Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IP issues with wireless network, help appreciated!

• 24-11-2008 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently changed my router to a Zyxel 660hw-t1. It works fine when wired to a pc, but the wireless is proving tricky. I'm not particularly good with computers, so thought I'd seek help from people who know more than I do...

When I try to log onto the network wirelessly [with my ipod for the moment] it registers an IP address of 169.24X.XXX.XXX which i presume is the IP address of my connection to the ISP instead of the expected 192.168.1.X..., so there's some sort of forwarding or bridging going on that my primitive mind cannot comprehend, any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The 168 address is an address that your iPod has assigned because it can't pick one up properly. Its useless to be honest.

You need to enable DHCP on the router or give your iPod a static address.

If you're not up to speed with IP address's let me know and I'll try and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

thanks for the amazingly quick reply....!

yeah im pretty much clueless, iv spent two hours on google, n im more clueless to be honest.... dhcp is enabled, but under the settings, both primary and secondary dns server are 0.0.0.0, does this matter?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

169.254 = has given up looking for an address
    192.168 = got an address ( or remembers an old one )
    0.0.0.0 = is looking for an address

sounds like you may not have have the wireless password in correctly , does it say connected ?

Nope, you should have the DNS from your ISP in at least the first DNS box.

Take a print screen of the DHCP settings page on your router , don't worry we can't do anything with them and post it so I can take a look.

cool, does this pic have info? im with BT broadband by the way [not by choice!]

• Advertisement

That looks ok riddik, apart from the missing DNS entry. You'll need to find out what that is.

What you could do is give your iPod a static address for testing purposes ex .
    IP : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Then the DNS, but you'll have to find out what it is for BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

KTRIC wrote: »
    That looks ok riddik, apart from the missing DNS entry. You'll need to find out what that is.

What you could do is give your iPod a static address for testing purposes ex .
    IP : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Then the DNS, but you'll have to find out what it is for BT.
    You don't need to put in the DNS, that's completely optional and has nothing to do with the iPod not connecting wirelessly.

And don't change the settings on the Zyxel or make it a Static IP address either (your asking for IP conflicts in this situation).

That IP address comes up when the connection is limited - 90% of the time because of an incorrect wireless encryption key.

OP, is this the First of Second Generation iPod Touch?

Are you connecting to a secure wireless network or is it open?

If secure, what type of security did you use? (WEP, WPA-PSK etc.)

Username! wrote: »
    You don't need to put in the DNS, that's completely optional and has nothing to do with the iPod not connecting wirelessly.

LOL, DNS optional !!! :rolleyes:

The OP didn't mention anything about it not connecting wirelessly. He said he wasn't getting an IP, theres a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

KTRIC wrote: »
    LOL, DNS optional !!! :rolleyes:

The OP didn't mention anything about it not connecting wirelessly. He said he wasn't getting an IP, theres a difference.
    Yes, optional details to fill in on the router as they are automatically assigned by the ISP since the Zyxel P660HW-T1 is an ADSL2+ router.

Secondly, he emphasised it about it not connecting wirelessly...
    riddik wrote: »
    ...It works fine when wired to a pc, but the wireless is proving tricky...

...When I try to log onto the network wirelessly [with my ipod for the moment] it registers an IP address of 169.24X.XXX.XXX which i presume is the IP address of my connection to the ISP instead of the expected 192.168.1.X...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wireless networks work on magic and can't be thought of rationally. Offer gifts to your local wizard and see if he can remove the hex.

Is the Ipod the only thing you have to connect wirelessly? Use a laptop to make sure it's working at all. Use static IPs to ping the router. If it's anything like the networks I've set up, it will eventually just decide to work when it's had it's fun watching you go insane trying to figure out whats wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ScumLord wrote: »
    Wireless networks work on magic and can't be thought of rationally. Offer gifts to your local wizard and see if he can remove the hex.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke

thanks all, yeah i used a computer and laptop [running xp on the lappy, i dont fully trust vista wen it comes to networks] but i eventually gave up, plugged the wireless modem router into an old plain wireless router i had and got it going in a daft way, but itl do for now, i just got too pissed off. scumlord i think your spot on, and that last quote by the captain is frickin hilarious!

anyway thanks for all your contributions, genuinely appreciate it
    R

Advertisement