops are going to have stock bought at 1.50 to the pound they really are going to have to drop prices 30 - 40% to compete. i bought a camera on the internet €120 couldnt even find anything locally (even in argos at that price). all my big ticket items are bought in the north. i try to shop down here but its getting very difficult to justify spending the amounts here (last years booze for christmas was bought in derry must have been half the price of down here). as other posters have said the gov. have to do something but what? Business wont wake up until its too late cant see the gov. doing anything after building an economy on building 80000 houses a year (who in their right mind thought that would continue) guess we are all screwed

Alan Dukes calling for a vat reduction on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

and who is alan duke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

In response to a downturn my local pub put up his prices and reduced his opening hours.

In a normal country they would drop prices or do something crazy like that.

In Britland they have offers like a pint and a burger for a fiver, irish businessmen don't have the imagination to come up with something like that, the only option they look at is gouging the customer.

This is all going to end very badly unless these greedy f*ckers wake up and see their customer base is seriously teed off.

and who is alan duke?

Former leader of FG, quite a sharp man imho

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Dukes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

dresden8 wrote: »
    In response to a downturn my local pub put up his prices and reduced his opening hours.

In a normal country they would drop prices or do something crazy like that.

In Britland they have offers like a pint and a burger for a fiver, irish businessmen don't have the imagination to come up with something like that, the only option they look at is gouging the customer.

This is all going to end very badly unless these greedy f*ckers wake up and see their customer base is seriously teed off.

That never ceases to amaze me. The Thomas Read group just went into examinership and I don't rate their chances as they are charging some of the heftist prices in town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TheGermanMan

Most EU countries reducing VAT/ give other reductions to the inhabitants.
    E.g. Shops reducing the prices to sell more! Especially during christmas.
    Here they raise prices and rip-off the people - but even worser, nearly
    noone is doing something against it - most people still trust in the Government Heroes.
    Instead of keeping the money in the country they offer most of the Irish
    (at least the East Cost :mad:) the opportunity to get their shopping done to a much lower price than in the IREP - Fantastic Maneuver :confused:

It's time to stand up my Irish fellows before another large-scale emigration will come up - maybe it already started.

So to all people close to NIRL I wish you all a nice shopping around
    pre-Christmas period and to all the other fellows, not living so close,
    a hopeful pre-Christmas period - hopefully the goverment get bso much pressure from the people also to reduce the VAT.

So long

The German Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The way I see it is reducing vat will stimulate the economy by encouraging spending. Otherwise people will go online and make even bigger savings than they normally do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

ninty9er wrote: »
    You're assuming UK retailers are going to pass on the cut to get consumers spending. Retailers here are already cutting prices and it doesn't seem to be doing much apart from the lady on TV3 lastnight.

I was in Belfast last weekend and plenty of retailers had already applied the VAT decrease (ahead of its actual implimentation date today) and were advertising the fact.

Just wait till the exchequer figures come out for this period, we will have Cowen & co saying this is very serious and we will have to form a committee to look at the vat rate.

Cowen, you don’t need a committee, you need to look at the traffic going north, the VAT rate needs addressing right now! We are loosing millions every day in vat.

Just wait till the exchequer figures come out for this period, we will have Cowen & co saying this is very serious and we will have to form a committee to look at the vat rate.

Cowen, you don’t need a committee, you need to look at the traffic going north, the VAT rate needs addressing right now! We are loosing millions every day in vat.

The question is will even a significant VAT cut put a dent in that trend or has the damage already been done to the Irish retail sector?

Personally, a VAT cut is completely useless at the moment and the Government would be better served saving that move for when things start to pickup again (probably not til 2010). The public has a notoriously short memory in general and if VAT were reduced when things are just starting to pickup, it would give a further jumpstart to the economy, rather than hopelessly trying to stop the significant reduction in our retail sector. Of course, the Government will also use this to buy votes but if people are incapable of retaining their anger about their handling of our economy for the last decade for more than the duration of the worst times, then more fool them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

the retail cost base is apparently significantly higher here. That goes for everything from rents (hello property boom again!), rates, wages and the amount that is set aside to cover pilfering. And currency fluctuations with teh £ in free fall need to be considered. The recent small rise in our VAT coupled with the larger cut in the UK is only one factor, and a fairly small one at that.

Cutting VAT to 15% down here will reduce the difference in prices but won't eliminate teh price difference so you'll still have shoppers heading North (or to NYC). So you will have the double whammy of lower tax rates on lower volumes (rather than higher tax rates on lower volumes, as at present).

TBH I'm not convinced that simply getting consumers spending again down here is the answer anyway. As long as our cost base remains high across all sectors we are going to continue to shed jobs and I don't see how it is responsible to be encouraging people to spend at the moment when the short term future is so uncertain for most.

Banks need recapitalisation - hard cash - and consumers face financial difficulties. It might be time to bite the bullet with another SSIA type scheme to encourage people to save in the short term to protect themselves in case of a job loss rather than saddle themselves with more debt. And the influx of deposits helps stabilise the banks.

The question is will even a significant VAT cut put a dent in that trend or has the damage already been done to the Irish retail sector?

It's a start, as the saying goes, "if you look after the pennies...."
    like running a business, everything has to be watched

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

i think that's the various vintners assocation you are referring to. A cartel if there ever was one. Proven beyond doubt this week when they said that they would freeze prices.
    The Competition Authority needs to raid just about every industrial sector in Ireland and patch up the deficit with some serious business crushing fines.
    That's the reason everything is so expensive here.
    And dropping the VAT will do **** all. They will not pass it on to us.

It's a start, as the saying goes, "if you look after the pennies...."
    like running a business, everything has to be watched

The problem is that the Government is already on very thin ice in terms of its debt levels and is going to find it hard to justify a definite drop in VAT revenue in the hope that this will have some kind of appreciable effect on the exodus up North. A VAT drop, imo, will have little or no effect and thus the reduction is rendered pointless. Plus, the Government has already U-turned enough, they are going to have to stand by some of their fiscal measures or we'll be here next year, looking at the far more serious cuts that will be needed by that stage if nothing is done now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

joe public payes the goverments wages, joe public bailed out the banks, insurance, and builders, and developers, so why the feck should he have to subsidise the rip off merchants,

Advertisement