Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor claim question

• 24-11-2008 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can advise me on the following.
    Was hit from behind while i was sitting in traffic a while back. Had 2 kids in car , 3rd party admitted liability so no issues there. 3rd partys insurance company has agreed on repairs for car, replacement of car seats and has asked about a personal claim. One child hurt head and neck and is complaining now and again other child has started having night terrors and bed wetting. I am going for physio as suffered minor whiplash.
    They have offered a sum but to be honest i think its a bit low. Do the insurance companies normally offer a low sum first. Said i was to come back with a figure i thought reasonable. Doctor does not think i will have any long term problems .
    Not sure what a reasonable figure is ! Dont really want to have to go to solicitor as i said doctor thinks i should be ok in a few weeks/months.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

nutzzz123 wrote: »
    Not sure what a reasonable figure is ! Dont really want to have to go to solicitor as i said doctor thinks i should be ok in a few weeks/months.

You should understand something, the insurance company are not on your side, their only interest is in wanting to get out of this by paying you the minimum amount possible. In the circumstances, I really can't understand the logic in not going to a solicitor, the only people who stand to benefit from this approach is the insurance company and it could be to your or children's severe detriment. You don't have the knowledge nor the experience to negotiate with the insurance companies and you certainly won't get it on the internet. You need a trained professional.

OP, do yourself a favour and make an appointment to see a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

+1

See a solicitor asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tom-d

insurance companies deal with this every day and try to pay as little as possible...
    you (i assume) have never faced this situation
    Your solicitor will have delt with similar situations before and will know what to do

Solicitor asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

I'd recommend going to a solicitor.

Insurance Companies always offer much less then what your injuries are worth. Even going through the PIAB system costs them money so if they can aviod it, they will.

Are you talking about a lump sum for just yourself or yourself and your two children? If the lump sum involves yourself and the two children, you will need a Solicitor as the the sum awarded to the children will have to be ruled in Court and lodged into Court until they reach the age of 18.

Advertisement